Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How Green Are You?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

How Green Are You?

Old 04-22-12, 09:39 AM

Bikes: 2016 Giant Escape, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion Sport DLX, Trek 420, Schwinn Sierra, Schwinn Hurricane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How Green Are You?

Let me preface this by saying that the purpose of this isn't "superiority" or any nonsense like that - I don't judge what other people do at all, as I don't do what I do for anybody but for my own peace of mind. I'm simply curious about your lives. It is my notion that as with me, the thrifty/environmentally conscious part of me that drives car free/car light existence bleeds over into other aspects of our lives.

In our backyard are six bicycles, two bicycle trailers (one in pieces needing an overhaul) two raised high-density garden boxes and one more-regularly-used-than-I-like car.

I do all of our errands by bicycle - grocery shopping, laundry, bill paying, etc.

We are starting our gardens this year and will be growing most of our own veggies, we have a compost heap started both to cut down on garbage and to fertilize the garden.

We recycle cans, but not cardboard or plastic - this place is a nightmare for that, and it irks me. It also irks me that I have to drive the car to recycle those cans, as they won't let the bicycle in the recycling center for "safety reasons".

I also make my own laundry detergent.
Old 04-22-12, 11:14 AM
Vegan on a bicycle

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 22 Posts
"In fact a vegan driving a hummer would be contributing less greenhouse gas carbon emissions than a meat eater riding a bicycle." - Capt Paul Watson, A Very Inconvenient Truth

"The livestock sector is a major player [in climate change], responsible for 18% of greenhouse gas emissions measured in CO2 equivalent. This is a higher share than transport." - Livestock's long shadow, 2006 UN report sponsored by WTO, EU, AS-AID, FAO, et al

i think being vegan is the greenest thing someone can do. no one but other vegans ever wants to hear that

it takes me a few months to fill up a garbage bag, or take my recycling bin to the curb, so i guess i'm doing alright about minimizing waste.

and i'm car free, of course
Old 04-22-12, 11:28 AM

Bikes: 2016 Giant Escape, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion Sport DLX, Trek 420, Schwinn Sierra, Schwinn Hurricane

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you're saying that I should save a cow and eat a vegan?
Old 04-22-12, 11:31 AM
Elitest Murray Owner

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not very green. I eat meats.

Although to be fair, if you simply cut beef out of your diet, you're probably almost as green as any vegan... poultry and pork combined account for less greenhouse gasses than cattle alone.

Last edited by Mos6502; 04-22-12 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-22-12, 11:36 AM

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I eat meat. But I didn't have kids.
Old 04-22-12, 12:08 PM
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
One of the lowest carbon footprint cities in the US is New York. Its citizens quite often don't consider themselves green or make any attempt at being green. They don't drive cars cause it's too expensive to park and public transit and walkable local shopping is very convenient. They live in very heat-efficient housing with a lower square footage than the North American norm. But most of them don't consider themselves "green".

On the other hand, many people applaud themselves for having energy efficient cars and living in large single family housing with a ton of "green" upgrades. Quite often these lovely houses are situated very far from local shopping and the workplace.

I applaud people who voluntarily ride their bicycle a lot and try to cut back on their meat intake but our society needs to have a pricing/tax structure that builds "greenness" in.

Ps. I'm growing to dislike the word "green" and also the word "sustainable". What exactly do they mean?

Last edited by gerv; 04-22-12 at 12:12 PM. Reason: grammar only... its citizen vs it's citizen
Old 04-22-12, 01:45 PM
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Ps. I'm growing to dislike the word "green" and also the word "sustainable". What exactly do they mean?
Oops.. I forgot... it's Earth Day. I shouldn't be wailing here. Sorry.

Be green.

Happy Earth Day!
Old 04-22-12, 02:02 PM

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our cars are driven a total of under 4000 miles per year. For me,its not because of an environment conecern, but obstruct being stuck in traffic. I bike to work but if I ever need to go during late evening when there is little traffic then I always use the car as I get there and back a lot quicker.

