Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Share your good stories about your department store bike.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-29-04, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got my 4,000 miles off my Roadmaster Mountain Fury and I am finally ready to buy another bicycle as I wrecked and tacoed the wheel. (got cut off by a car, no real injuries) This is the problems I had with it. it was mostly used on roads, both paved and unpaved.

a) had to replace the peddles after 2,000 miles. ($22 bucks for replacement)
b) only one flat and two new tires ($3 bucks for new tube, $14 for two new tires)
c) basic maintenance of a brakes, gear adjustment, oiling the chain, etc. (just my time maybe 10 cents for the motor oil used)

What I really like about this bike is the thumb shifters. The gearing is much closer to that of a road bike than a mountain bike (28-38-48 front gear) (13-27 5 speed rear)

All repairs done myself. I want to hear from people who are riding department store bikes now. Do you have the same success with your department store bike that I did with mine?

I say for $58 bucks, I got my money worth. Anyone else have good stories to tell about cheaper bikes?
Old 12-29-04, 09:44 PM
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
It's spelled pedals not peddles. (j/k)

Now to your topic. I bought my Mongoose Hybrid from Dick's Sporting Goods. I have had nothing for good things to say about it. However, Dick's Sporting Goods doesn't sell hybrids or road bikes anymore I'm a big fan of buying a department store bike at Dick's because at the one I go to, they will put the bike right on a stand and make sure everything works from the brakes, the shifting of the gears, and trueness of the wheel etc. They even told me they would do adjustments for up to one year free of charge. Never had to use it as I do my own adjustments.

However with any department store bike, once you make sure it is assembled correctly and checking it out real good at the store before you buy it, as long as you don't want to ride in a peloton or hardcore mountain bike riding, any bike will last a few thousand miles with minimal maintenance like you had. In the towns I live near, cheaper bikes is all that is used by the locals.

Another good thing about buying a department store is the return policy. If you aren't happy, return it and get all your money back.

I'm sure the hardcore roadies who spend many times more on clothing than we spend on bikes will weigh in with the usual nightmare stories. You'll also find many of these people who buy $2,000 bikes will spend $100's a year in LBS fees for tune ups, adjustments etc. I on the hand would just buy another new bike.

Cheers,
Blake
Old 12-29-04, 09:52 PM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even though I ride an OCR1 purchased from a LBS, I am pleased to see that you are riding AND that you are happy with your bike.
Old 12-29-04, 10:00 PM
The Red Lantern

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I was a kid, I had a Murray BMX that I abused for five years. By the time it was stolen the only original parts were the frame and fork. It survived paper routes and creek jumps.

I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.
Old 12-29-04, 10:09 PM
Work hard, Play hard

Bikes: Cannondale super V 500, Bianchi Piaggio(hopefully getting a new road bike when I get some money)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a mongoose mtb that has worked for awhile. Since I upgraded all the stuff on my newer, nicer mtb to XT I just switched the old parts onto the mongoose.

Sure the suspensions all locked up but that just makes it a 45lb hardtail Plus if this bike gets stolen I only spent about $75 on it so it's not a huge loss.

I'm also a hardcore roadie with clothes and bike(s) that add up into the thousands(mainly the bikes btw). I have no problem with people who have cheaper bikes, you ride what you can afford.
Old 12-29-04, 10:24 PM
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Somebody once gave me a Japanese Schwinn five speed that was rusting in her backyard. So rusted, the spoke nipples had seized up in little rustnubbins. I rode it for months as is, until the real wheel got whacked out of true. Ten years later, with some new rims, a Brooks sprung saddle and a little TLC, it remains one of my favorite bikes. Ride it whenever I get the chance (and it isn't raining.)
Old 12-30-04, 12:10 AM

Bikes: who cares?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm riding two department store 20" Huffys as my ZooBomb bikes. I've got at least three dozen runs on each of them by now. The worst thing about them is the Chinese coaster brake hubs, they just don't stand up to THE HILL. One of the bikes was free, the other cost me $3 second hand. I put about $50 into each of them for new tires, banana seats, extended handlebar stems, and assorted bling.
Old 12-30-04, 01:18 AM
Work hard, Play hard

Bikes: Cannondale super V 500, Bianchi Piaggio(hopefully getting a new road bike when I get some money)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ZooBomb bikes? Care to explain?
Old 12-30-04, 01:19 AM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by forum*rider
ZooBomb bikes? Care to explain?
https://www.zoobomb.org/
Idea is to keep them cheap lest the MAN confiscate them.
Old 12-30-04, 01:51 AM
Recovering Retro-grouch

Bikes: Too Many - 7 or 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Department store bikes are responsible for a sizable chunk of my repair income. So I love em all. The only ones I hate are the ones I can't fix. Every bike and rider out there deserves respect no matter where they came from.

My Blog - Lost in the Bo Zone
Old 12-30-04, 02:51 AM
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really does not matter to me what you are riding... as long as you are riding and riding safely...

Now if your bike breaks and I can not fix it... take it to the lbs and see what happens...
Old 12-30-04, 04:57 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Raiyn
https://www.zoobomb.org/
Idea is to keep them cheap lest the MAN confiscate them.
Actually, the idea is to keep them cheap so anyone can participate.

Portland's Zoo is near the top of the hill in the part of town known as west hills. The Zoo is accessible via the MAX (Metro Area eXpress) light rail train. ZooBomb is every Sunday night. Meet at the pizza joint, ride the train to the Zoo, hike the rest of the way to the top. Party for awhile. Bomb down. Catch another train back up, repeat 2 or 3 times.

You can ride any bike you want, but the bike of choice is a department store kid's bike, the smaller the better. 20" wheels are 'big' by ZooBomb standards; hardcore ZooBombers ride on 12" or 16" wheeled bikes. The usual source for second hand bikes is the Goodwill Outlet Store. Some people ride choppers or other strange creations, and there's almost always a skateboard contingent. There are multiple alternate routes down the hill, ranging in length from about one to three miles. It's fast and exhilarating.

There's a 'bike library' on a rack by the pizza shop if you don't have a bike of your own.

There is also an annual Mt. Hood bomb, a ZooBomb Century, ZooBomb Winter and Summer Olympics, and road trips to various other cities (see the photo gallery at the web site).

Big Hill, Little Bikes, Big Fun
Old 12-30-04, 05:51 PM
Work hard, Play hard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ahh I see. Sounds like fun!

Have you ever ridden one of those mini-bikes with the wheels about the size of you're fist? I think those would be perfect for that ride
Old 12-30-04, 06:04 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by forum*rider
Have you ever ridden one of those mini-bikes with the wheels about the size of you're fist? I think those would be perfect for that ride
Not me, but I've seen it done...I'm 6'2"; a 20" wheel is about the smallest bike I fit on and feel comfortable riding down that hill.