Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Train with power

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-12, 09:20 PM
Climbers Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Train with power

Do any of you guys train with power?

Have you found it gives you insight you didn't have into your training with just gps and hr?
Old 05-01-12, 09:42 PM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vesteroid
Yes.

Have you found it gives you insight you didn't have into your training with just gps and hr?
Yes, but I'm not convinced that most people will put in the time/analysis necessary to justify the amount of money spent to acquire a power meter.
Old 05-02-12, 05:45 AM
Climbers Apprentice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting.

I am going to give it a try. I have a high school acquaintance who,is a level two coach ad he is going to work with me. I wanted a lighter set of wheels anyway so got a set of cyclops wheels with the pro hub.

I use training peaks anyway so I hope that helps too.
Old 05-02-12, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We just recently had a thread about this, there's some good info in there.

Just a word of caution on the pre built wheels from cyclops:

Originally Posted by paisan
I have a Powertap wheel, I got a good deal on a set of the factory built sets that come laced to A23's. The factory build was crap, the spokes were nowhere close to evenly tensioned and I was getting loose spokes and/or having to retrue them after everyride. I eventually got tired of dealing with it and rebuilt the wheels myself, now i have no more problems. Because of this I do not recommend anyone buying the factory builds directly from Cycleops unless they have wheel building experience. If you're going to have to pay a wheel builder to rebuild a factory set, you might as well get it done right from start.
Old 05-02-12, 05:52 PM
Climbers Apprentice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank paisan, that was a lot of help.

Hope my wheels come in better than yours did. They were so cheap compared to customs I think I could have them rebuilt and still be cheaper. I got them for 1095 delivered, and the closest custom ones were 1400 plus shipping
Old 05-02-12, 07:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 05-02-12, 08:28 PM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank paisan, that was a lot of help.

Hope my wheels come in better than yours did. They were so cheap compared to customs I think I could have them rebuilt and still be cheaper. I got them for 1095 delivered, and the closest custom ones were 1400 plus shipping
I paid about the same for a custom wheelset with a PowerTap Pro+ hub (but no computer; I already had a Garmin Edge 705).

BF member Psimet2001 usually has very good prices! He's a one-man show so things take a while, but the build quality is very good and his prices are difficult to beat... I ended up with a 24H White Industries H2 front hub, 28H PowerTap Pro+ rear hub, Kinlin XR-270 and XR-300 rims, DT Swiss competition spokes, and brass nipples. The wheels have been rock-solid for the last 2.5 years. Looks like I might finally need to tweak the truing sometime this summer.
Old 05-02-12, 09:31 PM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Here's a good book to go with your power meter (I haven't read it but I see it mentioned every time somebody talks about training with a power meter)

https://www.amazon.com/The-Cyclists-T...6015873&sr=8-1
Old 05-02-12, 09:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Here's a good book to go with your power meter (I haven't read it but I see it mentioned every time somebody talks about training with a power meter)

https://www.amazon.com/The-Cyclists-T...6015873&sr=8-1
That book has been the standard for self trained cyclists for a long time but if you want to know the why's and how's and what does it all mean of a power meter this is the book to get

https://www.amazon.com/Training-Racin.../dp/1934030554
Old 05-03-12, 10:29 AM
Bulky Bullet

Bikes: Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rule #74// V Meters or small computers only.

Forgo the data and ride on feel; little compares to the pleasure of riding as hard as your mind will allow. If you are not a Pro or aspire to be one, then you don’t need a SRM or PowerTap. To paraphrase BSNYC, an amateur cyclist using a power meter is like hiring an accountant to tell you how poor you are. As for Garmins, how often do you get lost on a ride? They are bulky, ugly and superflous. Cycle computers should be simple, small and mounted on the stem. And preferably wireless.
Old 05-03-12, 02:33 PM
Climbers Apprentice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sayre Kulp
Rule #74// V Meters or small computers only.

Forgo the data and ride on feel; little compares to the pleasure of riding as hard as your mind will allow. If you are not a Pro or aspire to be one, then you don’t need a SRM or PowerTap. To paraphrase BSNYC, an amateur cyclist using a power meter is like hiring an accountant to tell you how poor you are. As for Garmins, how often do you get lost on a ride? They are bulky, ugly and superflous. Cycle computers should be simple, small and mounted on the stem. And preferably wireless.
I don't feel I need to defend my purchases nor follow your rules
Old 05-03-12, 02:36 PM
Climbers Apprentice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
I paid about the same for a custom wheelset with a PowerTap Pro+ hub (but no computer; I already had a Garmin Edge 705).

BF member Psimet2001 usually has very good prices! He's a one-man show so things take a while, but the build quality is very good and his prices are difficult to beat... I ended up with a 24H White Industries H2 front hub, 28H PowerTap Pro+ rear hub, Kinlin XR-270 and XR-300 rims, DT Swiss competition spokes, and brass nipples. The wheels have been rock-solid for the last 2.5 years. Looks like I might finally need to tweak the truing sometime this summer.

Yeah, one week ago I sent in my I of for a pricing request, have yet to even get a reply. Yet he popped in a thread I posted on road bike asking about vendors and "mentioned" how he was "better" now. If this is better, I don't see how he has customers. There are too many people willing to take customers orders, rather than waiting a week just for a reply....wonder how long it would take to get the wheels
Old 05-03-12, 05:25 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, one week ago I sent in my I of for a pricing request, have yet to even get a reply. Yet he popped in a thread I posted on road bike asking about vendors and "mentioned" how he was "better" now. If this is better, I don't see how he has customers. There are too many people willing to take customers orders, rather than waiting a week just for a reply....wonder how long it would take to get the wheels
Remember: Rob works a full-time job, races, and builds wheels in his spare time. There are only so many hours in a day!

It took me 2-3 weeks to get the order nailed down and then about a month after that to get the wheels. That was during the middle of winter. Wheels would have arrived sooner, but there was a delay getting PT hubs from the distributor. Given the time of year, it wouldn't surprise me if things were even slower now.
Old 05-03-12, 06:43 PM

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Personally I would like one so that I can at least figure out where my power figures are at. I'm not riding anywhere near as fast as I would like to go, and am wondering if my weight (nearly 400 pounds) is the biggest thing keeping me back or if I really am wimping out on power output.

I cannot seem to regularly average 14mph or more. Perpetually stuck in the 12-13.5mph average loop speed.

My problem of course is that no one will build me a wheel with a power meter in it because they're all 32 spoke and every wheelbuilder I've approached says they wouldn't trust a 32 spoke wheel with my weight; and the cranks are always road doubles that are too highly geared for me. I've been waiting for Garmins pedal power but now that seems to have been chucked off into the oblivion for god knows how long. Sigh.
Old 05-03-12, 08:25 PM
Bulky Bullet

Bikes: Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't feel I need to defend my purchases nor follow your rules
All in jest, my friend. (hence the )

Someone had sent me a link to "the rules" of the "Velomenati". I just happened to be reading Rule #74 in one window and then saw this thread in another. The timing of which made me do a spit take. Once I cleaned up my monitor, I just couldn't resist posting it here.