Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hairline crack in top of seatpost -- clamp around it from tandem stoker stem

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-12, 12:29 AM

Bikes: '00 Kona Yee Ha, '83 Schwinn World (fix), '96 KHS Montana Descent (w/ RS XC-32), '05 Fort Ro.SLC (totaled), '01 Burley Rumba tandem, '15 Mattioli R1, '14 Nashbar Big Ol' Fat Bike, '96 Fuji Marlboro folder (drops), '04 Jamis Satellite, '04 Giant TCX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, I know, this is a terrible idea, and I am planning on replacing the seatpost eventually, but mechanically, I'm pretty sure I'm right about this.

I got this fine SR Sakae 26.6mm aluminum seatpost off a used hardtail mountain bike. I noticed it had a hairline crack at the top of it, and so I immediately replaced it with a 26.8mm seatpost -- the size that probably *should* have been in there to begin with. Here's what the crack looks like:

Fast-forward a few months, and I find myself in need of replacing a 26.6mm captain's seatpost on my tandem. (That's a whole other saga.) Well, so now I find myself in possession of this perfectly sized seatpost with a crack at the top.

Thing is, this is the captain's seat on a tandem, and the crack lives PRECISELY underneath where the stoker stem clamps on, like this:

Now, I intend to keep an eye on the crack and see if it grows, and plan to replace the seatpost for good measure anyway, but I think that the physics of this clamp should completely negate the weakness posed by the crack. Aren't I right, or am I smoking crack?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMGP0319.jpg (93.4 KB, 50 views)
Old 03-31-12, 07:28 AM

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
"I...plan to replace the seatpost for good measure anyway" I think that if it were my bike I would follow that plan before I rode the bike again. Why risk riding with a known, easily-correctable defect that could cause you injury? What other, unseen damage might there be? The clamp might hold it together but then again, it might not. Why take unnecessary chances?
Old 03-31-12, 08:18 AM

Bikes: '00 Kona Yee Ha, '83 Schwinn World (fix), '96 KHS Montana Descent (w/ RS XC-32), '05 Fort Ro.SLC (totaled), '01 Burley Rumba tandem, '15 Mattioli R1, '14 Nashbar Big Ol' Fat Bike, '96 Fuji Marlboro folder (drops), '04 Jamis Satellite, '04 Giant TCX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Why take unnecessary chances?
Because that's how I roll.

Point taken -- I agree, the risk to reward isn't necessarily worth it here. But still, the answer to the physics question is what I'm after.

Last edited by pocky; 03-31-12 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-31-12, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the stroker stem clamp will act as a fine splint, for a temporary measure. However, it is a tandem, you are risking not just yourself if you have a stroker. Something to think about.
Old 03-31-12, 09:16 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The split is in the Seat post tube, is because of the plug in the top,the saddle clamp portion,
and the rider's weight and the terrain ridden and hours of use combining to fatigue the aluminum.

past for a new seat post.

common to deal with cracks in aluminum is drilling a hole at the bottom of cracks ...

but this is replacement with zero hours time.
Old 03-31-12, 02:47 PM
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Geez, that's a disaster waiting to happen. The stoker stem is trying to crush the flawed seatpost and there is nothing "stenting" the inside to resist these crushing forces, is the way I see it. If you really can't find a 26.6 seatpost without a crack in it, I'll give you a spare SR Sakae I have, for free. There is nothing wrong with it. I had replaced it with a zero-setback post to give my stoker a little more room on our old tandem. Only thing is, I had sawn it off so the length from the centre of the saddle clamp cradles to the end is only 175 mm -- I'm a shortie. You won't be able to have as much sticking out above the seat lug as you show in your photo but really if you can use it, you're welcome to it.

PM me if you're interested.
Old 03-31-12, 03:10 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
The question you need to ask yourself is how deep deyond the crack would you want to insert the seatpost in a frame to feel safe. If you use the minimum insertion mark as a guide, then you'd want about 2" or so for the crack to not be a factor. Even allowing for pushing the limits you'd still want 1" of overlap at a bare minimum.

If the crack is perfectly centered in the stem, that's only 1/2" on either side. So would you ride a bike with a stem post or stem having only that much overlap?

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-01-12, 08:29 AM

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why would you even consider risking your life and the lives of others to save buying a $20 part?