Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycle with your dog?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycle with your dog?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-12, 10:42 PM

Bikes: CCM 21 speed big box special.....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycle with your dog?

Does anyone cycle with their dog running beside/behind them? How did you train them to do so and ever have any bad run in's? How far/often do you take your dog out with you as im thinking of getting a dog and want to bring the dog with.
Old 04-24-12, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
As long as this is a future dog purchase we're talking about, and not a current dog (cant teach an old dog new tricks). You might look into buying a breed of dog that is capable of riding a bicycle on its own; rather than one that would have to run alongside.
Old 04-24-12, 11:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny my parents 8 year old dog was following me around and he never saw a bike in his whole life until now. But I was talking about something like a boston terrier. No seriously long hauls just like 10-15km with stops in between.
Old 04-25-12, 08:41 AM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'd skip the bike-based dog "walking". About a year ago a woman (who was also a dedicated cyclist) was hiking when a bicyclist with two dogs in tow tripped her with one of the leashes (from behind). Her head injuries were fatal. More likely on a trail than on the street, but isn't it difficult enough to avoid accidents without the dog?
Old 04-25-12, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I've taken my border collie on a mup with a retractable leash while riding my mtn bike. You have to be VERY careful and good with a bike. I've only done it a few times with very few people around. Dogs like to stop & start randomly, so it's easy to get yanked around. You need to be prepared to stop at a moments notice. I would not recommend doing this unless conditions are just right.

I am fortunate to have some quiet dead-end roads where he can go for a walk and be off the leash.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 04-25-12, 09:54 AM
Banned.

Bikes: CCM Torino 76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rdtompki
I'd skip the bike-based dog "walking". About a year ago a woman (who was also a dedicated cyclist) was hiking when a bicyclist with two dogs in tow tripped her with one of the leashes (from behind). Her head injuries were fatal. More likely on a trail than on the street, but isn't it difficult enough to avoid accidents without the dog?

THat is a bizzare story. Often when I walk or ride with my dog, she forgets about the leash and winds up on the wrong side of a signpost or something. I have enough human common sense to watch out for these situations, even if my dog does not. I cannot imagine someone who is not completely metally... vacant... would have two dos on leash and not be aware that if one of the dogs goes on the wrong sode of a person or thing, a problem might result.

My verdict: THe problem is not with the act of a dog owner riding with a dog, but the act of the dog owner exising as a complete idiot.

Edit: Do you have a source for the story about the tripped hiker dying?

Last edited by DCB0; 04-25-12 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-25-12, 10:25 AM

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
I am fortunate to have some quiet dead-end roads where he can go for a walk and be off the leash.
Those are the only places I ever rode with my dog (half border collie, half husky, man I miss that dog), up on gated off logging roads with no traffic and no people. Mostly though I ran with her. She was good for about 6 or 7 miles before she started slowing down -- I think her feet were getting sore. So when I knew I was going on a longer run, like 18 miles, I had to leave her at home. That was hard for both of us.
Old 04-25-12, 11:19 AM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DCB0
THat is a bizzare story. Often when I walk or ride with my dog, she forgets about the leash and winds up on the wrong side of a signpost or something. I have enough human common sense to watch out for these situations, even if my dog does not. I cannot imagine someone who is not completely metally... vacant... would have two dos on leash and not be aware that if one of the dogs goes on the wrong sode of a person or thing, a problem might result.

My verdict: THe problem is not with the act of a dog owner riding with a dog, but the act of the dog owner exising as a complete idiot.

Edit: Do you have a source for the story about the tripped hiker dying?
The woman who died from her injuries was the wife of one our club members. I don't think the cyclist was apprehended, but the event was witnessed. There were some news stories, but little sense in resurrecting such a senseless loss of life.
Old 04-25-12, 11:31 AM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rdtompki
The woman who died from her injuries was the wife of one our club members. I don't think the cyclist was apprehended, but the event was witnessed. There were some news stories, but little sense in resurrecting such a senseless loss of life.
??? Then why did you ressurect it? To make a point about how you think cycling with dogs is dangerous?

