Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Windsor Tourist

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Windsor Tourist

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-05, 08:14 PM
Human donkey

Bikes: brompton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Windsor Tourist

Is this a good bike? Is it a good deal at $549? https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
Old 01-03-05, 08:42 PM
pierced member

Bikes: Shogun Cromoly 500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by x2mars
Is this a good bike? Is it a good deal at $549? https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
Looks good to me, and apparently new, looking at the components. Tour-ready too, for the most part (needs a front rack, possibly). The photos didn't load so well for me so I wasn't able to look at all the details, but for $549, +$40 for shipping, I think $600 isn't too much to pay for a tour ready bike. You might wanna snap it up fast though, or somebody on this forum might nab it before you. I wouldn't tho...
Old 01-03-05, 08:55 PM
pierced member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tourbike
Looks good to me, and apparently new, looking at the components. Tour-ready too, for the most part (needs a front rack, possibly). The photos didn't load so well for me so I wasn't able to look at all the details, but for $549, +$40 for shipping, I think $600 isn't too much to pay for a tour ready bike. You might wanna snap it up fast though, or somebody on this forum might nab it before you. I wouldn't tho...
Oh, wait, there's 11 listed. I was able to see all the pics, and it looks great, with my only personal opinion being the STI/brake shifting being a replaceable item, but that's just my personal opinion.

Free-for-all on the Windsor, everyone?
Old 01-03-05, 09:33 PM
Slow and unsteady

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The main problem I see is the over-the-top sales pitch. The seller says it is a high grade touring bike like a Trek 520 or a Rivendell Atlantis. And that the Windsor bike would list for $1495.

To me it looks like a step below an REI Randonee, and that lists for about $900.
I have a Trek 1200 sport tourer with Tiagra shifting, generic hubs and brakes, and a carbon fork that I got for $720 new. And it came from a bike shop that helps me with any problems.

The Windsor bike has unnamed and probably generic hubs, rims, seatpost, stem, handlebars and rear rack. And the crankset with 52-42-30 chainrings is a little overgeared for heavy loaded touring in hilly areas (for many but not all riders.)

It might be a good deal. But in my opinion, not a fantastic deal.
Old 01-03-05, 09:49 PM
pierced member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bradw
The Windsor bike has unnamed and probably generic hubs, rims, seatpost, stem, handlebars and rear rack. And the crankset with 52-42-30 chainrings is a little overgeared for heavy loaded touring in hilly areas (for many but not all riders.)
I just saw the Deore derailleurs and figured, hey, not too shabby. Probably should've looked closer at the pics...
Old 01-03-05, 10:02 PM
pierced member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bradw
The main problem I see is the over-the-top sales pitch. The seller says it is a high grade touring bike like a Trek 520 or a Rivendell Atlantis. And that the Windsor bike would list for $1495.
I did a little more research, and it APPEARS this is a fly-by-night Taiwanese pre-manufactured frame company that assembles with some mid-to-high range components, possibly overstock. One telling feature about their site ( https://www.windsorbicycles.com/ ) is that there is no fixed address/shop, no retailers and the only way to contact them is to email them. No phone, either. They offer a warranty, which is highly suspect, considering one has no idea where they are. The price quote is their own, of $1495. I suspect they are selling their stock on ebay.com in order to liquidate.

Sorry for my initial enthusiam, I have been looking for good deal on a bike for some time, and you have to admit on first glance it does look clean.

So, I change my opinion to no, it isn't a good deal.
Old 01-03-05, 10:45 PM
Sweetened with Splenda

Bikes: Too many 80s roadbikes!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Several of the Windsor bikes are built in the same factory that builds Fuji bikes, and this looks essentially similar to the Fuji Touring, which I've been very happy with. Thing is, you can get a Fuji Touring for just about the same pricepoint if you've got a local dealer, and that would come with all the support associated with buying from a local dealer...
Old 01-04-05, 09:20 AM
Human donkey

Bikes: brompton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess if I was had some build skills it might be worth checking out. But I'm going to need a shop to help me get a touring bike set up.
Old 01-07-05, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The Cycle Spectrum chain of bike stores, its webstore Bikesdirect, and their E-Bay operations (under a variety of names) seem to be a major source in the USA for Fuji, Motebecane, Mercier and Windsor. In fact, I have not seen 2004 model Motebecane, Mercier or Windsor bikes sold new by anyone NOT affiliated with the Cycle Spectrum family. They have two or three other brands that also function as sort of "house brands".

www.bikesdirect.com

Still, if someone is unable to locate a Fuji Touring, its Windsor "brother" might be a tempting alternative. Comparing the "Windsor" E-Bay ad to the Fuji 2005 and 2004 "specs", the Windsor seems to combine the 2004 Fuji frame with the 2005 Fuji components. The Fuji has a "list" price of $840, putting the "street price" at $700 to $800.

