Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Interesting ride on the MUP

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-12, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts

Got in a ride on the local MUP last night(wearing my 50+ jersey, of course). It's been a while and I wanted to see what was 'new', plug it's traffic free(except for the cross streets) I went a few miles, and at the first cross street I see a 50+ couple, dressed in bike kit, standing by the gate. I carry tools, and I'm a good field mechanic, and a nice guy, so I say Hi, do you need any help? No, have a nice night. I ride a little further, and start to hear a woosh-woosh noise, then feel the back end getting a bit wobble. Didn't want to belive it, but yup, a flat. Good thing I got the stubby wrench for the seat bag. So, I set about fixing the flat. Get all the stuff out of the seatbag, and get start to get the thing fixed. A minute or two goes by, I'm standing there with the wheel off the bike, the tire half off the rim, and the two people I said hello to not 10 minutes before roll right past me, and didn't say a word! Thanks a lot folks! Not more than a minute later, two other people roll past. Again not a word! A minute later, two more guys, roll right by without a sound. WTF?!? You see somebody that could be in trouble, amd you don't say anything? Or am I just a sap for caring about people? I still have a hard time with six people passing somebody with a problem with the bike, and nobody said anything. Good thing it wasn't a serious issue, I'd still be laying there.
BTW, his is the offending nail;

But as always, there is no such thing as a bad ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
nail.jpg (80.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-05-12, 06:58 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
good lesson in etiquette. I've had people offer help and I've offerred help. I've never needed any nor have the people I offerred it to needed it. but you know what? we asked ... :-) thanks for sharing
Old 04-05-12, 07:03 AM

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It probably looked like you had everything under control and they didn't want to appear to be butting in.

Or they had no skills.

Or you had a crazy look in your eyes.

But, I agree, they could have said hi and are you OK.
Old 04-05-12, 07:16 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Sure seems like they all could have asked if you needed anything. Unfortunately people are becoming less caring and more self-centered. I always try to stop and ask if a stopped rider needs any help or to use my cell phone. I also wave at riders and pedestrians as I ride, this had gotten me more funny looks and snide remarks than if I was rude to them. No accounting for taste or manners.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-05-12, 09:16 AM

Bikes: '09 fisher zembrano, '92 schwinn frontier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you read the newspaper, surf the WWW, watch the TV news, CSI and Criminal Minds you have been conditioned to trust no one. That is probably why the first couple turned your help down and flew right past you. When your ploy to help them didn't work, you decided to fake a problem in hopes of them stopping. Then you drag them into the woods and hack away. We are on to you crazy son of a guns.
Old 04-05-12, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I always stop and ask and most times get a no thanks. I have fixed a few tubes for people without a pump and patch kit, and they are amazed I carry such things. When they offer money I tell them no pay it forward by buying a pump and patches and learn how to fix a flat. I was doing a 40 mile wine tasting tour last fall and was riding with a friend and came on a club of riders on high end road bikes with one rider trying to fix a chain that was coming apart. I had my tour bike that looked like a dump truck next to the race bikes and asked if they needed help and the guy said not unless you have a chain tool and a master link. I said sure I have them is that all you need. He was really amazed and even more amazed I had modified my chain tool to also tighten up links that were spreading. Late last fall I rode up on a young guy on a loaded tour bike upside down heading across the country and needing to get south before the snow came in. I stopped and his tires were wore thru to the tube in places. He was in a hurry but I told him my place is a mile away and I have a dozen old 700’s with better tread than that he could have. He said thanks but no thanks and asked me if there were bike shops close by and I said two about five miles ahead but they wouldn’t be open till Monday morning. He said ok thanks righted his bike and flew off.

My strangest encounter was when I was on a jet ski in SC 20 miles from nowhere and I see a speed boat tied to a one tree island and the guy is beating on the prop with a rock and the wife is standing on the island. I stop and ask if they need a lift want to use my cell etc. Nope just lost the prop nut is all we will be fine. Wife’s expression was I’m not so sure. I went down the lake and returned about an hour later to them flagging me in. Guy said is that cell phone offer still good. He calls his buddy and has no idea where on the lake he is even at to tell the guy. So I tell him the location and the guy on the other end says where the heck is that at? I’m on vacation from Pa and these guys live there. Finally the guy said he would come get them if he can get his boat running. They thanked me and I left them. I rode back out the next morning and they were gone with the boat so I guess he found them. I know that’s not bike related but a jet ski has handlebars.
Old 04-05-12, 11:03 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I always stop and ask if it's a solo rider.

