Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Mountain - Plains
Reload this Page >

Anyone else get a Glorious ride in Denver Metro Area Today?

Search
Notices
Mountain - Plains Colorado | Kansas | Missouri | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-04, 04:21 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Anyone else in Denver Metro Area get out today?

Temp in 50's, melting snow alongside the trail, little wind, 100's of geese overhead, blue sky, wife and I did a nice 20 mile ride. Just glorious!
Old 12-28-04, 12:03 PM

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went skiing on Sunday, but did get a bit of a ride in yesterday and rode down to work today. Fantastic weather!
Old 12-28-04, 04:15 PM
Banned.

Another glorious ride.

Sunny
Temp - about 53F
Wind 10-15 mph from SW

Gear: Khaki Shorts, undershirt and sweatshirt and shoes and socks and helmet.
Mileage 18.3.

Specialized HR w/ two panniers
Old 01-23-05, 04:22 PM
Banned.

Again, today - temp 70+, wife and I did 20 miles. Beautiful, but why is it so warm in January in Denver? Scares me a bit.
Old 01-23-05, 04:30 PM

Bikes: 2006 custom Walt Works roadie, 2003 Fuji Finest (road), 2002 Giant Iguana (mtb), 1986 BMW K75 (motor)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh man it was fookin' awesome!

Rode three laps at the Cherry Creek reservoir... there were 100s of people there, at least half were on bikes. I had my new tires pumped to 135psi -- a test since I normally ride 115 -- and was gonna hit Wash Park, but after 40 miles, I just went home. Harder tires I think wore me down. But I bet the ladies were out in full force at wash park

"...why is it so warm in January in Denver? Scares me a bit."
-- dude, it's been freezing lately, don't jinx us it was 40*F yesterday, right?

Think I'll jump on my scooter and go spend some money at the LBS.
Old 01-23-05, 07:04 PM
Beauty Everywhere

Bikes: 2006 Giant Anthem, Specialized Dolce Elite 05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awww. The weather was wonderful today!!! Didn't get the chance to ride today, but definitely plan on it tomorrow. Instead washed cars, took the dog for a walk which he loved more then me. We are very lucky to be enjoying such nice weather in January!!! Thats why I love this state!!
Old 01-23-05, 07:14 PM
Luggite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup, took a ride around Cherry Creek Reservoir as well. Upper 60s, shorts and short sleeve shirt, sunscreen!
Old 01-24-05, 10:25 AM
contrarian

Bikes: 80's ross road bike/commuter, 80's team miyata, 90's haro mtb xtracycle conversion, koga mitaya world traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup, awesome day! The dog was happy, I was happy and I even got my roomie to do a commute test ride. woot! I do hope we get more snow, tho. I am concerned with water shortages.
Old 01-24-05, 06:51 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Bella Novara Pulse

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to Chatfield yesterday, although Cherry Creek is always great. I don't have a computer on my bike, can anyone tell me how many miles one lap around Cherry Creek Reservior is?
Old 01-24-05, 07:12 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by psiphi
I went to Chatfield yesterday, although Cherry Creek is always great. I don't have a computer on my bike, can anyone tell me how many miles one lap around Cherry Creek Reservior is?
Straight around, without any side trails, about 9 miles. My wife and I start at the two mile extension of the CCT that dead ends on Caley at the Valley Country Club, ride down to the loop road, go around the reservoir one time, head back up the two mile extension, turn left on the Piney Creek Trail and go to where the library used to be and have lunch at the Piney Creek Inn, then head back on down and to our car. About 15-17 miles, depending on whether or not you take any of the other roads/trails in the park.

From the Carson Nature Center on the Platte River Trail to the Marina at Chatfield is 10 miles one way. Dwontown is 14 miles from the Carson Nature Center .

