Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Killington Stage Race 2012

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-12, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This will be my first year doing the KSR - I'm really starting to get quite excited for it! I'll be racing Cat 4.

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips from racing it in years past. This is this years race flyer - https://www.killingtonstagerace.com/F..._KSR_Flyer.pdf - I'm not sure if it differs from previous years in terms of length or course.

Also - who else out there will be racing KSR? Looking forward to seeing everyone out there!
Old 05-02-12, 01:04 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi via Nirone 7, GT Zaskar 9r Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just make sure you stay away from this guy, he's death in the field.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ngbbs4dd8cc919e92e.jpg (28.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-02-12, 01:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dolamite02
Just make sure you stay away from this guy, he's death in the field.

Took me a couple of minutes to figure that out!

Last edited by allawayr; 05-02-12 at 09:14 PM. Reason: broken image
Old 05-02-12, 01:38 PM
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
i'm a bit slow on the uptake of the inside joke. Anyone cares to explain?
Old 05-02-12, 01:55 PM
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wife's heading there...I'll be staying home...

It's her first time doing KSR, she's pretty excited...
Old 05-02-12, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
i'm a bit slow on the uptake of the inside joke. Anyone cares to explain?
https://familyguy.wikia.com/wiki/Buzz_Killington
Old 05-02-12, 02:16 PM

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Xenith Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i don't get the joke either...

allawayr: based on the flyer and distances, i'm going to assume the races are the same as last year, despite the damage from hurricane irene at the end of last summer. i think most of that has been repaired. i raced 4/5 last year so i'll tell you what i know based on that.

circuit race: neutral rollout a few miles down to the start followed by three loops. there's a climb in the middle. it's not too steep - maybe 5-6%, if i remember correctly? - but it lasts a couple of miles. the KOM point is at the top, but it's not really a climber's KOM. my field stayed together on the way up and then guys would just sprint the last 1-200m. there was a significant headwind going up the climb, which was partly why the field stayed together. after the KOM, there's a short, steep descent - over 50 mph last year - followed almost immediately by a right turn. from there, it's a long, gradual flat/downhill to the finish. after the finish, you take a right turn to start the next loop. very fast finish, but the pavement is a little rough, so watch out. many of last year's races ended in field sprints. with the layout of the course and the wind direction last year, it was tough to get away from the field.

TT: mostly flat, with a little power climb near the end. the profile will show you slight elevation gain, but i think there was a bit of a tailwind, so it kind of evened out. there's also one short hill in the middle for which i think i had to shift down into the small ring, but just for a few seconds. pretty straightforward. get as aero as possible and hammer for 11 miles.

road race: nothing happened for the first ~25 miles, at which point there was an intermediate sprint. shortly after that, there's a substantial climb that split the field. probably similar to the jericho climb in your race - somewhere in the 1.5-2 mile range at about 7-8%, IIRC. that was tough. be at the front going into that. then there's a descent that i think has a dirt section. after the descent, nothing else interesting happened until the final climb, at which point everyone just went into survival mode. 2 miles of pain at about 10%, a brief rolling/flat section, and then one last 800m kicker to the finish.

my biggest piece of advice would be to make sure you have appropriate gearing for the final climb in the road race. it's hard. i'm light and i like to spin, but still, i had 34x25 and wished i had a lower gear. might go with a 28 this time, although i'm stronger so i'm not sure i'll need it.

see you there!
Old 05-02-12, 02:21 PM
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The finish in the circuit race is really fast, and IIRC is preceded by a long descent into a sharp turn--the course isn't selective enough to really break things up, so you're likely to have a big field at the end, and wherever you are at going into that turn is most likely where you'll be sprinting from.

The TT is pretty flat and straight. Aero-stuff helps for this one.

The first 30 miles of the RR are extremely flat and boring. The rest of it is extremely steep and awful(ly fun). The finish is brutal.

It's a great race.
Old 05-02-12, 05:33 PM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Adding this to the list of races with a Cat2-only field.. maybe one day I'll make it over there.

my race videos
Old 05-02-12, 08:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those that aren't getting the joke - that character from family guy is "Buzz Killington."

