Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rear Reflector Removal '58 Hercules

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-12, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I need to remove the fender stays but the heads of the bolts that hold the clamp for the stay at the fender are hidden behind the rear reflector. I didn't want to start pulling at the 50+ year old rubber mount for the reflector before asking for advice. Here's what I'm looking at. On the photo of the inside of the fender, those are the threaded ends of the bolts protruding through the clamp and the bolt heads are on the outside of the fender but hidden behind the reflector. What is the correct method for removing the reflector so that I can access the bolt heads?>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1774.jpg (90.2 KB, 13 views)
IMG_1775.jpg (93.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 05-02-12, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by jdave5917
I need to remove the fender stays but the heads of the bolts that hold the clamp for the stay at the fender are hidden behind the rear reflector. I didn't want to start pulling at the 50+ year old rubber mount for the reflector before asking for advice. Here's what I'm looking at. On the photo of the inside of the fender, those are the threaded ends of the bolts protruding through the clamp and the bolt heads are on the outside of the fender but hidden behind the reflector. What is the correct method for removing the reflector so that I can access the bolt heads?>
This was difficult even when the parts were new, but way back a new replacement assembly was cheap. Many of the plasticizers that were there are probably gone, there might be some hope of soaking it in hot hot water for a time, say 15 minutes, replenishing as the temp falls off... and hope.
Old 05-02-12, 04:16 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
So if I warm up the rubber to make it a little more pliable, do I just peel it back? What is the rubber anchored to undernath?
Old 05-02-12, 04:25 PM
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
You peel the rubber away from the reflector. Behind that you will have a little metal plate with the two screws holding the mudguard stays. The rubber housing for the reflector is sandwiched between little metal plate and mudguard.
Old 05-02-12, 05:32 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
OK - I was just coming back here to say that I got it disassembled and to show the parts. Surprise, my "discovery" was already described in the above post that was sitting here while I was at work. Anyhow - if any one is curious, here is what it looks like after disassembly exactly as explained by photogravity. The round brown item is a piece of "kraft paper" that was behind the reflector so that the metal plate and screws underneath did not show through. Everything is in remarkably great shape. The surface of the reflector is a candidate for the "headlight lens restorer" treatment that I just did to my son's Maxima a couple of weeks ago (Sylvania's product works great for that if your headlight lenses are all clouded), and probably some Armorall for the rubber. Thanks for the replies and I'll probably be back here before long with more questions.
Attached Images
IMG_1776.jpg (90.4 KB, 17 views)
Old 05-02-12, 06:04 PM
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jdave5917
OK - I was just coming back here to say that I got it disassembled and to show the parts. Surprise, my "discovery" was already described in the above post that was sitting here while I was at work. Anyhow - if any one is curious, here is what it looks like after disassembly exactly as explained by photogravity. The round brown item is a piece of "kraft paper" that was behind the reflector so that the metal plate and screws underneath did not show through. Everything is in remarkably great shape. The surface of the reflector is a candidate for the "headlight lens restorer" treatment that I just did to my son's Maxima a couple of weeks ago (Sylvania's product works great for that if your headlight lenses are all clouded), and probably some Armorall for the rubber. Thanks for the replies and I'll probably be back here before long with more questions.
Good work. Sorry I forgot about the paper, or is it that the ones I've disassembled didn't have it? I know some of my old bikes the plastic reflector itself is disintegrating, so be cautious, though it sounds like the plastic of your reflector is surprisingly intact.
Old 05-03-12, 06:07 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I wonder if that "paper" was light coloured or possibly silver at some point in it's life, to assist the reflector?

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 05-03-12, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Good work, you were fortunate that is came apart without incident. I would use a foil lined cardboard lid as often provided by restaurants with to go orders behind the red reflector.
Old 05-04-12, 10:19 AM
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 4 Posts
now that you have it apart- make sure you take the effort to either grease the threads or replace the hardware so the next collector has an easy time of it!