Also for errands and groceries etc,I always use the car as I can get things done quicker (on weekends). I thought of using the bike, but it makes no sense for me.
Old 04-22-12, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I sold my last car in 2007.
I don't have children.
I stopped eating meat and dairy products this year.
I don't have air conditioning (it's only needed two to three weeks per year).
I have sealed my doors and door frames in the apartment where I live.
I purchase many organic foods at a premium price.
I don't purchase many processed foods.
I do reuse plastic bags and newspapers.

I do leave the light on in my room when I leave it. The bulb is a CFL.
I do leave the heater on in my bedroom when I leave home. The door is kept closed and the room thermostat keeps it comfortable.
I don't recycle anything. There are no programs by the city. Two private groups organize recycling drives but there is no way for me to transport several months of containers to their drop off site. They don't recycle glass.

Next year if I'm still in this apartment I'll purchase a propane catalytic heater for warmth. That will cut down on my electric heating costs. I might also purchase a propane instant on water heater for my shower. There are portable ice chest like freezers that are far better at energy conservation than conventional freezers. This is because the doors are on top. when they open the cold air doesn't all fall out. Thus they don't need to use so much energy to keep the interior cold. I want one of those too. These items will be bought by me anyway because they will become part of my RV project. I might as well get them early and put them to use saving energy expenses.

I haven't deliberately littered since grade school.

Overall I would say I'm an environmentally conscious person.
Old 04-22-12, 04:40 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by enigmaT120
I eat meat. But I didn't have kids.
Big deal, I eat kids.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-22-12, 06:46 PM
Vegan on a bicycle

Originally Posted by Mos6502
Although to be fair, if you simply cut beef out of your diet, you're probably almost as green as any vegan... poultry and pork combined account for less greenhouse gasses than cattle alone.
it's a step in the right direction, but not "almost as green as any vegan". people who eat what they hunt are reasonably green about it, and getting much healthier meat, but when you buy meat (this includes seafood) you're supporting a system that's seriously trashing the planet.

I applaud people who voluntarily ride their bicycle a lot and try to cut back on their meat intake but our society needs to have a pricing/tax structure that builds "greenness" in.
in other words, basically, we should just stop subsidizing cheap petrol, factory farming and industrial agriculture. letting those commodity products come closer to the true costs of production would radically alter their consumption (and environmental impacts). something is wrong when a pound of beef from the other side of the world is cheaper than a pound of local organic apples. just think a bit about the energy, resources and labor that goes into putting those things in your shopping cart.

Originally Posted by Smallwheels
I do leave the light on in my room when I leave it. The bulb is a CFL.
so many people don't understand this... with a florescent bulb, it's much more resource efficient, energy efficient and cheaper to just leave it on all the time than turning it on and off. really, anything more than 1-2 power cycles per day with these things is wasteful.
Old 04-22-12, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I birthed my replacement and my husband's replacement and no more. We are vegetarian and car free. Our older home is less than half the size of the average new American house. We choose efficient replacements for home improvements and appliances. When buying clothes, furniture, books, dishes, etc we first look for used items before buying new. We make extensive use of the library and us rental/loan options for infrequently used items. We donate or repurpose out grown or unwanted items. We recycle plastic, cans, glass, and paper which are accepted by our municipality. We have a garden and will be getting rescue chickens in the near future. Our lights are currently CFL and we are moving toward LED. We have a programmable thermostat and lots of warm socks and sweaters. This has been our basic lifestyle for about the past 20 years.
Old 04-22-12, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to say, I tend to make choices that save me money, and then in the long run they end up being "green". So despite the fact that our family has a pretty small carbon footprint compared to the average US household, I don't think I really get to pat myself on the back for it. I don't have a car, which we first did initially because it saved us from bankruptcy. We've kept at it because we love the lifestyle, but it has little to do with environmental aspects. I am generally pleased when the choices I make turn out to be environmentally friendly, but it's really just a bonus, not enough motivation in and of itself.
Old 04-22-12, 07:54 PM
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by smasha
so many people don't understand this... with a florescent bulb, it's much more resource efficient, energy efficient and cheaper to just leave it on all the time than turning it on and off. really, anything more than 1-2 power cycles per day with these things is wasteful.
This source disputes your claim.