For a really fun ride, ride your mountain bike up from the west side of Chatfield (the dirt road by the ponds) through the Audubon Nature Center and Waterton Parking lot, go up to the top of Waterton Canyon

then back down again. Great fun ride, and if you want you can do single track at the top.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-24-05 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-24-05, 07:14 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by lala
Yup, awesome day! The dog was happy, I was happy and I even got my roomie to do a commute test ride. woot! I do hope we get more snow, tho. I am concerned with water shortages.
Do you go much on the trail from Palmer Lake by the AF Academy to and through CS? My wife and I did that once and it was fun.
Old 01-24-05, 09:55 PM

Bikes: Trek 7300 FSX, Jamis Exile, Jamis Coda Sport, Raleigh Technium, Dahon Vitesse, Dahon Matrix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plan to enjoy some riding in the Boulder area during Spring Break (March 5-13). I'd like to test a 2004 Dahon Matrix with Hutchison Python tires (reportedly very good on hard packed trails, very bad in mud). Do the trails tend to get very muddy in Spring? I've only experienced these trails when it's summer time and the ridin' is easy ;-) Also what are your favorite single-track trails?

Old 01-24-05, 10:04 PM

Bikes: 2006 custom Walt Works roadie, 2003 Fuji Finest (road), 2002 Giant Iguana (mtb), 1986 BMW K75 (motor)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leo C. Driscoll
Plan to enjoy some riding in the Boulder area during Spring Break (March 5-13). I'd like to test a 2004 Dahon Matrix with Hutchison Python tires (reportedly very good on hard packed trails, very bad in mud). Do the trails tend to get very muddy in Spring? I've only experienced these trails when it's summer time and the ridin' is easy ;-) Also what are your favorite single-track trails?

I loved my Pythons, but they wore down too quickly.

Muddy in Spring? Are you cuz you're joking? It can get extremely muddy and deep like a tar pit. My favorite mtb race at Winter Park was the trail used for the 24-hour adrenalin... I had to pick my bike up and run 100yds at one point cuz it was just too deep. Felt like snowshoeing without the shoes I <3 mud

Favorite trail... all of 'em check out https://trailcentral.com/trail/index.php?county=Boulder
Old 01-25-05, 06:58 AM
Big Man Riding...

Bikes: '07 Fuji Roubaix RC, '04 Kona Hoss, '95 Cannondale RT2000 Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got out on Sunday (the 23rd) as well and it was a great day! Rode the Platte River Trail in Littleton. Better still, I rented a bike, got my girlfriend to ride for the first time in about 10 years and she LOVED IT! Now she's talking about buying a bike and riding with me frequently! Life is good...

Dnvr - Waterton is one of my favorite trails for a decent workout. The main dirt road is 13 miles up and back with a gentle incline - just enough of one to get the heart really pumping in spots. I'm guessing it's probably still pretty icy in areas now though. May have to take a ride up there soon if the nice weather continues and take a look...
Old 01-25-05, 07:22 AM
Banned.

Dnvr - Waterton is one of my favorite trails for a decent workout. The main dirt road is 13 miles up and back with a gentle incline - just enough of one to get the heart really pumping in spots. I'm guessing it's probably still pretty icy in areas now though. May have to take a ride up there soon if the nice weather continues and take a look...
If you add in the Chatfield piece, you can get 30-40 miles, depending on where you start.
Old 01-25-05, 09:13 AM
contrarian

Bikes: 80's ross road bike/commuter, 80's team miyata, 90's haro mtb xtracycle conversion, koga mitaya world traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't really explored much recently. I'm just now getting back on the bike after a long hiatus. (Remember, I come from the flatland. ) I'm pleased though, because I going to start commuting to work.

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Do you go much on the trail from Palmer Lake by the AF Academy to and through CS? My wife and I did that once and it was fun.
Old 01-25-05, 09:21 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by lala
I haven't really explored much recently. I'm just now getting back on the bike after a long hiatus. (Remember, I come from the flatland. ) I'm pleased though, because I going to start commuting to work.
This trail follows an old rail line so it is pretty flat, except for a small section near the Air Force Academy. It was closed at the Academy right after the 9/11 incident, but I understand it has since reopened. This trail should eventually connect Denver to Colorado Springs (as did the bike trail 100 years ago which was torn out with the coming of the auto!).

