Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Gearing Up For Summer

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-12, 06:07 AM

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 5.2 (RIP), 2013 Trek Domane 5.9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gearing Up For Summer

The warm days are starting to creep in down here in Bayou Country so the hot days won't be far behind. Last year we had a record breaking heat wave and were still suffering through a two year drought. Hydration was, for me, a monumental challenge. Our drought was broken last month but that only means that the humidity will be soaring again this summer. It's always something, lol.

Anyway, knowing how hard it was for me to get/ stay properly hydrated last year, this year I've upgraded some equipment. I've been using 21oz. Camelbak Podium bottles and I love them. This year I upgraded to the 25oz. bottles. I'm also going to experiment with the backpack hydration system. I know that, according to a lot of Roadies, the backpacks violate the rules of cool, but that's their problem, lol. I don't know how the backpack will work out for me but, if it does, I can definitely see some advantages. I ordered the 70oz., BTW.

Anyway, is there anything you're doing differently this year to beat the heat?
Old 04-28-12, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm trying to figure that out myself, have two of the 25oz Camelbak bottles and it was just enough for my ride of 3.4hrs today. I guess I'll be getting a refill when the temps get 10degs higher or more. I use one with water, and the other with 50% gatorade and 50% water. Need to start using sun block as well, I'm getting a dark tan in the exposed areas. My arms look funny with white hands, and dark arms.
Old 04-29-12, 06:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okie, that's how I'm planning on using the bottles, too. I don't know if I'll use Gatorade, though. Maybe Heed or something. I also feel ya on the tan, thing. My hands, they're a'glowin'. lol
Old 04-29-12, 10:20 AM

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Quick Carbon 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have tried two kinds of the insulated Camelback bottles as well as one of the Polar insulated bottles. I find in hot weather they only keep my drinks really cold for about 60 minutes or perhaps 90 if I put ice in them as well (which I prefer not to do as the taste isn't as good when the ice melts).

I was thinking of trying to 1/2 fill the bottles and freeze them overnight then top them off before I ride. Is this OK on these types of foil insulated bottles and more importantly DOES IT WORK?
Old 04-29-12, 10:42 AM
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I don't own any insulated waterbottles. But this year,
I'll experiment with putting ice in my insulated Thermos
bottle that I use in the winter time.

https://www.target.com/p/Thermos-Dire...e/-/A-13271680
Old 04-29-12, 10:52 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by r32nj
I have tried two kinds of the insulated Camelback bottles as well as one of the Polar insulated bottles. I find in hot weather they only keep my drinks really cold for about 60 minutes or perhaps 90 if I put ice in them as well (which I prefer not to do as the taste isn't as good when the ice melts).

I was thinking of trying to 1/2 fill the bottles and freeze them overnight then top them off before I ride. Is this OK on these types of foil insulated bottles and more importantly DOES IT WORK?
I use the Polar insulated bottles, fill them full and freeze overnight or two nights. They last close to 4 hours cold.
To get 8 hours wrap one in a towel inside a pannier or bar bag.

Old 04-29-12, 11:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I use the Polar insulated bottles, fill them full and freeze overnight or two nights. They last close to 4 hours cold.
To get 8 hours wrap one in a towel inside a pannier or bar bag.
Another trick I've heard about and plan to try is just to slide the bottle down into a sock, of all things, before you put it in the cage. Sounds weird and probably looks a little goofy but, if it works, what they hey? I don't expect the water to stay "cold" for an entire ride but if I can keep it from boiling out of the bottles then it's a good day.
Old 04-29-12, 12:37 PM
Aluminum Convert

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I go through lots of water on longer rides and always carry a Camel Bak along with 2 25 oz water bottles in cages. I don't care if it gets warm or not. I was in the Army for 20 years, carried a ruck sack weighing much more than a Camel Bak, along with 2 canteens, LBE, steel pots and K pots so a few pounds on the back is no big deal to me. I don't care about the rules of cool either. If someone doesn't like me wearing a Camel Bak or any other small pack he can go on around me.
Old 04-29-12, 12:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jbman, I feel the same way. My main concern with the Camelback is how hot it might make my back feel. I'm thinking, though, that if I fill with ice along with water, it may actually keep my back cooler and help my core temp stay a little more controlled. Am I way off?
Old 04-29-12, 12:50 PM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I just bought a camelback podium big chill the other day and I can safely say it works great. I filled it with ice, and then room temperature water, drove to my son's dive meet - didn't even hit the bike for 2 hours after I filled it (so it sat in the car in 90 degree heat for 2 hours) and it was still icy when I tried it.

Yesterday was tough - I went through 48 ounces of water and gatorade in only 20 miles and still ran out. I'm usually a one bottle per hour guy but this was my first hot ride in a while.

Having said that, I typically don't need water to stay cool for more than an hour and a half. Then I'm looking for refills.

Street Pedaler - who cares what the cool roadies think. The longer distance guys out here will wear camelbaks anyway, regardless of what's "cool".
Old 04-29-12, 03:54 PM

Bikes: 2009 Rocky Mountain RC30 D

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Street Pedaler
Jbman, I feel the same way. My main concern with the Camelback is how hot it might make my back feel. I'm thinking, though, that if I fill with ice along with water, it may actually keep my back cooler and help my core temp stay a little more controlled. Am I way off?
The degree to which it effects your back will in many ways depend upon the model you are interested in.

I have an older Camelbak Mule NV which has a special raised back that allows air to flow between your back and the pack. You will still have some warm/sweat spots, but, nowhere near as hot as a standard backpack. It has a 3 litre / 100 ounce capacity and I put the filled reservoir in the fridge overnight and pop it in the back pack and the water stays cool right to the end. I remember being surprised by this as I thought the water would reach ambient temperature like my bottles, but, it doesn't seem to.

With the model I have there is no cooling effect from the reservoir.

I use it for multiple activities including road biking, although I think it's marketed for the MTB crowd. It has so much practical functionality for me that if I lost it, I would go out and try to replace it.
Old 04-29-12, 04:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trojan, I here ya. I couldn't really care much less what's "cool" or not. I'm looking for practicality and function. If it does what I hope it will, I'm all over it.

Seve, thanks. I ordered a Lobo for no other reason than the fact that, from the pics, it LOOKED to have a bit flatter profile. 70oz capacity and pockets that I'm sure I can find a way to fill. I couldn't tell if it's raised from the wearer's back but, if I had to guess (just based off of the pics), I'd have to guess that it lays flush against the back. Guess I'll find out in a day or two.