Old 04-05-12, 11:05 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
A couple of years ago, my wife and I had a flat on our tandem in the rain. We were on the side of the road and most everyone that went by offered help. And a fast group ride, slow rolled by and asked if we needed any help. MUPs...... I avoid them if possible. I will take hardcore road cyclists any day of the week since they are there when you need them.
Old 04-05-12, 11:39 AM
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I usually inquire, but have had mixed responses. If they say they want help, I offer advice and sometimes use of tools with the objective of improving their knowledge and ability; however some just seem to expect that I will do everything for them. It's not so much that they describe themselves as being helpless, but are willing to learn, it's that their manner is like they are entitled to roadside assistance. When they pull out their smart phone to chat or text while I am there, that's when I leave. A bit curmudgeonly, but I figure that some folks learn better by being on their own.

-G
Old 04-05-12, 11:49 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Do you turn invisible very often or just when riding MUP's?
Old 04-05-12, 11:50 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I will take hardcore road cyclists any day of the week since they are there when you need them.
There it is. And I'm probably one of them.
Old 04-05-12, 12:05 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Even when in a pace line our whole group will slow and ask if someone needs help.
Old 04-05-12, 02:55 PM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
leob1, you are not responsible for the behavior or misbehavior of others. I always offer help and I'm glad there are others of similar mind.
Old 04-05-12, 03:08 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I find most cyclists are guys who are shy/introverted/loners. That's why they ride bikes instead of play basketball or join running clubs; they prefer being alone, and they quite often resent the intrusion of others. This is very difficult for the more outgoing people who ride bikes to understand.

And I know because I'm very typical of the loner. I rarely wave to anybody on a bike (unless I'm in a REALLY good mood); I'm more likely to tell them to f- off under my breath. I don't like getting passed by other introverted loners (they all think they're better than everybody else because deep down they KNOW they're not), so I will just sit on their wheels, but I will not engage them in conversation, because all of life is one big competition, and unless you know the other guy, everybody else is a competitor.

Anyway, I exaggerate, but I just wanted y'all to get a better understanding of this personality disorder. Even when I'm on a tandem, it's my stoker who does all the waving and socializing. I just shut up and ride.

We communicate much better on these sorts of forums than face-to-face. And I'm sure there are lots of us out there; cycling just draws this kind of personality.

Luis
Old 04-05-12, 03:19 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
It was the 50+ jersey.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 04-05-12, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4232 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
I usually offer, but fortunately rarely has anyone actually wanted my help - fortunate because I only carry 26" tubes (though I do have a patch kit) and am not the world's greatest wrench.

Old 04-05-12, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You avoid MUPs because if you break down you don't get as much help? That's weak.
Old 04-05-12, 11:12 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I find that when I ride rural bike trails, where there isn't a lot of bike traffic, that everyone greets you and will stop to see if you need assistance. But on a city MUP, there isn't nearly as much of this. They pass so many riders that it's more like a bike freeway. If you looked like you the situation under control, they will go right past you.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 04-05-12, 11:37 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It depends on my mood; I used to ask a lot more, but when there's no response at all..........
Old 04-06-12, 01:42 AM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I ride MUPs a lot and seldom need help but it seems like the more experienced riders, and there are a lot of them on our MUPs, are likely to show concern if I am stopped for any reason... even just resting. I doubt that there is any universal pattern to this that applies everywhere. OTOH, at the risk of contradicting myself a little, the volume of traffic on our MUPs is much greater than on the streets, so it is more likely that someone will come along to give help on the MUPs. YMMV

Last edited by billydonn; 04-06-12 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-06-12, 11:04 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I tend to agree with billydonn about the MUPs. I ride one every day, during the week, and right at about the same time of day. There are those that are regulars there and always say "hello" or "good morning" and will always stop to ask if you need help when you are stopped or off your bike. Then there are those, especially the MUP racers, that don't bother to give you the time of day, let alone slow down for anything.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 04-06-12, 12:38 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a similar experience to Leob1 last weekend on a MUP in Wichita, Ks. While sitting there patching my tube I had several spandex clad cyclists on modern road bikes calmly pedal by without so much as an acknowledgement. The only person to talk to me was a fellow in a motorized wheel chair.

I would have told them that I had the situation under control but was a bit disconcerted that they didn't even ask if I needed any help. Oh Well!
Old 04-06-12, 01:45 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Last August I was on a casual group ride. As the MUP we were on crossed a road, the two women who were in front of me stopped to lift rather than just ride their bikes up the curb. That's the last thing that I remember before the fall. When I came to I was laying in the street and watched the other riders bicycling away from me, down the trail, and out of sight.

Now that's cold.
Old 04-06-12, 01:52 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's a rare day indeed when I pass anyone on a local MUP without any friendly verbal exchange.

My last three flats were all on the roads. The first two I had several offers of assistance from drivers, and the third flat I was with Gyro.

So I guess I don't have the same complaint as the OP.
Old 04-06-12, 01:54 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If someone looks occupied, getting tools out and repairing a flat, I don't offer help. If you look confused or stuck, then I offer help. Maybe that's just the way I am.

Also I stay off the MUPs.. too many things to dodge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.