Search this Thread

Old 04-21-12, 02:20 PM

Bikes: Windsor Fens

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Learn Something every ride

So went for my first 50 mile ride this week, an accomplishment for me at least. On the out and back through the Cajon pass, I decided I didn't want to go back up through Devore with the 9-10% grades right by the freeway entrance, and I thought the "closed" Cajon Blvd would take us back to Glen Helen without the hills ..... ended up riding on the shoulder of the 215/15 Freeway for a few miles. Hopefully its legal in that area!

Also learned that 50 miles with 3000+ feet of climbing, I need refills on my 2 bottles, need 3+ actually when its hitting upper 80's in temps.

Here's my ride:
https://app.strava.com/rides/7119344#

What did you learn this week?
Old 04-21-12, 06:58 PM
A Mountaineering thing

Bikes: 4 Road 2 Mtn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indomikey
What did you learn this week?
That I would be better off checking out the route myself before hand if I were riding with you and didn't want to ride on the freeway. LOL Just kidding. Looks like a nice ride under cool weather conditions.
Old 04-21-12, 08:07 PM

Bikes: Primary: Cannondale System Six, full Record, Carbon BB30, Ksyrium SL SSC Beater: Motobecane Vent Noir, Tiagra/105 mix, Vuelta XRP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode with indomikey today -- my flesh must have been burning because the horse flies could smell the blood boiling and were taking chunks of my skin off! I didn't know why indomikey didn't have that problem, until I realized that they were getting stuck under my jersey because I had pulled my zipper down and he hadn't!
Old 04-21-12, 08:17 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hahaha! That little steep section aint all that bad considering the way you guys climb GMR. If you can hold your breath for like one minute it's over.

This time of year, we use bug spray. Especially on GMR. Those horse flies are mean and they bite right through your jersey. I've had a couple bite me on the leg drawing blood!
Old 04-21-12, 08:48 PM
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
I learned that getting a triple may cause you to get a sore butt, because you can spend so much more time spinning up steep hills instead of standing.

Also learned that perpetuem doesn't burn on the way out when you have diarrhea. (It wasn't the cause.) And that even if I eat & drink plenty during a hard event, it's still possible to get loopy, tunnelvision, and starving if your distressed GI tract doesn't hold the stuff in long enough to take advantage of it.

I learned that Haaseg is a really cool, funny dude. (Already knew Idoru2005 and his bride, and Larry and so many others are sweet, kind people who make these events memorable & fun.)

I learned that it's possible to black out momentarily if you hiccup/burp/upchuck after drinking water that's a little too cold when you're not feeling that hot.

I learned what powercranks are. (They're not a power meter built into the cranks.)

I learned that you should probably lower your seat about 1/4cm if you are using a triple, because the widened Q-factor means your legs are actually extended a little further than a double with an otherwise identical seat, pedals, cranks, etc.

A few other things too, but they're pretty embarrassing.

Last edited by calamarichris; 04-21-12 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-22-12, 11:56 AM
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
This morning I learned that two big water bottles are NOT enough for me on a 17.5 mile ride. Before chemo they would have been plenty. Ran out about a mile from home.

I also learned that when my wife threatens to kill me because she's tired, she can't hurt me if she can't catch me!
Old 04-22-12, 02:55 PM

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
This morning I learned that its probably a good idea to go easy on the brakes after putting on new brake pads... Came really close to eating it. I was like, damn, those work!.
Old 04-22-12, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday I learned that no matter how prepared you *think* you are it still may not be enough...

Five miles into a 50-mile ride with my wife yesterday, she says...

"My bike feels 'bumpy', did you do something different to it?"

"No - nothing other than checking your tires and filling them up."

*glancing around I notice her tire is flat*

"Your rear tire is flat...how long have you been riding like that?"

"I don't know. Probably a while..."

We pull over and I get going on finding a big thorn and working on the repair. As soon as I opened my patch kit I notice the tube of glue is completely hard. Having packed my wife's saddle bag (I know there's a joke in there somewhere) I ask her to get her patch kit because mine's shot. After patching I begin using my frame pump, cursing myself for removing the co2 in favor of putting the digital camera in my bag. Seemed like it was taking forever, but I hadn't used it for a while.

Got the tire back on and within a minute it was flat again. Criminy! The patch didn't hold. Having packed her saddle bag I knew she had a spare tube. Got the tire off (again), replaced the tube and continued cursing myself for leaving the co2 behind for the sake of the camera.

Finally got the tire to reasonable pressure, went to remove the pump and the valve blew apart.

I had one tube left in my saddle bag and I was now on a mission. Fortunately that one installed without fanfare but it still made me a little nervous not having any backup. 30 miles in we passed a bike shop so I bought two spare tubes.

Despite the problems in the beginning it turned out to be a pretty good ride.