Originally Posted by climber7
i don't get the joke either...

allawayr: based on the flyer and distances, i'm going to assume the races are the same as last year, despite the damage from hurricane irene at the end of last summer. i think most of that has been repaired. i raced 4/5 last year so i'll tell you what i know based on that.

circuit race: neutral rollout a few miles down to the start followed by three loops. there's a climb in the middle. it's not too steep - maybe 5-6%, if i remember correctly? - but it lasts a couple of miles. the KOM point is at the top, but it's not really a climber's KOM.
this is disappointing to hear!

my field stayed together on the way up and then guys would just sprint the last 1-200m. there was a significant headwind going up the climb, which was partly why the field stayed together. after the KOM, there's a short, steep descent - over 50 mph last year - followed almost immediately by a right turn. from there, it's a long, gradual flat/downhill to the finish. after the finish, you take a right turn to start the next loop. very fast finish, but the pavement is a little rough, so watch out. many of last year's races ended in field sprints. with the layout of the course and the wind direction last year, it was tough to get away from the field.
Hopefully it will be different this year...I'm a fan of the early break, personally...much more comfortable with that

TT: mostly flat, with a little power climb near the end. the profile will show you slight elevation gain, but i think there was a bit of a tailwind, so it kind of evened out. there's also one short hill in the middle for which i think i had to shift down into the small ring, but just for a few seconds. pretty straightforward. get as aero as possible and hammer for 11 miles.
I guess it's time to buy/borrow some aerobars now that it's not collegiate!

road race: nothing happened for the first ~25 miles, at which point there was an intermediate sprint. shortly after that, there's a substantial climb that split the field. probably similar to the jericho climb in your race - somewhere in the 1.5-2 mile range at about 7-8%, IIRC. that was tough. be at the front going into that. then there's a descent that i think has a dirt section. after the descent, nothing else interesting happened until the final climb, at which point everyone just went into survival mode. 2 miles of pain at about 10%, a brief rolling/flat section, and then one last 800m kicker to the finish.
thanks for the pointer....glad to hear it's similar to jericho - I'll make sure to hit that up a couple of times in the next month (did it today!)

my biggest piece of advice would be to make sure you have appropriate gearing for the final climb in the road race. it's hard. i'm light and i like to spin, but still, i had 34x25 and wished i had a lower gear. might go with a 28 this time, although i'm stronger so i'm not sure i'll need it.

see you there!
I'm comfortable with grinding, but prefer not to if possible. I'll look into gearing...I have a 34x28 and a lot of steep long hills to get used to it so I should be fine.

See you there too, cheers!
Old 05-02-12, 08:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GirlAnachronism
The finish in the circuit race is really fast, and IIRC is preceded by a long descent into a sharp turn--the course isn't selective enough to really break things up, so you're likely to have a big field at the end, and wherever you are at going into that turn is most likely where you'll be sprinting from.

The TT is pretty flat and straight. Aero-stuff helps for this one.

The first 30 miles of the RR are extremely flat and boring. The rest of it is extremely steep and awful(ly fun). The finish is brutal.

It's a great race.
You and climber seem to be pretty much in agreement. Maybe I can borrow a disk wheel for the TT... if I can find someone nice enough!

Good to hear about the second half of the road race. Looking forward to it. Thanks!
Old 05-03-12, 08:26 AM
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by allawayr
You and climber seem to be pretty much in agreement. Maybe I can borrow a disk wheel for the TT... if I can find someone nice enough!

Good to hear about the second half of the road race. Looking forward to it. Thanks!
Hah, yes, indeed! Glad to see that my memory is serving me reasonably well.

