Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Decatur, Georgia; hope this isn't someone we know.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-12, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

There are a couple of posters here on the 50+ forum from Decatur (a part of Atlanta metro).

link to story https://www.ajc.com/news/dekalb/bicyclist-dies-after-being-1428310.html

I'm from Atlanta but didn't start riding until I moved to my current semi-rural location. I swear that I don't know how so many of you go out and mix it up with dense traffic. I don't want anything to do with it.

Last edited by TomD77; 04-30-12 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-30-12, 01:31 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Old 04-30-12, 01:36 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sad.
Old 04-30-12, 04:06 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
No details of the incident, but my prayers go out to his loved ones.
We never know when the bell will toll for us.
Old 04-30-12, 04:26 PM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
I'm seeing more reports of older cyclists being killed on the road by motorists... makes me wonder... the last couple of reports detailed the cyclists as being long time riders... Are drivers just becoming more stupid or what?
Old 04-30-12, 04:34 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
This is getting rediculous! Two cyclist were killed last week in Florida. I was going to post about it, but I have posted several stories about cyclists getting killed in Florida and didn't want to make it sound like that is all I post. This is why I only ride on the roadways in groups of five or more riders as more riders make you more visible.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 04-30-12, 05:15 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hopefully I won't be a victim. I wear hi-viz jerseys, use a Radbot 1000 in the rear(the blitz setting), and a use blinking MagicShine 808e in the front.
Old 04-30-12, 05:27 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

I've ridden on that stretch of N. Decatur Rd. SCARY!!!! I don't know why the cyclist didn't take Desmond or some other side street with slow moving, light traffic that runs parallel to N. Decatur.
I wish every cyclist in the Atlanta area would take the Confident City Cycling classes. Maybe this kind of tragedy could be avoided.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 04-30-12, 06:12 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
Hopefully I won't be a victim. I wear hi-viz jerseys, use a Radbot 1000 in the rear(the blitz setting), and a use blinking MagicShine 808e in the front.
Good choices. That and riding with others. A group of 5-7 is usually safer due to 1) higher visibility, 2) belief on the part of crazies that 5-7 people may beat the crap out of you/record license number/take photo/testify in court and 3) is a lot less irritating than 15-20 people taking up big portions of the road.

I was driving in the opposite direction of a cyclist tonight that had a blinking front light that that could be seen from Mars. Much better than driving up on a guy in a 'bent with little or no visibility.

Also saw a guy ride down my road with red and white barber pole'ish kit. He looked very strong, and very visible.

As for me - allergies here in NJ are incredibly bad. I rode 30 on Fri. and 50 on Sat. On Sat., my eyes were watering so much that I could barely see to ride. On Sunday, my whole face hurt. I hope it rains tonight.
Old 04-30-12, 07:21 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
I'm seeing more reports of older cyclists being killed on the road by motorists... makes me wonder... the last couple of reports detailed the cyclists as being long time riders... Are drivers just becoming more stupid or what?
Probably.

Cyclists are becoming pretty dumb, too.

At the busiest intersection of town, I frequently see a Sengali ride on the wrong side of the street at rush hour. Not wearing a helmet is the least of his problems.

I see folks ride on streets I don't like to drive on.

Was this a factor for this gentleman? I don't know. Its a tragedy no matter how you look at it.

Old 05-01-12, 06:29 AM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
I've ridden on that stretch of N. Decatur Rd. SCARY!!!! I don't know why the cyclist didn't take Desmond or some other side street with slow moving, light traffic that runs parallel to N. Decatur.
I totally avoid N. Decatur Road on bike don't even like driving a car on it. Extremely narrow 4 lane road and absolutely overwhelmed with dense traffic, cars, trucks, buses and bikes . There are far better bike routes through this area. I commute down Desmond to avoid N. Decatur Road.

I am so sorry to hear about this rider.

As for older riders getting into trouble. I am an older rider. Age of cyclists has nothing to do with it. Car drivers are simply not engaged in the task. Too busy on phone talking, playing music, texting, etc. We all have seen this on every road, every day. Please put the toys down and drive your 3000 pound weapon carefully.
Old 05-01-12, 08:24 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I've driven that stretch many times and my daughter lives somewhat close by, now. He could be dressed in every bright, neon color known and had lights going and he might well have been still hit and killed as fast as this stretch can be. Not anything horrific in speed but the physics say the bicyclist looses big time when the speed goes up with that mass involved and it gets pretty quick in that area.

Saddened to read this and prayers for his family.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 05-01-12, 07:21 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
It's been 25+ years since I rode on N. Decatur Road - I'm sure that like the rest of Atlanta, the traffic is much worse now than then. Bicycle South is on that road, isn't it?

More older cyclists hit by cars? Pretty sure there are a lot more older cyclists (including JanMM) on the streets now than ever before.
Old 05-02-12, 01:25 PM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paul Taylor was a PA with the Emory University School of Medicine. Tragic loss. He also coached girls soccer. I did not know him but the news is passing through and everyone has been asking all day about this. Thoughts go with his family.
Old 05-02-12, 02:24 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
Unfortunately, being lit up like a Christmas tree doesn't always help. The two guys from Florida, killed last week, were wearing reflective clothing and had more than proper lighting on their bikes when they were hit by a driver that claimed he didn't see them. A third rider was injured and sent to the hospital and thankfully will live.

Link to story

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Last edited by John_V; 05-02-12 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-02-12, 04:28 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
Unfortunately, being lit up like a Christmas tree doesn't always help. The two guys from Florida, killed last week, were wearing reflective clothing and had more than proper lighting on their bikes when they were hit by a driver that claimed he didn't see them. A third rider was injured and sent to the hospital and thankfully will live.

Link to story
That's just sad and shows the driver of the vehicle was not paying attention. I know that I'm at risk every time I ride. But, what I do hopefully reduces my risk--I had a driver once tell me that I have one really bright headlight and it got his attention. I do ride on back streets and not the main roads(especially the 4 and 6 lane roads in Newport News). The roads I do ride on, for most of the route, have signs identifying them as bike routes. Anyway, I try to be diligent and ride defensively. I don't trust many behind the wheel--heck, I don't trust many other cyclists(especially the college kids around me). Today, some kid from the college campus, not wearing a helmet, crossed the road right in front of me with one car turning left, other cars turning right on the other side and some cars going straight, and me going straight about 19mph. I slowed a tad and swerved to ensure there wasn't a problem--but, I also I exclaimed, "Geez, Dude!" He responded with a "Sorry."
Old 05-04-12, 05:44 AM

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What really POs me is the use of the term "accident". A mechanical failure causing the collision would be an accident. A deer running into the road causing the collision would be an accident. "Not seeing" the rider, adjusting the radio, using a phone, putting on makeup, not paying attention are not accidents, they are negligence (and can be on either the cyclists or drivers part). "A driver killed a cyclist, how sad, but accidents happen." Grrrrrr. We've got to figure out a way to change that attitude.

Yeah, I know, but it POs me...