If someone buys a Windor from Cycle Spectrum, the bike would be covered by that chain's "lifetime free service" policy, that covers labor for repairs.

Last edited by alanbikehouston; 01-07-05 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-07-05, 03:17 PM

Bikes: 1984 Raleigh Kodiak Touring, 1992 Scott MTB, 2004 Fuji Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brokenrobot
Several of the Windsor bikes are built in the same factory that builds Fuji bikes, and this looks essentially similar to the Fuji Touring, which I've been very happy with. Thing is, you can get a Fuji Touring for just about the same pricepoint if you've got a local dealer, and that would come with all the support associated with buying from a local dealer...
brokenrobot, I think you're right. I have a 2004 Fuji Touring and by the look of their photos and specs, it is the same. The rack is exactly the same down to the stainless steel mounting hardware, the unusual quill stem is the same, the green metalflake paint is the same, the seat, the spokeholder...even the sizing sticker on the frame is the same!

I bought my Fuji on sale at Performance for a little over $600, which I thought was a good deal. Other places were selling it for $700-800.
Old 01-07-05, 03:44 PM
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Read the warranty on https://www.windsorbicycles.com/warranty.htm

Your options are limited if there are problems with the frame. You might have to ship the bike quite far for repairs:

"The frame to be replaced would be required to be delivered to Dallas, Texas; Bristol, England; Ottawa, Canada; or Brisbane, Australia at our direction."

Furthermore, you would have to pay for shipping in both directions:

"Customers are responsible for all carriage charges."

Because you would be buying from another person, you are not even eligible for the warranty!

"This warranty is limited to the original retail purchaser of the cycle and covers only defects in materials and workmanship."

This is not a good deal, in my opinion.
Old 05-30-05, 02:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, has anyone here actually ever ridden one f these?

It seems that all comments have been essntially based on speculation (informed in some case, but still having nevr ridden one...speculation).

I was also intrigued by this bike (comparing it to a trek 520 at about half the price), but wanted to find out what someone who has one or has ridden one has to say.

I have seen a lot of them on ebay new...none seem to be appearing used...so what does that suggest?
Old 05-31-05, 07:58 AM
FOG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregling
I have seen a lot of them on ebay new...none seem to be appearing used...so what does that suggest?
Those who buy them don't resell them, perhaps because they haven't joined the bike of the month club.
Old 05-31-05, 06:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm almost positive that it is a rebadged fuji touring. If you do a search for kenda eurotrek tires, almost nothing will come up. It seems that these tires only come on the fuji touring and the windsor tourist.
Old 05-31-05, 06:51 PM

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FOG
Those who buy them don't resell them, perhaps because they haven't joined the bike of the month club.
Either that or they haven't been around long enough for there to be much of a used market.

Originally Posted by Prg146
I'm almost positive that it is a rebadged fuji touring. If you do a search for kenda eurotrek tires, almost nothing will come up. It seems that these tires only come on the fuji touring and the windsor tourist.
Not likely. The geometry is different. They don't even come in the same sizes.

They share distribution through bikesdirect which is probably why they have similar component spec.
Old 06-01-05, 05:44 AM
FOG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed

They share distribution through bikesdirect which is probably why they have similar component spec.
How accurate are published geometry and size specs?
Old 06-01-05, 12:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW...it does appear that the "Windsor" frames--43cm, 49cm, 54cm, 58cm, 64cm--are the same sizes as the Fuji website. Not sure about the other specs, though.

https://www.fujibikes.com/2005/bikes.asp?id=22
Old 06-01-05, 01:38 PM
flux capacitor

Bikes: 2003 Bianchi Eros, 82 Univega (fixed), random year mtb frame for ss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregling
So, has anyone here actually ever ridden one f these?

It seems that all comments have been essntially based on speculation (informed in some case, but still having nevr ridden one...speculation).

I was also intrigued by this bike (comparing it to a trek 520 at about half the price), but wanted to find out what someone who has one or has ridden one has to say.

I would suggest doing a search in the road forums. You'll get more than enough reviews from owners of Windsor, Motobecane, etc. Most seem to be relatively positive. I was seriously looking at one myself for a while as a secondary bike/commuter.
Old 06-01-05, 02:06 PM

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720 with a Nexus hub, 2016 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
My brother has a Windsor Kennet and I have a Mercier Aquilla. BOth road bikes, not tour bikes, but we both got them from Cycle spectrum.

We are both pretty happy with our bikes.

