Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

For all you haters who think Bicycling Mag never does anything worthwhile...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-12, 06:43 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts

https://tinyurl.com/7e4ulrv

I'd love to try these rides.
Old 05-09-12, 07:04 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Cool article, even though the stuff gives me a headache (beer, not Bicycling). I also agree that there have been too many electrons wasted on ragging on Bicycling. Don't like it, don't read it. I have a subscription.

Old 05-09-12, 07:09 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
They have an excellent article on why kids are not riding bicycles to school - in fact, documenting that some schools actually have policies prohibiting bicycling to school.

If you can get past the hype, they have had some excellent in-depth articles along the way I have a subscription, also
Old 05-09-12, 07:15 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
They have an excellent article on why kids are not riding bicycles to school - in fact, documenting that some schools actually have policies prohibiting bicycling to school.

If you can get past the hype, they have had some excellent in-depth articles along the way I have a subscription, also
I was never allowed to ride a bike to school at any school I attended in the Akron, OH area until college. I don't know where you guys live, but roads in the area of most schools are barely safe to drive on, let alone ride a bike. New schools are not designed for cyclists, or even walkers.
Old 05-09-12, 07:27 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Terex
I was never allowed to ride a bike to school at any school I attended in the Akron, OH area until college. I don't know where you guys live, but roads in the area of most schools are barely safe to drive on, let alone ride a bike. New schools are not designed for cyclists, or even walkers.
Yes, that is part of the article, also.

Heck, when I was a kid, some folks rode horses to school.
Old 05-09-12, 08:44 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Agree. I read the article. Heh, love the bit about the assistant principal being backed up by,, a New York state trooper? Good christ, what is this coming to? But, the young man won in the end.

Who's going to be the first to say "When I was your age, I walked sixteen miles in raging snowstorms to school". Come on, someone just has to.

I like Guinness, Sam Adams Cream stout, and Tremont Ale. (Very expensive!) Now, before anyone starts shrieking "Beer Snob!", I also like Pabst Blue Ribbon! (In my best Dennis Hopper voice)
Hey, for an in-expensive brew, it is actually decent.
Old 05-09-12, 09:26 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks like fun but I'm afraid I would get a BWI or is that a CWI?
Old 05-09-12, 11:43 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are several excellent brew pubs & breweries in the greater Madison, Wisconsin area. 3 of them have won multiple gold & silver medals from the World Beer Cup competitions. One could easily map out a route to hit them.

Heck there are so many of them around here, you can even do it off of the bike rail trails & MUPs, as they run past several bars. The rail trail that runs past my subdivision passes 6 pubs over its next 16 miles.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 05-10-12, 04:56 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
Bicyclists spend too much time having to dodge moms (and dads) driving their children to school to keep them safe from the traffic.
Old 05-10-12, 05:02 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
There are several excellent brew pubs & breweries in the greater Madison, Wisconsin area. 3 of them have won multiple gold & silver medals from the World Beer Cup competitions. One could easily map out a route to hit them.

Heck there are so many of them around here, you can even do it off of the bike rail trails & MUPs, as they run past several bars. The rail trail that runs past my subdivision passes 6 pubs over its next 16 miles.
Just noticed your location. Is the "Paoli Pump" still a popular Madison club ride?
Old 05-10-12, 05:36 AM

Bikes: Lynskey Helix, Wilier Izorad XP, Specialized M2 and a Trek 8500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil

Tyranena makes one of my favs, Bitter Women IPA, yummmm. They also do limited runs that are real good....
Old 05-10-12, 05:41 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Silly article. Would one promote an automobile driving tour of breweries? Not unless the story said you go from brewery to brewery to LOOK, BUY, but NOT DRINK. I wouldn't recommend that anyone drink a beer (or two) and then ride a bike. [slaps forehead with palm, mutters...]
Old 05-10-12, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Silly article. Would one promote an automobile driving tour of breweries? Not unless the story said you go from brewery to brewery to LOOK, BUY, but NOT DRINK. I wouldn't recommend that anyone drink a beer (or two) and then ride a bike. [slaps forehead with palm, mutters...]
Uh-oh. Probably shouldn't mention those tours of vineyards in the Bay area I took....

Old 05-10-12, 06:47 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
A man's got to know his limits.
Old 05-10-12, 06:55 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Yes, that is part of the article, also.