Last edited by DCB0; 04-25-12 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-26-12, 03:39 AM
tonyjaja

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
never cycle with dog, because i like see beauty on the way, i don't want spend time on take care of dogs

Old 04-26-12, 06:45 AM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tonyjaja
never cycle with dog, because i like see beauty on the way, i don't want spend time on take care of dogs
Good point. Bringing a dog certainly changes any activity, although to many people this is not a bad thing. Is some ways it is similar to bringing children with you - you lose some of the carefree attitude but gain a companion.
When riding in busy areas or on the road, you have to keep one eye glued to the dog at all times to avoid bothering others or endangering you or the dog. However, in quiet areas or back inthe widerness, dogs can oten be left to run free and simply follow along, sniffing and peeing and chasing squirrels.
Old 04-28-12, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I've always thought that dogs and bikes are a bad mix. There are just too many things that can go wrong.

On the other hand...check out this video that I stumbled across recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...XLLA&vq=medium
Old 04-29-12, 09:01 PM

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Crux, Schwinn Mesa

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have taken my dog out to run while I ride. usually its not intentional but rather when I am opening the door to get the bike out he bolts for it. Once he is out he wont come back inside if you call him, so I figure if I ride around for a while he will follow me. I found that I have to ride at a fast pace for at least 3-4 miles to tire him out before he will willingly go back in the house. Now my dog is in no way a threat to anyone, he is an Igpin (Itailian grey hound and mini pincher mix). He just likes to run, its the greyhound in him. If I slow down he gets distracted and wanders around but if I keep up a good pace he stays right by my side.
Old 05-03-12, 06:49 AM
Raleigh Superbe

Bikes: 1974 Raleigh Superbe, Roadmaster Mountain Sport Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had foot surgery three weeks ago so I had to stop walking the dog. Beacuse my doctor said that I could ride a bike as soon as I felt capable my wife bought me a new one for my birthday. The first few days I got on the bike and took the Chihuahua up and down the dead end, just to get her use to the pace and turns. Last night we actually made a full block (I went on my full ride after I brought her home). I stopped once so she could pee and sniff. The only real issue that we had was that she is scared of big dogs and tried to run to the wrong side of my bike when one started barking from it's back yard.

10 - 15 KM with a boston terrier , I would plan on having a basket or back pack for it to ride in when it gets to tired to run, they have short legs.
Old 05-04-12, 08:56 AM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Took my choclate lab out for a 4km ride actross town yesterday to watch my son play soccer. I am pleased to report that riding with your dog is a good idea if you can control and trust your dog. Labs are about as smart as a sack of stones, but they learn quick what you want them to do. She was a little excited and tried to pull and run in front of me when we started, but I patiently stopped and told her 'no' and 'heel' and only started riding again when she was right beside me. After about 2 blocks she was trotting alongside perfectly. She ran slightly ahead the two times we saw squirrels, but a quick tug on the leash and a 'no, heel' and she was back at my side.
Old 05-08-12, 07:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried telling my wife "no, heel" . She changed her shoes.
Old 05-19-12, 06:47 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
This offers a new range of possibilities.

Maybe Rover should be your stoker.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 05-19-12, 07:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if I put a basket on the front of my bike and had a boston terrier in it .... imagine the women ...CHA CHING
Old 05-19-12, 09:26 AM
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Scotiascotia
Does anyone cycle with their dog running beside/behind them? How did you train them to do so and ever have any bad run in's? How far/often do you take your dog out with you as im thinking of getting a dog and want to bring the dog with.

Cerrie trots along side (she sets the pace).
I won't ride on the street with her, but the sidewalks around here already have kamikaze electric wheelchair riders and oblivious texting skateboarders - so a goofball pulling a trailer at jogging speed fits right in.
Old 05-19-12, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to take my Lab out in the woods following my 4-wheeler,chasing a few deer was the only problem.....I have had him follow me on the bike,but that was just down the street.......too many potential problems to take on a real ride....traffic,other dogs,ect.
Old 05-19-12, 09:52 AM

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I hate dealing with dogs on MUPs, so I would say no. Too dangerous to the dog, to other cyclists, and to yourself. Don't know the law where OP is, but in my state, there is strict liability if your dog injures another person. In other words, your dog injures someone, you are on the hook for damages almost without exception.
Old 05-19-12, 10:35 AM
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's obviously not a good idea if the dog isn't trained to follow commands.
My border collie takes her "rides", seriously - like it's her job to stay stuck to my right side , about 6 inches from my pedal.
She knows SLOW, STOP, LEFT, RIGHT, and doesn't pay attention to any distractions.
Old 05-19-12, 12:43 PM

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I've known some really smart dogs. Those around here are more likely to be aware of bikes, and get out of the way than people. I have yet to see one that understood the effect of a leash in such situations. If Dog is on strict voice command, it sounds like a great idea. If not, I would leave him at home.