Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need help with sun protection

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Need help with sun protection

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-04, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts

Last edited by CrimsonEclipse; 04-18-18 at 03:50 AM.
Old 12-27-04, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12193 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
Long sleeve jerseys. CoolMax Alta is great stuff if you can find a jersey made of it. If you can find pants or tights you like you can have a chamois sewn in. You can buy spray on sunbock now. It's not bad, it's what I use. No lotion, just the block in spray form.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ection&spell=1
Old 12-27-04, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find I have 3 problem areas when I go out in the sun for long rides and I forgot to slap on some suntan cream - back of neck, nose and lips. The neck is the easiest to deal with since you can just wear a collared shirt or jersey. The nose can be protected to a certain extent by a visored bike helmet and I always keep some SPF lip balm in my bike bag.
Old 12-27-04, 07:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What exactly do you object about sunblock? It can be very effective, especially in areas that are difficult to cover...face, ears, neck, back of hands, etc. Many formulations are non-greasy, waterproof and easy to apply.

As for clothing, cotton works quite well in warm weather. An inexpensive long sleeve cotton shirt with button front and collar could offer protection. If I understand correctly, the average All-American t-shirt has an SPF rating of only 7-12, or so. Not enough for your back. You could combine a thin t-shirt under a collared, long sleeve shirt. Leaving the buttons mostly undone would provide ventilation.

Sun Precautions makes a line of clothing designed especially for sun protection. Their cycling jersey seems well thought-out...but it ain't cheap.

Scott
Old 12-27-04, 08:04 PM

Hi,
I just found this... https://www.coppertone.com/sunless/ul...sunscreen.html

Might be worth a try.
Old 12-27-04, 08:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate heavy sunscreen as well, especially for my face. Someone recommended Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock to me and its really been great. Exactly as it sounds, non-greasy, feels light and "dry" on your skin. I could only find SPF 30 but I think it comes in SPF 45 as well.
Old 12-27-04, 10:29 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I use to live in the Mojave Desert of California and found out over the years riding in the summer heat there several things: first, long sleeve jerseys made you hotter thus sweated more; sunscreen made you hotter; white is the coolest color; loose fitting clothes were cooler then tight fitting (air is allowed to billow into the fabric keeping air circulating; and expensive (sale price) $75 jersey is no cooler then a cheap $12 Walmart DriStar jersey!! I also stored my tight fitting cycling shorts for slightly cooler weather in favor of the looser fitting MTB style short.

Now what about the skin problem you asked about. I found that a long sleeve Jersey was hotter then sunblock which was hotter then plain skin, but the possiblity of getting skin cancer is high for fair skinned folk (and even not fair skinned) so I choose the lesser of the hot evils and went with a non greasy SPF 45 or 50 sunscreen that blocked both UVA and UVB. Keep in mind that sunblock is different then sunscreen, sunblock when applied covers the skin and is opaque and the skin cannot be seen; sunscreen needs to be applied liberally (most people fail to apply enough and thus burn anyway, if not sure if you applied enough reapply) and you need to wait 20 to 30 minutes before going outside to give time for the skin to absorb it. Those SPF ratings simply mean that you can stay in the sun for up to 45 or 50 times longer then you could with no sunscreen before burning starts.
Old 12-28-04, 04:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CE,

Check out the following site for Solumbra products.

https://www.sunprecautions.com

Ron
Old 12-24-05, 10:53 AM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I admire all of the other answers to you solar problem. They attack the problem full on and pound it into submission. I tend to be a sneaky bastard. make love not war. My answer? Check out the light selection thread. Also most hot weather area clubs that I have joined have night rides. Talk to other night riders and find their favorite routes. I go for routes with good shoulders in case I have to bail out in the dark.
Old 12-24-05, 11:28 AM
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
White colored, long sleeved, coolmax, bike jerseys. Problem solved.
Old 12-24-05, 12:24 PM
Walkafire

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I have a little one in Girl Scouts, we just went over this to get her Enviromental Badge.

Sunscreen 15 (spd) will stop @95% of the harmful rays. (numbers are close)

Anything over spd 15 will help a little more % points.

Like spd 30 might block 96-97% Lots of web sites out there to find this info.

THe BEST is to COVER. Longsleeved shirts, Hats, etc....

CRIPES!!! I got sucked into it again.... thread is over a year old... I doubt the original poster is reading ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH! Love it when threads are "re-born"

Old 12-25-05, 05:36 PM
Sprockette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also like the neutrogena... it's more like lotion and not greasy at all.

I also use Antihelios sunblock 60 for my face, ears, etc (although my ears don't really stick out that much). It's a bit expensive but worth it. Nowadays, the way they make sunblocks has improved dramatically so they won't be thick, pasty and greasy. Antihelios is great and i recommend it highly.
Old 12-25-05, 09:50 PM

Antihelios is one of the best sunblocks available. It is much better than ANYTHING available in America. Eventually the FDA will move it's rear end and approve it. Unlike the others it protects the appearance of your skin over the long run.
Sun block is great, but it doesn't prevent all the damage the sun does.
Old 12-26-05, 10:35 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
This shirt works great for me in Hawaii

https://www.underarmour.com/ProductDe...201&pf_id=0085

And this sunscreen does not have the heavy feel the others do

https://www.coppertone.com/product.aspx?prodid=5