Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cleaning/lubing my bike...How do i go about that so i dont break something..

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-12, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Didnt know which forum to put this in so i figured general would work, but mods feel free to move it if it should be somewhere else, thanks!

I'm new to serious biking and i have my dads 09 Trek 7.2FX that ill be commuting to work 20miles(round trip) 5 days a week.

How do i go about cleaning and lubing all the spinning bits and pieces? Ive never actually cleaned a bike before (other than hose off my old wally world MTB haha). Im not afraid to use tools as ive wrenched on everything (literally) inside and outside on my jeep.

So what products should i use? How do i go about it?
Old 05-01-12, 11:54 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
It's great that you're riding your dad's bike. YouTube is your friend for bike maintenance and instructions. Maintenance you'll need to perform routinely: clean/lubricate the chain, check and inflate tires, fix flat innertubes, and adjust brakes and derailleurs. You should attempt to learn each of these in turn - as they'll be necessary in the order I've given them.

Get a bike stand or loop some ropes or chains from your garage rafters so that you can get the bike up off of the ground while you adjust it. Visit a friendly local bike store or cooperative and ask questions about basic maintenance. Maybe they'll have a class or guided sessions. They can recommend materials that you'll need (rags, cleaner, lubricant, tools). The rest is up to you.

If any of us were to write it down here, it would fill a book. Literally.

Good luck.
Old 05-01-12, 11:57 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
One Last Thought:

You're not going to break anything by cleaning it. Use care.

But, don't spray pressurized water into any bearing surfaces (crank spindle bearings, hub bearings, steering bearings) because this can cause damage over time by removing grease and leaving water inside.

Other than that - be observant, learn, see how things work. Every part is there for a purpose - figure out how things work, and you'll know when something needs adjusting.

Good luck
Old 05-01-12, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome advice thanks. I just picked up some new Specialized Armadillo tires at my bike shop. So ill go over those components when i install them.