Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized S-Works Road Shoe and BG Footbeds Input

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-12-12, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking for some input and/or experiences with the S-works road shoes. I've been wearing my Nike shoes for a few seasons and they just aren't that comfortable. I run Speedplay peddles and I'm intrigued by the Sidi Ergo 3 Speedplay option. My LBS was previously a Sidi dealer, but is no longer. I was recently in the new Sidi dealer, but didn't see many options in stock to try. Thus, I'm looking into other options. Is the BG system all it's cracked up to be or are most able to simply use the stock footbeds?

Thanks for the input!
Old 05-12-12, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the Sidi 5.5 and it gave me crazy hot spots with speedplay. Switched to S-works and no longer has hot spots. S-works is by far the best shoes I've ever owned.
Old 05-12-12, 08:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uncrx2003
I had the Sidi 5.5 and it gave me crazy hot spots with speedplay. Switched to S-works and no longer has hot spots. S-works is by far the best shoes I've ever owned.
I should add that I have problems with hot spots with my current shoes...both with speedplays and previously shimano 105s.

Thanks for the input!
Old 05-12-12, 09:15 PM

Bikes: 2012 Scott CR1 Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My previous shoes were Nikes and I was forced to upgrade from the stock soles to the BG Blue Footbeds which made a HUGE difference in comfort. I was using Look, than Shimano SPD-SL pedals with those shoes. When I switched to the S-works shoe I needed more arch support since the S-works was so much stiffer than the Nikes so I upgraded to the Green footbeds. I currently run speedplay zero pedals with the sworks shoes. Definitely recommended.
Old 05-12-12, 09:43 PM
I let the dogs out

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My shoes are Shimano R087's and they are great, except that they used to give me terrible foot pain. I got red BG footbeds and a varus shim in my right foot. That resolved all of my foot pain. YMMV
Old 05-12-12, 09:52 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tri Cross; Specialized Tarmac SL3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just upgraded to Specialized Expert road shoes and Speedplay pedals a few weeks ago. So far both work great. I really like the Boa lace design. I did get some inserts. My shop has a tough time keeping these (and most good shoes) in stock, so I just ordered them through the shop. When they came in, they did a mini fitting for me, installed the cleats, and made sure everything fit/worked well.

Keep in mind that I upgraded from MTB shoes and pedals, where nearly anything would be an improvement. My shoes really never felt tight enough, and I never get that feeling now.
Old 05-13-12, 06:32 AM

Bikes: Giant Advanced TCR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 Best road shoes I have ever worn.
Old 05-13-12, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have the road comp expert with blue footbeds. Friend of mine put my shoes on and road my bike a mile or so, one of the first comments were the footbeds and support. He bought some.

Also run speedplay zeros.

Lastly, dont put your footbeds in the dryer if they get soaked, they will shrink 5 sizes and you will be out $50. Duh.
Old 05-13-12, 05:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to hear all the positive responses. Seems that folks have switched from several different brands to Specialized with positive results. I'll plan to stop by my local Specialized dealer to try out the S-Works. Do most dealers have the Arch-O-Meter?
Old 05-13-12, 06:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this for me as well...shoes are very personal and everyone fits different...but I cured my frequent foot pain when I switched to S works with BG footbeds.....I choked at the bill, but not any longer....
Old 05-13-12, 07:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've tried about every single shoe on the market from 700 dollar customs to the 60 dollars specials to try to find a shoe, and the specialized shoes, no matter the level always ended up on my feet. so now, its all i ride. with the green footbeds and a few shims i have no issues.

worth every penny
Old 05-13-12, 07:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nugga22
Glad to hear all the positive responses. Seems that folks have switched from several different brands to Specialized with positive results. I'll plan to stop by my local Specialized dealer to try out the S-Works. Do most dealers have the Arch-O-Meter?
Most will. Just make sure you use it sitting down as your arch changes when standing and can mess up the reading
Old 05-13-12, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
I switched from Nike's to S-Works. I liked the green footbeds the best, hard to get use to the arch at first though. They do not feel right when you put them in and just stand up and walk around, but when your pedaling the arch support is very good. I use Esoles now. But the S-Works is the best shoe for my feet so far. I would say if your going to use a footbed, if at all possible, try the footbeds with the shoes before you buy for sizing purposes.
Old 05-13-12, 08:54 PM

Bikes: Pinarello Paris/Ui2, BMC TeamMachine SLR01/Campy Record EPS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've tried Shimano, Mavics, Lakes, and a variety of Sidi's. The Specialized S-Works I ride now are, without question, the most comfortable riding shoes I've ever owned. No hot spots, numbness, tingling, or discomfort no matter how challenging the ride might be. I might be sore in other areas, but not my feet.

-Bert
Old 05-14-12, 03:15 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use Spec BG footbeds in my Sidis (three pairs). They take some volume form them but it is worth it.
I would buy Spec shoes but I got Sidis cheaper.
Old 05-14-12, 03:39 AM

Bikes: Colnago C59 Italia Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sidis dont work for me at all - too narrow
Spesh dotn work for me at all - all that wedge causes havoc with my knees, unless you currently wedge your cleats i'd steer clear
Shimano work a treat for me
Old 05-14-12, 04:49 AM
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
I went from Sidi to Specialized 74 (same last as the S-Works) and the wider toe box has been absolutely wonderful.
Old 05-14-12, 08:47 AM

Bikes: ?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm on my 3rd pair of Spec BG Pro(?) shoes in about 6 years... believe they're the next one down from the S-Works. Excellent shoes, fit my high arches well and my clown feet don't get any hot spots.

Check the specialized site often if you're not in a hurry to buy, they have specials and closeouts on shoes which can save you some $$. The pair I have now were $120, over $140 off their MSRP.
Old 05-15-12, 07:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I'm somewhat surprised in the sheer volume of positive posts for the S-works shoes. I definitely consider that to be a strong endorsement. I'm hoping to stop by the local shop to try on a pair this weekend.

I think I'll also check with the Sidi dealer to see what my options are to try the Ergo 3. I'd hope they'd be somewhat willing to work with a potential purchaser of ~$500 shoes! Hopefully the S-works will be as good as you guys have made them sound and I won't need to worry about spending the extra money on the Sidis.