Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

romanticism

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-04, 01:20 AM
nothing: lasts forever

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
romanticism

ohhh boy.

do you ever get that way? when you feel like you're just inches away from bicycling off into the wild blue yonder and starting a permanent life?

i've got this lovely track bike that i zip around the city on, but more and more lately i've been thinking about selling it to build up the bike to end all. the bike that i can ride away from everything on. like a kogswell or a rivendell. build a little house and start a farm. build frames for a living. stop buying temporary things. wool and leather.

sorry, i'm afraid i'm getting a little tyler durden here.

if you recognize the name richard pronneke, you know what i'm talking about here. someone needs to tell me i'm not the only one, and that these aren't just sleep deprived fancies.
Old 12-29-04, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its every ****in anarchoprimitivists dream. I really want to do it someday, just live off of the land and be free. Hopefully it will happen.
Old 12-29-04, 01:23 AM
troglodyte

Bikes: Crust Romanceur, VO Polyvalent, Surly Steamroller, others?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've considered it many times, but at this point I have invested too much time in school to "drop out," if you want to put it that way. I'll wait until I've been working for a while and have made a little money, and then see how I feel.
Old 12-29-04, 01:31 AM
Beausage is Beautiful

Bikes: Nabiis Alchemy

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I dig it. While I'm not going the farm route, I am atempting to change how I do things. Figure out what actually matters to you and never let other people or external opinion diminish it for you. I'm slowly figuring out the things that are truly important to me and I'm going after them with everything I've got.
Old 12-29-04, 01:57 AM
Dictator

Bikes: What... all of them?!?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't worry about it. It will all go away with your next bowel movement. To prevent such flights in the future, avoid eating salted or roasted mixed nuts (especially if consumed with alcohol).
Old 12-29-04, 02:56 AM
無くなった

Bikes: I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uh, you're listing Minneapolis as where you're from. Not going to happen here. Move to Montana somewhere, you may get away with it for awhile. Alaska would be better. But neither are good for fixie or singlespeed. You're pretty much looking at snowshoes and trailers for everything. Make sure your life in the city does as little damage as possible and start from there.

Somewhere there is a page on the internet of a girl that goes motorcyling through Cherynobel (sp) - I think this is kind of the post apocolyptic bike paradise you percieve?

Not saying that I wouldn't have wanted a simpler life, but it's not the world we live in, and probably not the one any of us will live in any time soon.
Old 12-29-04, 03:04 AM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
the chernobyl thing was revealed to be a hoax, i believe.

and i know that minneapolis is not the place. good city, but still a city. i don't plan to stay here in order to get away...

as far as the bowel movement solution, well...it happened, but i'm still thinking the same way.

maybe this is all stemming from the fact that i got a new tent and a rivendell adam bag (tent fits inside!) for christmas...really makes one want to set out into the wild.
Old 12-29-04, 04:11 AM
I bet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a city boy I'm afraid. The city can be like a wilderness.
Old 12-29-04, 04:29 AM
Just riding

Bikes: Cannondale Bad Boy / Mercian track / BOB trailer / Moulton recumbent project

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Buy permanent stuff. Wool, leather. But buy it from ME, bwa-ha-ha!" Beware self-suffiency marketing

We did this, halfway. Moved to Devon, got a communal house. It's nice. Not quite an Earthship and a forge, but it's a step. Less mental clutter, as well as fewer physical things.
Old 12-29-04, 05:56 AM
Dictator

Bikes: What... all of them?!?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ink1373

as far as the bowel movement solution, well...it happened, but i'm still thinking the same way.
Have you tried reading Daniel Quinn and then looking into collectivist cultural solutions (to global problems) that invoke ideas geared toward a group effort? If not, look into it. You may be able to draw up some blueprints. If said blueprints don't work for you, they may still work for the next generation (for whom they may be a necessity).
Old 12-29-04, 06:50 AM
seniorita member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trystero
solutions (to global problems)
Old 12-29-04, 06:56 AM
loves living in the city.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I grew up in said pastoral paradise. Have to say I miss the hell out of it, but you'll notice I'm not back there. Bicycle commuting's not too practically when it's 40 below and the nearest town is 30 miles away. You'll become a good xc ski commuter though.
Old 12-29-04, 07:14 AM
BFSSFG old timer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HereNT
Move to Montana somewhere, you may get away with it for awhile. Alaska would be better. But neither are good for fixie or singlespeed.
I think Pat Irwin would disagree.
Old 12-29-04, 07:16 AM
Aluminum.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like asphalt.
Old 12-29-04, 08:53 AM