Oh yeah - she took my picture while I was fixing her flat. Good thing we had that camera.

Last edited by megalowmatt; 04-22-12 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-22-12, 09:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hillbasher
That I would be better off checking out the route myself before hand if I were riding with you and didn't want to ride on the freeway. LOL Just kidding. Looks like a nice ride under cool weather conditions.
Haha Hillbasher, if we ride together, I'd be happy to relinquish guide duties!

Beanz, I'll HTFU next time and go up into Devore!

Calamarichris - is that why my arse is sore after riding.... I need to stand more on my triple then, I just figured I cramp more when I do that.
Old 04-22-12, 11:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by megalowmatt
Oh yeah - she took my picture while I was fixing her flat. Good thing we had that camera.
I really have nothing to add, but that's one of the funniest stories I've heard this week. Hope your next ride goes a little smoother.
Old 04-23-12, 09:37 AM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I learned not to lock the keys in the van. Turned our easy 15 mile planned ride on the MUP into a 33+ mile ride to home and back to get the spare key. Also confirmed my wife's awesomeness because she rode with me both directions. First ride over 10 miles for either of us in 6 months (I was off the bike for a while due to an accident and still getting my lungs and legs back). Was also reminded that one granola bar each is not enough for that long of a ride.
Old 04-23-12, 09:54 AM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I built up a new bike about 2 or 3 years ago and went for a ride... had a pump, patch kit, spare tube, you name it but when I flatted I couldn't get the damn tire off. I could do it bare handed on my old rims but not with the tire/rim combo I was using. Fortunately I was only a few miles from the SAG base. Now I have levers in the bag too.

My seat tube bottle cage rattled loose on one ride and I didn't have the right size allen wrench to tighten it, so now I have a multi-tool in the bag with about 42 different size tools I'll probably never need now that I have it.

Much like megalowmatt, I've learned that patch kits are not eternal and need replacing fairly frequently.
Old 04-28-12, 04:13 PM
A square going nowhere

Bikes: CAAD 8 & CAAD 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I learned to never ever say, "It's only a short ride, I don't need a full bottle of water."
Old 04-29-12, 07:42 AM
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by psalm
I learned to never ever say, "It's only a short ride, I don't need a full bottle of water."

Also...it's only a short ride...I don't need my repair kit...
Old 04-29-12, 08:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday on this ride had a nice slight tailwind on downhill
https://app.strava.com/rides/7497896

I learned the feeling when your "Aero" wheels kick in and you barely have to pedal to maintain speed. Now I want to go out and do it again!
Old 04-29-12, 03:15 PM
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
This morning I learned that two big water bottles are NOT enough for me on a 17.5 mile ride. Before chemo they would have been plenty. Ran out about a mile from home.
Two comments in reply:
1) Nashbar once stocked a 1-liter bottle (and probably will again) but I was too dumb to buy several. However I did find some at Amazon. What I learned: snooze & lose. Make hay while the sun shines.
2) Adding one of these Nuun tabs to my water makes it a lot more refreshing than anything else I've tried, including Cytomax. What I learned: water that is slightly acidified is more refreshing than straight water.
Old 04-29-12, 05:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I learned that riding in the drops with a head cold gets messy.
Old 04-29-12, 06:27 PM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by indomikey
I learned the feeling when your "Aero" wheels kick in and you barely have to pedal to maintain speed. Now I want to go out and do it again!
I think that's the tailwind, not the aero wheels. They don't just 'kick in' like turbos.
Old 04-29-12, 07:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmX
I think that's the tailwind, not the aero wheels. They don't just 'kick in' like turbos.
Yea tailwind does help, but the aero wheels don't "help" until a certain speed from all I've read, I can actually hit that speed on a downhill.... with tailwind .... with ......

of course my comparison is stock wheels, Alex DA22 rims with Formula hubs. so....yeah.
Old 04-29-12, 09:38 PM

Bikes: Primary: Cannondale System Six, full Record, Carbon BB30, Ksyrium SL SSC Beater: Motobecane Vent Noir, Tiagra/105 mix, Vuelta XRP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my last ride, I learned that going after PR's on the first hill tires me out and pretty much guarantees I won't hit any PR's for the rest of the ride lol

EDIT: And I didn't break my PR... I only tied it lol
Old 04-30-12, 01:45 AM

Bikes: Fuji

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmX
So did his V-TEC kick in?

Originally Posted by JusRelax
On my last ride, I learned that going after PR's on the first hill tires me out and pretty much guarantees I won't hit any PR's for the rest of the ride lol

EDIT: And I didn't break my PR... I only tied it lol
I learned when the winds change direction... WOOHOO! Head winds all the way!

Something even better, a PR I set on a segment I set on my commute home and I'm not even close on my faster and lighter bike.

I need to get new shorts...maybe new pedals. Not sure, good thing Performance has a sale starting the 2nd of May....