The cost effectiveness of turning fluorescent lights off to conserve energy is a bit more complicated. For most areas of the United States, a general rule-of-thumb for when to turn off a fluorescent light is if you leave a room for more than 15 minutes, it is probably more cost effective to turn the light off. Or in other words, if you leave the room for only up to 15 minutes, it will generally be more cost effective to leave the light(s) on. In areas where electric rates are high and/or during peak demand periods, this period may be as low as 5 minutes.
https://www.energysavers.gov/your_hom.../mytopic=12280

Sources say the wait period is even less for CF lights.... 3 minutes.

https://www.treehugger.com/interior-d...ightbulbs.html
Old 04-22-12, 08:10 PM
Vegan on a bicycle

^^^

the lifetime of any fluorescent bulb can be measured more accurately in "starts" than hours. every time the bulb turns on, a little bit of it is consumed. factor in the manufacturing and disposal "costs", and my vote is to leave them on.

of course, i'm in NZ and i'm on a 100% renewable power line. if anyone can calculate the "costs" of mercury from a CFL (including manufacturing), compared to the mercury released by powering that CFL from a coal powered sources, i'd be interested to see it.
Old 04-22-12, 08:44 PM
Elitest Murray Owner

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
it's a step in the right direction, but not "almost as green as any vegan".
Well it would depend on the rest of their lifestyle. Far from every vegan is living a green lifestyle.
Old 04-22-12, 08:45 PM

Bikes: Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm horribly ungreen. Not so much in my personal life (car lite, doing my best to own as little as possible, light meat eater) but in my industry of work (Oil Sands construction) and I do fly pretty regularly to travel and visit my woman.

Making small victories every day though. Would love to be able to eat a diet of strictly local foods, but here in Alberta that would mean a diet of potato's and beef LOL
Old 04-22-12, 09:01 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
In every carbon foot print test I take my foot print is well below the average first world fellow citizen. I tend to eat Chicken, fish and pork but every now and then beef will hit my plate. But with the exception of the beef itself my dairy products, chicken and pork come from within 150 miles of where live. The milk and eggs come from within five miles. Peaches, Apricots, Strawberries are within 10 miles of me. However my vegetables more than likely come from thousands of miles from me. My home is paid for and we live in under 1000 square feet. I get hammered in the tests for living in the US because if I tell the site I am from mexico my score drops to just above non industrialized nations averages.

My experience with veganism was simular to Gandhi's. I simply had no long term stamina. A Quote attributed to Gandhi: ""For my companions I have been a blind guide leading the blind," declared Gandhi after the experiment was over. Gandhi still felt, however, that "the hidden possibilities of the innumerable seeds, leaves and fruits" of the earth could be explored and found to provide mankind with adequate nourishment. He never stopped trying to experiment along these lines, but he always had to turn back to goat milk to regain his strength.

In the end he had to acknowledge the necessity for animal food. In 1946 he declared: "The crores of India today get neither milk nor ghee nor butter, nor even buttermilk. No wonder that mortality figures are on the increase and there is a lack of energy in the people. It would appear as if man is really unable to sustain life without either meat or milk and milk products. Anyone who deceives people in this regard or countenances the fraud is an enemy of India."

If you live where synthetic supliments are readily available to fill your medicine chest it could work I guess. But I don't see how artichokes from Spain would be greener than chicken from the next city.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/25...h-vegan-diets/
Old 04-22-12, 10:13 PM
Sophomoric Member

if anyone can calculate the "costs" of mercury from a CFL (including manufacturing), compared to the mercury released by powering that CFL from a coal powered sources, i'd be interested to see it.
No link comes to mind, but I have read several places that more mercury comes from the extra coal burned to power conventional light bulbs, compared to the sparse amount of mercury contained in a CFL.

Also, I suspect the mercury from coal is dispersed over a wide area, and ultimately enters the food chain of non-vegan animals and humans. The mercury from a CFL would more likely be contained if the old bulb is propery discarded.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-22-12, 10:25 PM
Sophomoric Member

+1. A few well intentioned individuals--even a great many individuals--can't do enough to solve the world's environmental problems, no matter how hard they pedal their bikes. The "green" people also need to get together and pressure their governments and corporations to clean up their acts. Even more important, as you suggest, they need to devise new processes and structures that build greenness into society

https://www.350.org/

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-23-12, 03:17 AM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I am car-free voluntarily, it has nothing to do with trying to be green. I also eat tons of animal products such as meat and dairy..
Old 04-23-12, 03:51 AM

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greener than some, not so green as others. I'm car-lite, but my car is a '94 Nissan Sentra, paid cash for it and it runs fine.