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Karate Monkey, Ogre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've lived in Vermont since I was twenty-five. It's quiet, the pace is slower, people are generally less angry, less crazy. But simple, it's not. Problem is you've got to be your own plumber, electrician carpenter, mechanic, maybe cut your own firewood. That means lots of things, lots of details. There's always something going wrong with the house, the sheep are always busting out, the weasel breaking into the henhouse.
My fantasy is to sell my tools, sell my car, move to Boston with just my clothes, my bike, a few bike tools and a few books. Let the landlord take care of the dripping faucet.
I think you could argue it both ways, but I sense that it's "simpler" in the city.
Old 12-29-04, 09:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, there's always Christiana in Copenhagen.

Originally Posted by ink1373
ohhh boy.

do you ever get that way? when you feel like you're just inches away from bicycling off into the wild blue yonder and starting a permanent life?

i've got this lovely track bike that i zip around the city on, but more and more lately i've been thinking about selling it to build up the bike to end all. the bike that i can ride away from everything on. like a kogswell or a rivendell. build a little house and start a farm. build frames for a living. stop buying temporary things. wool and leather.

sorry, i'm afraid i'm getting a little tyler durden here.

if you recognize the name richard pronneke, you know what i'm talking about here. someone needs to tell me i'm not the only one, and that these aren't just sleep deprived fancies.
Old 12-29-04, 09:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
somehow I think tyler durden wouldn't be down with building the ultimate ride.
something about the things you own owning you and ****ing martha stewert.
not too sure

sidebar:
I once read this study that said that the environmental impact of city dwellers compared to suburban dwellers is A LOT less. So if you can't be all grizzly adams then you mine as well live in chicago; screw the 'burbs (I agree!)

jeff
Old 12-29-04, 10:22 AM
無くなった

Bikes: I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by riderx
I think Pat Irwin would disagree.
Is that the kid that moved up there in a bus, ran out of food, didn't know that the berries he was eating were keeping him from being able to digest what food he could scrounge up and starved to death? If so, from what I remember of the book, he really didn't know what he was doing.

There's a special they put on every PBS pledge drive here of some old guy that moved to Alaska and did it, building a cabin with his wife...
Old 12-29-04, 11:14 AM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
that PBS special you speak of is the richard pronneke reference i made. the man had his tools shipped to him without handles, so that he could make the handles when they got there. and who else have you ever seen make a working, locking door with just wood and a hatchet?

as far as the tyler durden thing, i was mostly just referring to his line in the movie (i don't think it's in the book) about grinding corn in abandoned parking lots and one pair of leather pants your whole life. anyone who claims to (really) be like tyler durden over the internet is drowning in a river of ********...

still, the dream will never die, and maybe someday soon i'll keep everything i own in that adam bag and a backpack, and i'll stop reading message boards.
Old 12-29-04, 11:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a chemist. I could make good soap. Send me your lipo goo.
Old 12-29-04, 11:22 AM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
the real question is, can you get an army of space monkies to call you "sir"?
Old 12-29-04, 11:25 AM
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
If you want to build the perfect ride than you are one step further away from your dream.

Last edited by jfmckenna; 12-29-04 at 06:51 PM.
eert a ekil yzarc

Bikes: many bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One toooo many times. Trying to convince my fiance that when she gets her Marbi degree and goes to work for Texas Parks and Wildlife, that I go to bike school and welding school. She noticed that I get like this after watching American Chopper.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd rather have an army of spacey women call me "sugar-daddy"
Old 12-29-04, 11:38 AM
BFSSFG old timer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HereNT
Is that the kid that moved up there in a bus, ran out of food, didn't know that the berries he was eating were keeping him from being able to digest what food he could scrounge up and starved to death? If so, from what I remember of the book, he really didn't know what he was doing.
Ummmm, no. Pat is a single speed Alaskan rider.

A few quotes from his bio:
- I’ve twice won the 350-mile Iditarod Trail Invitational (on my single)
- I was among the first to attempt a single-state speed record on the 2500-mile Great Divide Mountain Bike Route. My cross-Montana time trial was cut short after 220 miles by a roadblock announcing the closure of the state's forests due to fire. When I heard that the military was being called in to fight the blazes, I decided I had to do my duty. Setting the bike aside, I spent the next 7 weeks on the front lines fighting flames. Days later I placed 8th at 24 Hour World Championships, again on my single.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.