Congrats on the commute.

Monument to where?
Old 01-25-05, 09:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Show of hands...

Who thinks DFox needs to lead us on some rides? The dude knows every trail!
Old 01-25-05, 09:58 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by LordOpie
Show of hands...

Who thinks DFox needs to lead us on some rides? The dude knows every trail!
I'm afraid my wife and I would be run over by the "younger set."

Our church has an "XYZ" club for we "seniors." Isn't that the most Gosh-Awful name - "XYZ."

Generally they get in the van and go visit things such as the "Doll Show." Just my and my wife's cup of tea - yeah, right. And a whole bunch of other "senior" folks don't attend either, because they like to DO things, not just look at things.

Anyway, I am organizing and leading some walking and bicycling trips starting in late March, just as soon as I can get some responses to the church's liability coverage for these types of events.

You are welcome to join us!

Our first walk will be 1.25 miles around a lake. Yeah, didn't want to start off with anything too strenuous! I imagine the first bicycle ride will be under 10 miles, as anything over 10 miles seems to scare folks.

Join us!
Old 01-25-05, 10:23 AM
contrarian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actuallly the commute is monument to just into the academy. There's a spur off the trail that goes up to the lexus/nexus and oracle bldgs. My work is close on by. I'm so lazy though: it's only an 8 mile (one way) commute, but I am very bad in the morning. (I used to do a 35-40 mile (round trip) commute in Cleveland.) Tonight I am getting everything set up for the morning. So I just have to wake up, get out of bed, on the commute clothes, walk the dog, grab a bite, then go!

This trail follows an old rail line so it is pretty flat, except for a small section near the Air Force Academy. It was closed at the Academy right after the 9/11 incident, but I understand it has since reopened. This trail should eventually connect Denver to Colorado Springs (as did the bike trail 100 years ago which was torn out with the coming of the auto!).

Congrats on the commute.

Monument to where?
Old 01-25-05, 11:55 AM
Big Man Riding...

Bikes: '07 Fuji Roubaix RC, '04 Kona Hoss, '95 Cannondale RT2000 Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LordOpie
Show of hands... Who thinks DFox needs to lead us on some rides?
Right here!
Old 01-26-05, 03:40 PM
Banned.

Well, it was 47F today, and the wife and I did several miles at Cherry Creek Reservoir. Never thought I would ride with her at 47F! She loved it (by the way, she outdates me by two years at 67yo). I had already ridden a bit on the Highline Canal, so the CC Ride was a nice dessert.
Old 01-26-05, 06:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I spent a month over Christmas in Lakewood and loved the trails around Bear Creek and into Denver downtown.

I wish my hometown had the same enthusiasm for cycling.
Old 01-26-05, 07:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(by the way, she outdates me by two years...).
Dude, I'm a big fan of the older ladies too!

PS: Much jealousy abounds that you got to ride during the day
Old 01-31-05, 01:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello fellow Metro Denver riders! I enjoyed reading where everyone rode on those beautiful days last weekend (Jan 22-23).

I've been riding the Chatfield/Waterton Canyon area the last couple of months, but I'm in need of suggestions on some new routes. At the moment, I'm riding my mountain bike waiting for dryer conditions before I bring out my road bike. I've been having problems in Chatfield and even going up Waterton Canyon with unleashed dogs. Does anyone know of places I can ride my mountain bike at this time of year without many unleashed dogs?

Also, I need some route suggestions when I do finally get on my road bike. I like to ride between 80 to 100 miles a ride. Last summer my regular route ran from my apartment in Highlands Ranch to the South Platte bike path up to Confluence Park, then to Cherry Creek Reservoir, through and then out of the park. When I reached between 40-50 miles, I would turn around and follow the same route back home. For a change of pace, I would sometimes ride from my apartment, take the bike path to Golden and then up Lookout Mountain and back for a 65 mile ride. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.