I ride a bike or walk most places. I have a 2-br apartment, not married, no kids, no plans to do either.

I do eat meat, milk and eggs, but I buy them from co-workers who have small farms. I used to hunt, but my .306 is back at my folks' place. I get my fish from my own catch or from my friends' catch, I hate fish that's been frozen so I get what I can eat in a day. If I do ever own a house/property, it will likely be a small homestead out in the country, I can often be found drooling over the homes at Tumbleweed, or earthships. Pretty much the reason I'm really into being "off the grid" is because I grew up at the end of the grid, so our electricity went out all the time, and I hated it.

I don't have many clothes, but that just means I run my washing machine and dryer quite a bit more often. My furniture is mostly hand-me-downs. I'm a technophile, so I have a computer/smartphone/etc, which adds to my carbon footprint.
Old 04-23-12, 05:31 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
In every carbon foot print test I take my foot print is well below the average first world fellow citizen. I tend to eat Chicken, fish and pork but every now and then beef will hit my plate. But with the exception of the beef itself my dairy products, chicken and pork come from within 150 miles of where live. The milk and eggs come from within five miles. Peaches, Apricots, Strawberries are within 10 miles of me. However my vegetables more than likely come from thousands of miles from me. My home is paid for and we live in under 1000 square feet. I get hammered in the tests for living in the US because if I tell the site I am from mexico my score drops to just above non industrialized nations averages.

My experience with veganism was simular to Gandhi's. I simply had no long term stamina. A Quote attributed to Gandhi: ""For my companions I have been a blind guide leading the blind," declared Gandhi after the experiment was over. Gandhi still felt, however, that "the hidden possibilities of the innumerable seeds, leaves and fruits" of the earth could be explored and found to provide mankind with adequate nourishment. He never stopped trying to experiment along these lines, but he always had to turn back to goat milk to regain his strength.

In the end he had to acknowledge the necessity for animal food. In 1946 he declared: "The crores of India today get neither milk nor ghee nor butter, nor even buttermilk. No wonder that mortality figures are on the increase and there is a lack of energy in the people. It would appear as if man is really unable to sustain life without either meat or milk and milk products. Anyone who deceives people in this regard or countenances the fraud is an enemy of India."

If you live where synthetic supliments are readily available to fill your medicine chest it could work I guess. But I don't see how artichokes from Spain would be greener than chicken from the next city.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/25...h-vegan-diets/
I wonder how much the quality of foods has to do with the nutrition issues? I was reading an article the other day about it. I do know that some people need different foods than others to remain healthy, part of it is genetics. I have yet to see too many studies that support the intake of massive amounts of supplements, most indications are that many peoples bodies have problems processing synthesized supplements. I also question the massive amount of preservatives, as well as the other supposedly "safe" chemicals that our foods contain or are exposed to. I am fortunate to live in an area where I can purchase many foods directly from the source. We have one local small grocery chain that owns it's own meat packing plant as well as a cannery, they purchase the bulk of their raw product from farms within a 50 mile radius of the plants. That has to save on the long haul shipping costs.

The single biggest thing any individual can do is to make as many reasonable choices as they can for their specific situation. As a family our carbon foot print is horrendous due to our jobs. My bride is a Senior Flight Attendant with a major US carrier. Anybody want to guess what her carbon foot print is for flying some 500,000 miles a year? My job is not much better, requiring some 50,000 miles of driving. My personal vehicle was driven a grand total of 4,000 miles last year. I put about 2,000 on my bicycles and another 200 or so walking.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon

Last edited by wahoonc; 04-23-12 at 05:34 AM.
Old 04-23-12, 10:19 AM

Bikes: Trek Y-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I drive my truck around, and ride my bike when it is decent outside. I do not recycle and I use plastic bags when I shop even though we have a 5 cent tax on them.
Old 04-23-12, 12:56 PM
Rider of the Storm

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1986 Trek 850

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't own a car
I don't have kids
I recycle
I only eat local poultry & fish for meat
I buy local as much as humanly possible
I volunteer locally

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.