The RR actually isn't all that consistently hilly, it's just two very steep climbs, and the intermediate one was where my field blew apart last year. We had some fun going into the sprint to keep my teammate in the sprinter's jersey, but unfortunately the sprint point is RIGHT before the first climb, which made life suck for those of us doing work at the sprint.
Old 05-06-12, 07:58 PM

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Transonic; Zunow Z-1; All-City Macho King ACE; De Bernardi Track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
Dang I would love to do this! If anyone from Boston is going to this and would like to help out a Cat 4 racer/Cat 3 hopeful, get at me!
Old 05-12-12, 07:18 PM
Mountain goat

Bikes: BMC Team Machine SLR01, (RIP) BMC Team Machine SLT01, CDale SuperV400, Cramerotti Genius Nivacrom, C'Dale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will be there.
Old 05-13-12, 11:34 PM
Disgruntled Grad Student

Bikes: CAAD 10, Cross Pro, Cross Comp, TK2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If anyone would be coming from as far as Pittsburgh, I'm still trying to figure out a ride. being a young, hip, carless urbanite is really a drag when it comes to getting to races...
Old 05-14-12, 10:31 AM
some guy

Bikes: yes sure do

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thinking about entering... it'd probably be my first race... in Men 3 ( I've been told to enter in that category )

I'd have 2 weeks to prepare.. this sounds like a terrible idea but hey, the steeper the learning curve.. the.. more ... learning.? Or dying.
Btw, anyone know anything about travel insurance for racing? I'm from Quebec so if I crash in the USA now I'd have no insurance and it would cost me infinity billion dollars.
Old 05-14-12, 10:59 AM
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If this is your first race ever, do not enter the Men's Cat3 race...Bad idea...

Getting travel insurance is just like any other time you travel. Only difference is I would not say I was racing. You are simply on an organized bike ride...
Old 05-14-12, 11:13 AM
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Canadian Insurance doesn't insure for foreign travel?
Old 05-14-12, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by poxpower
Thinking about entering... it'd probably be my first race... in Men 3 ( I've been told to enter in that category )

I'd have 2 weeks to prepare.. this sounds like a terrible idea but hey, the steeper the learning curve.. the.. more ... learning.? Or dying.
Btw, anyone know anything about travel insurance for racing? I'm from Quebec so if I crash in the USA now I'd have no insurance and it would cost me infinity billion dollars.
If you have never raced before, then you would be Cat 5. Here, everyone must start as a cat 5 until they have completed 10 races, not sure what the rule is if coming from another country. Cat 3 is for racers who were a cat 4 and have earned enough upgrade points from placing in races to become cat 3. It would be a bummer to come down then find out you can't race because you registered for the wrong category.

You could contact USAC: https://www.usacycling.org/usa-cycli...-directory.htm
Here's some license info, but doesn't seem to address non-U.S. racers: https://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=6784

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 05-14-12 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-14-12, 12:16 PM
some guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coach said to enter Men 3 category. He's also got a bunch of pro / cat 1 guys already registered in the race so I guess... I trust him? Personally I'd feel safer doing it cat 4/5. Seems wiser.
I'll contact USAC anyway, good idea.

In Canada, there's only senior 1-2-3 in my age range ( I'm 27 )
3 being just about anyone. It does sound insane that they'd let anyone who's senior 3 enter all the way up to cat3 events no matter what.
Old 05-14-12, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rbart4506
If this is your first race ever, do not enter the Men's Cat3 race...Bad idea...

Getting travel insurance is just like any other time you travel. Only difference is I would not say I was racing. You are simply on an organized bike ride...
Old 05-14-12, 07:38 PM
some guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha I got an email from the USAC guy, he said I could enter the cat 3 if I wanted.
There is a serious flaw in this system. Move to Canada for your free instant cat 3 upgrade guys!
Old 05-14-12, 07:51 PM
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Every province has its own association, most of which have lower categories.
Old 05-14-12, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by poxpower
Haha I got an email from the USAC guy, he said I could enter the cat 3 if I wanted.
There is a serious flaw in this system. Move to Canada for your free instant cat 3 upgrade guys!
one would think that a canuck cat 4 would be the equivalent of a US cat 6.

Last edited by botto; 05-15-12 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-14-12, 09:56 PM
some guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In cat 6 your dad still gets to give you a big push in the back to start off the race. Training wheels are of course, mandatory, however baseball cards are no longer allowed in the spokes since the 2009 Tim Hortons parking lot crash that caused Derek Charbonneau to scrape both of his knees.

His cookie monster bike horn was totaled.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.