If I could afford it I would be tempted to buy the tourist as I am wanting a tour bike.
Old 06-01-05, 04:57 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rnagaoka
FWIW...it does appear that the "Windsor" frames--43cm, 49cm, 54cm, 58cm, 64cm--are the same sizes as the Fuji website. Not sure about the other specs, though.

https://www.fujibikes.com/2005/bikes.asp?id=22
I don't know where you see that. According to https://www.windsorbicycles.com/cromoly.htm, the Windsor Tourist comes in 49, 53, 56, 59, and 62. Even on the one size that matches, 49cm, the geometry is different. They aren't the same bike.

It looks like Windsor just has a couple of frames, one steel one alu, that they just spec and paint differently to come up with different models.
Old 06-01-05, 07:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know where you see that. According to https://www.windsorbicycles.com/cromoly.htm, the Windsor Tourist comes in 49, 53, 56, 59, and 62. Even on the one size that matches, 49cm, the geometry is different. They aren't the same bike.
I got my Windsor sizing from the OP's eBay link. You're right, though...I would think the Windsor site is going to be the real numbers. (but that spokeholder still makes me suspicious that it's a re-badged Fuji )
Old 06-01-05, 08:03 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rnagaoka
I got my Windsor sizing from the OP's eBay link. You're right, though...I would think the Windsor site is going to be the real numbers. (but that spokeholder still makes me suspicious that it's a re-badged Fuji )
Interesting, the limited specs on the ebay auction are pretty close to the Fuji. Maybe Windsor just orders their frames in batches based on whichever Taiwanese plant has some spare capacity and what they are tooled up for at the time. So depending upon when you buy it, you could get something very different.
Old 06-01-05, 08:55 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Windsor and the Fuji are the same? unless someone is fudging the numbers they are very different. the Fuji claims 44 cm chainstays with 69-73 head/ 73 seat angles. That is classic touring bike geometry

The Windsor website claims 42 cm chainstays with 73-75/73 angles, that is sport bike geometry not touring geometry. Brazeons and spoke holders alone don't make a touring bike

BTW. The savy tourist puts his spokes wrapped in foam inside the seat post and lodged in with a wine cork They stay nice and clean and you can carry several more

Last edited by Cyclist0094; 06-02-05 at 05:10 AM.
Old 06-06-05, 05:10 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Alloro, Veloce, San Remo, Pista; Rivendell Canti Rom; Zinn custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Much stuff sold on ebay is listed by dealers; take a look at the sellers of all these ebay Windsor bikes and I bet they are mostly from the same seller.
Old 07-16-05, 08:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought one of these.
I am most definitely NOT a bike expert.

It was available in Very Large frame size.
And came with slightly larger tires.
I am 6' 2" and about 195 lbs.

I ride very much on the 3' just off the road-side.
I don't know where you ride.
But, if you ride on the roadsides,
then you know the garbage that is there.
And how much fun it is trying to avoid it.
It can be very rough and gravelly sometimes too.
So, I definitely wanted at least the 32mm tires.

I have put about 750 miles on it so far.
I can tell you to this point my likes and dislikes.

Pluses .....

1) Seems to be a relatively comfortable seat.
And the covering on the handlebars has a great feel.

2) Bike frame seems to absorb road shock pretty well.
This was a very pleasant surprise.

3) That little tray/carrier on the back .....
Is very lightweight and a good size.
It has been pretty useful.

4) The gear ranges are fabulous.
11-12-14-16-18-21-24-32 x 30-42-52
I live in Florida. Don't need low gears much.
Super high gear, 11 x 52 is great
for when riding with a tail wind.

Minuses .....

1) Spokes started breaking at around 500 miles,
all on the gear side of the rear wheel.
So ... time (and money) has been spent fixing this.
Not to mention the inconvenience.
The spokes are 290mm 14G / brand-X.

2) Kenda Eurotrek Tires seem to ride OK.
But, they do not have the "kevlar belt".
So, yes I have had some flats.
Extra liner is necessary.

3) The brake pull mechanism seems rather funky to me.
I have seen much better brake mechanisms.
It took me a little while to try and figure out
exactly how to put it together.
The book was no help. The picture in the book
was not what came with the bike.

4) The pedals are small. (not wide)
This may be common on the newer bikes.
I realize it makes it better for racing.
But, this is a "Tourist" bike not a Racer.
Also, I removed the toe straps.
Not high priority for my riding style.

In general ... for the price I paid ...
I think it is an OK bike.
Especially as a touring/general purpose bike.
The broken spokes thing has been annoying.
But, I will probably put many thousands of miles on it.

As was expressed earlier,
If you ever need service ... **********