Heck, when I was a kid, some folks rode horses to school.
That's due to cars not being use yet ;-P.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 05-10-12, 11:23 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I have a subscription also. And I think Bicycling has really improved recently.
Old 05-11-12, 12:39 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CraigB
Just noticed your location. Is the "Paoli Pump" still a popular Madison club ride?
Paoli remains an extremely popular destination for cyclists, as it lies on a mapped 25 mile ride that is distributed in many forums. A popular ride for those who want to do a few hills and ride country roads. The Paoli Pub is still there, but was bought out last year and is a bit different now. There's now a small grocery store in the same building which offers a lot of natural/organic foods, many energy & hydration drinks, and just opened a small cafe.

A new rail trail opened nearby, connecting Madison all the way to Freeport, IL and over to New Glarus. It runs through Belleville, Monticello, and Monroe, so there is access to all of the pubs & taverns in those towns. As well as the M&M Cafe in Monticello which has great pie.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 05-11-12, 04:52 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn
I have a subscription also. And I think Bicycling has really improved recently.
New editors will sometimes have that effect. That is not to say that the previous editors were not skilled. Rather, a switch in editors is often a switch or an adjustment in direction that the publication recognizes is needed. I too have a subscription, which is renewed each year as a birthday gift from my mother-in-law. So, there are not demeaning mother-in-law jokes told in my home!
Old 05-11-12, 06:10 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I subscribe and really enjoy most of the articles they have. My only disappointment is the lack of articles for older riders.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-11-12, 06:15 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
That's due to cars not being use yet ;-P.
Well, actually, some rode dinosaurs!!
Old 05-11-12, 06:38 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by trackhub
Who's going to be the first to say "When I was your age, I walked sixteen miles in raging snowstorms to school". Come on, someone just has to.
Nope, but I spent a few years at a 3-classroom country school. Walked almost a mile in the winter, which made mine one of the shorter commutes. Sometimes the snowplow driver would give me a ride. In warmer weather, everyone rode bicycles, and nobody locked them. When school got out, we had a veritable squadron of bikes barreling down the gravel roads.
Old 05-11-12, 06:54 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
New editors will sometimes have that effect. That is not to say that the previous editors were not skilled. Rather, a switch in editors is often a switch or an adjustment in direction that the publication recognizes is needed. I too have a subscription, which is renewed each year as a birthday gift from my mother-in-law. So, there are not demeaning mother-in-law jokes told in my home!
The last change in editorship happened right after the editors of the time allowed a couple of articles that praised recumbents. One editor even went so far as to write, "Make mine supine!" That policy of covering 'bents just like any other bikes convinced me to get a multi-year subscription. But the advertisers couldn't let that go and the entire staff was fired shortly thereafter. That appeased the advertisers, but it destroyed their subscription numbers, which for all I know NEVER recovered. And it left me pretty angry since it left me with a multi-year subscription to a mag that was now openly hostile to my style of bicycle. I promised myself to never buy another issue.
Old 05-11-12, 07:04 AM
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Well, that just kills off all the fun. That's one of the best weekly rides here, the Night Riders Sunday evening pub ride. I don't drink much however, and what I do is burned off pretty quick.
Old 05-11-12, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
The last change in editorship happened right after the editors of the time allowed a couple of articles that praised recumbents. One editor even went so far as to write, "Make mine supine!" That policy of covering 'bents just like any other bikes convinced me to get a multi-year subscription. But the advertisers couldn't let that go and the entire staff was fired shortly thereafter. That appeased the advertisers, but it destroyed their subscription numbers, which for all I know NEVER recovered. And it left me pretty angry since it left me with a multi-year subscription to a mag that was now openly hostile to my style of bicycle. I promised myself to never buy another issue.
Let's not get bent out of shape.

Sorry, I had to steal that line from another thread because I thought it was funny.

Old 05-11-12, 08:07 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Bicyclists spend too much time having to dodge moms (and dads) driving their children to school to keep them safe from the traffic.
Time for an old fart rant: A few years ago, they widened the street in front of my old elementary school by an entire lane. The Reason: To accomodate all the SUV's, being driven
by moms (and dads) taking the kids to school, and picking them up later. And, you know where this is going: When I went there in the 60s, you walked or biked. Just that simple.

It's all gotta be some sort of strange dream. That is the only explanation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.