Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Quick-release seat lock?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Quick-release seat lock?

Old 05-12-12, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quick-release seat lock?

Hi,
I'm completely new to bicycling in the city, and I moved to Brooklyn a year ago. Here, bike theft is almost as popular as bicycling. I have a dirt bike. (A Giant, Women's Sedona, if that matters) and have just bought a U-Lock. However, the seat on the Giant Women's Sedona bicycle is a quick-release, and I really don't want it to get stolen.

The few bike seat locks I have found, I'm not sure if they'll work-- specifically this or this, although the second is a bit pricier. But I want to be able to leave my bike for hours unattended without worrying about the seat being stolen.

So if anyone has any ideas, that would be great! I'd be happy to provide more information if needed.

Thanks muchly in advance.
Old 05-13-12, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
you can replace the quick release bolt with a traditional one. your LBS will have them in stock. to go one step further you can get one like this https://www.brycefastener.com/megabolts.html

actually if your concerned about people stealing components off your frame you can replace your stem bolts with security bolts as well
Old 05-13-12, 07:09 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Replace the seat post QR with a standard allen head bolt, once adjusted you can use some super glue and put a bb in the hole. Another trick is to take an old piece of bicycle chain, slip into an inner tube and loop it up over the seat rails and around the seat stays then put it back together with a chain breaker tool, it won't stop someone determined, but it will definitely stop the casual parts grabber.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 05-13-12, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes the quick release is just an invitation. I replace them with just a standard bolt. Can't remember now, but I think it was just a quarter inch machine screw and nut. If you take the quick release bolt out and walk into the hardware store, they should be able to come up with something for a buck or so.

And of course bring the seat with you
Old 05-13-12, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://lifehacker.com/5847276/proper...easy-to-remove

Listen to Hal. He is a new York bike guy. Check out his lock rating videos too.
Old 05-13-12, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You can get a set of Zefal Locking QR wheel skewers and seatpost. Just double check what diameter seatpost it will work with.

They look like and work like regular QR seatpost and wheel skewers, but you cannot open them unless the bike is flipped upside down.
Old 05-15-12, 02:11 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Don't have a QR on the seatpost as once positioned right- It will rarely need to be repositioned.

I have a D lock and I have a Hawser. D Lock to secure bike to something solid and immovable and the hawser goes through both wheels and the seat rails. May be a bit more weight but it Deters casual theft.

Spike Milligan