Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

ID on side by side recumbent tandem plz

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-12, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im getting a great deal on this bike regardless of the details, but i am curious on the make and model as there are no logos on the bike and also approximate value. it has internally geared 8 speed nexus hubs. both seats can shift independently, and the left seat steers. they did have sort of unprofessional looking stickers that said "Buddy's Bike shop" or something like that.
Old 05-08-12, 08:21 AM

Bikes: Rodriguez Toucan tandem, Rodriguez Rainer Lite sport/touring

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is not a bicycle nor is it a tandem. This has 4 wheels - not 2 - making it a quadracycle, or something like that. The word tandem means "one behind the other" - thus this is not a tandem, since the riders are side-by-side.
Old 05-08-12, 08:35 AM
Trail Blazing

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Epic, Niner RLT 9 Steel, Cannondale RT2 Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Never seen one quite like that. But I do have a question. Does that have two separate drive wheels? If so, you don't even need to steer ... just pedal faster or slower than the person next to you.
Old 05-08-12, 08:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you swc7916 for the information drawn from your infinite font of intellect. i will go forth enlightened.
NoTrail: you can pedal independently, and they are separated, so there is probably something to that.

any idea on approximate value of this not tandem two-person quaike?
Old 05-08-12, 10:59 AM

Bikes: Co-Motion Speedster Co-Pilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may want to post this in the Recumbents forum.
Old 05-08-12, 11:16 AM
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I believe it's called a "Buddy Cycle", not to be confused with either of the the two different two-wheeled incarnations of the "Buddy Bike".

They were only produced for a short period of time a long time ago. Do some homework and read the old reviews on the 'bent forums before deciding what it's worth to you.

FWIW: It's technically called a "sociable" cycle", which is any type of a "pedal-powered cycle" having two, three or four wheels where the riders sit side-by-side.

There is a better-quality version sociable recumbent on which the Buddy Cycle was based called the J2B: https://www.justtwobikes.com/
Old 05-08-12, 02:09 PM

Bikes: Rodriguez Toucan tandem, Rodriguez Rainer Lite sport/touring

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by diamonddustdc
thank you swc7916 for the information drawn from your infinite font of intellect. i will go forth enlightened.
You're welcome.
Old 05-08-12, 03:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks a ton TandemGeek usefull info. im paying 300, so its worth that to me... i just assume its worth well more, and curious if that's so. i have the same post over at the recumbent forum, but you are so far more helpful here. thanks again.
Old 05-08-12, 03:56 PM

Bikes: Co-Motion Speedster Co-Pilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
El Paso is located on the Southern Tier transcontinental cycling route so we are always running into riders who are doing coast to coast rides. We once ran into a couple who were riding this route on a side by side recumbent bicycle. The bike was very slow to ride but they were a retired couple with all kinds of time and were not in any hurry. They seemed to really enjoy their bike.
Old 05-08-12, 04:23 PM

Bikes: Custom Single, factory fixed, Cannondale RT2

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
NoTrail: you can pedal independently, and they are separated, so there is probably something to that.
So on that topic, it would seem to me to be harder to keep in sync than not?! If only because the power output * cadence would seem to be hard to qualify between the two peddlers. I'd think it would be a hoot on a beach boardwalk though.
Old 05-08-12, 04:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock
So on that topic, it would seem to me to be harder to keep in sync than not?! If only because the power output * cadence would seem to be hard to qualify between the two peddlers. I'd think it would be a hoot on a beach boardwalk though.
Im exactly sure what you mean. from the test ride it didnt seem an issue... now if your talkin scientific power squeezing and utter efficiency, you might have somthing there... but one person can pedal, and the other can chill or both can really pour it on, it was still quite fun...

Yeah, my girlfriend and i dont expect it to be fast. just quirky and fun. might make a trailer for the dog. or just mull around the local neighborhood streets and parks.
Old 05-08-12, 05:40 PM

Bikes: "97 Nashbar TweeTee, '94 Trek T100, '95 Univega Via Montega, '08 Trek 1.2, '09 Trek EX8, '00 Trek R200 Recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For $300 I'd grab it too. Looks like fun. Even my stoker thinks so.

Since it's not a "tandem", you can't call the team captain and stoker. How about pilot and co-pilot?
Old 05-08-12, 06:00 PM
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm paying 300, so its worth that to me...
Old 05-08-12, 06:33 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Im exactly sure what you mean. from the test ride it didnt seem an issue... now if your talkin scientific power squeezing and utter efficiency, you might have somthing there... but one person can pedal, and the other can chill or both can really pour it on, it was still quite fun...
Sorry, I could have been clearer (and maybe I am misunderstanding how the bike (quike?) works), but each drive wheel is wholly-independent of the other correct?

With that being so I would think that (for example) if you are used to providing more force for each pedal stroke, and a faster (or higher) cadence than your partner, would (if i'm thinking this through correctly) cause the bike to list in one direction and you would find yourself having to correct for that drift on a regular basis.

I know that I'm totally over-thinking this, but I'm intrigued by the idea.

Also, for $300, who cares what any of us internet armchair commentators have to say!

Last edited by CaptainHaddock; 05-08-12 at 06:35 PM. Reason: clarity and update comment
Old 05-08-12, 07:05 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock
Sorry, I could have been clearer (and maybe I am misunderstanding how the bike (quike?) works), but each drive wheel is wholly-independent of the other correct?

With that being so I would think that (for example) if you are used to providing more force for each pedal stroke, and a faster (or higher) cadence than your partner, would (if i'm thinking this through correctly) cause the bike to list in one direction and you would find yourself having to correct for that drift on a regular basis.

I know that I'm totally over-thinking this, but I'm intrigued by the idea.

Also, for $300, who cares what any of us internet armchair commentators have to say!
You're probably overthinking it, but it could be possible to have issues with two riders of wildly dissimilar power outputs or pedaling styles. Probably not a real world problem at the speeds most teams ride those sociables.

Here's another take on side-by-side cycling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
26sidetandem.jpg (30.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 05-08-12, 10:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
to be clear, it was never a question of if i was going to buy it, at 300. no brainer, i knew that in parts alone... just wanted info.

as for one person "torque steering" the bike... it didn't seem an issue at all...( i believe there are older (maybe modern) cars with only a single wheel powering at all.) i totally get the thought, but whith my limited experience on the test ride, my girlfriend stopped peddling all together, and we stayed going straight.

as for the above take on SxS cycling.... to me that looks frightening. Cool, id ride it... but scary none the less.
Old 05-09-12, 06:45 AM
Trail Blazing

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Epic, Niner RLT 9 Steel, Cannondale RT2 Tandem

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
... as for one person "torque steering" the bike... it didn't seem an issue at all...( i believe there are older (maybe modern) cars with only a single wheel powering at all.)
That's a really good point. Hadn't thought of that. Give us a report once you've had it for a while.
Old 05-16-12, 03:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
alright. quick update if anyone still cares. we picked up the bike yesterday, and gave it a 17 mile ride home. rides great no real glaring noticeable "torque steering" issues. only bit of concern (?) while taking a left turn at speed, my buddy on the right broke hard with rear brakes only, and we did skid out a bit, it was somewhat frightening... but i would chalk that up to user error.

Overall, the Quike is a blast, but not much more. its VERY heavy, and therefore quite slow, especially on the hills. It is stable going downhill rather quick, but i suspect a little sketchy if one were to corner sharply going really fast. very comfortable, and a fantastic conversation starter. everyone we ran into thought it was great. If it brings a smile to their faces, and mine, then money well spent.
Old 05-16-12, 08:46 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Woot! Great to hear!