Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Prescription sunglasses

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Prescription sunglasses

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-12, 10:13 AM
blk

Bikes: 2009 Scott Addict R3, 2003 Cannondale XR1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Prescription sunglasses

Any recommendations for brands and vendors of prescription sunglasses? Tired of sun and grit getting behind my regular specs, looking for something durable and wraparound. Contacts and lasik not an option
Old 05-14-12, 10:17 AM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
If you have a flexible spending account, head off to an eyeglass shop and you can pick up any number of prescription sunglasses. (well, you don't need FSA but it's a great way to spend money you have left over). Oakley makes nice ones.

You may want to consider their transition lenses so you don't get stuck somewhere with only your sunglasses when it's dark. Obviously that depends on the strength of your prescription, I'm blind without my specs.
Old 05-14-12, 10:26 AM

Bikes: 2010 Felt DA, 2012/6 Felt F5, 2015 Felt AR FRD

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Do you have an astigmatism that keeps you from wearing contacts?

I've been battling this myself too.
Old 05-14-12, 10:27 AM
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would love Transitions if they get dark enough and are polarized. To the OP most major sunglass manufactures produce subscription lenses. Find lenses and framez you like and contact the manufacturer through their website.
Old 05-14-12, 10:29 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KBentley57:14220942
Do you have an astigmatism that keeps you from wearing contacts?

I've been battling this myself too.
I have an astigmatism and I wear Acuvue Oasys lenses.
Old 05-14-12, 10:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zenni Optical for glasses. Good and not very costly. Way better than paying the huge market at the eye doctor.

https://www.zennioptical.com/
Old 05-14-12, 10:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am happy with my Rudy Project Rydons with the perscription adaptor.

Last edited by bghill1; 05-14-12 at 10:44 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 05-14-12, 10:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up some Rudy Project Rydon's in Rx about a month ago. Really like them. Went with a Matte Black Stealth frame and transition lenses, so I could use them late evening/early morning. The key gating issue with wrap Rx lenses is the degree of Astigmatism correction i.e. your cylinder power, as well as your total power. Typically if your cylinder power is greater the -1.00 it starts to get tricky in maintaining the Rx through the curvature of the wrap lense. Rudy in particular (there may be others) uses a form of mathematical correction to adjust for the wrap such that vision is perfect through the entire lense. When my optician spoke to the Rudy tech, he did not recommend going beyond -1.25 cylinder.

I will post some pictures in the next day or so. Good luck.
Old 05-14-12, 10:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EvenKeel
I picked up some Rudy Project Rydon's in Rx about a month ago. Really like them. Went with a Matte Black Stealth frame and transition lenses, so I could use them late evening/early morning. The key gating issue with wrap Rx lenses is the degree of Astigmatism correction i.e. your cylinder power, as well as your total power. Typically if your cylinder power is greater the -1.00 it starts to get tricky in maintaining the Rx through the curvature of the wrap lense. Rudy in particular (there may be others) uses a form of mathematical correction to adjust for the wrap such that vision is perfect through the entire lense. When my optician spoke to the Rudy tech, he did not recommend going beyond -1.25 cylinder.

I will post some pictures in the next day or so. Good luck.
This is why I went with the inserts/adaptor. I am to blind and my cylinder numbers are in the +3 and + 5 range.
Old 05-14-12, 10:46 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane, Specialized Secteur, Giant Roam 1, Trek 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found some wrap arounds at LL Bean ($75)that have a magnification insert very low - just good enough to see my bike computer. My distance vision is good enough that no prescription is necessary. I also found a cheap substitute ($20) on ebay - bikerglasses.com I think.
Old 05-14-12, 10:49 AM

Bikes: 2012 Giant Defy 1, 2013 Giant Revel 29er 0, Ritchey Road Logic custom build

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I love my Maui Jim aviators. They are polarized and exceptionally comfy. I, however, do not like the Oakley type glasses so aviators are what I use when I ride, and when I go out on a sunny day.
Old 05-14-12, 10:55 AM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by adefeatedman
I love my Maui Jim aviators. They are polarized and exceptionally comfy. I, however, do not like the Oakley type glasses so aviators are what I use when I ride, and when I go out on a sunny day.
You're missing out. Normal sunglasses let in way too much light over the top and sides of the frame, and they tend to slide around more. I left my riding specs at home by accident the other day and had to use my maui jim kahunas. They don't stay in place as well, and they let in a lot more stray light. Really, a much less pleasant experience IMO.
Old 05-14-12, 10:59 AM

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Specialized Roubaix Team Saxo, Fisher HiFi29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered some Oakley Monster Dog sunglasses from FramesDirect. They are awesome for riding. They called my eye doctor and got the prescription and took care of everything.
Old 05-14-12, 11:00 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by adefeatedman:14221086
I am a long time user of Maui Jim's sunglasses. I don't think anyone makes better lenses.
Old 05-14-12, 11:02 AM

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Have Wiley-X Airrage frames with prescription transitions lenses. It's great to have the transitions lenses so I can ride with the same pair of glasses, regardless of lighting conditions.

Old 05-14-12, 11:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
I would love Transitions if they get dark enough and are polarized. To the OP most major sunglass manufactures produce subscription lenses. Find lenses and framez you like and contact the manufacturer through their website.
What I did:

- bought an Oakley frame
- bought my transition lenses separately at an optical store

My total cost was around $50-60 (frame was $40 ish, $20 for the lenses since my work benefit covers $200 for my vision coverage *lenses were $220)

As for Transition lenses being "dark" enough - I've been wearing Transitions for about 7 years now and it has improved quite dramatically. The "transition" from clear - dark doesn't take that long any more.

Typically if your cylinder power is greater the -1.00 it starts to get tricky in maintaining the Rx through the curvature of the wrap lense. Rudy in particular (there may be others) uses a form of mathematical correction to adjust for the wrap such that vision is perfect through the entire lense. When my optician spoke to the Rudy tech, he did not recommend going beyond -1.25 cylinder.
I used to formulate all these presc. myself as I used to work for an optical lense company --- the base curves can go higher than that.

The only reason why they won't do it beyond 1.25 is because they don't want to replace the frame in case it breaks. 1.25 is pretty low and very doable. I've seen go up to 9 (there's a formula you have to follow) and it's been successfully done.
Old 05-14-12, 11:11 AM

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love my Rudy Project direct interchangeable!
Old 05-14-12, 11:19 AM

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Specialized Roubaix Team Saxo, Fisher HiFi29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't transition lenses work from UV? If so, then don't they turn dark when you are outside on a cloudy day?
Old 05-14-12, 11:21 AM
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
I am a long time user of Maui Jim's sunglasses. I don't think anyone makes better lenses.
I would agree...although they are not my cycling glasses, the optics on my Maui exceed those of my cycling RX glasses and regular RX glasses.

Also, Maui uses digital correction on their lens curvatures to ensure Astigmatism won't be an issue.
Old 05-14-12, 11:27 AM
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
I use https://www.switchvision.com/preview.html

They're ok...not amazing.

The optics / lenses for RX are decent, but they get dusty and hard to clean. Also, the frames sometimes interfere with my "upper" vision forcing my neck up a little...but this could just be me. The magnetic feature to change lenses is cool though.
Old 05-14-12, 11:43 AM
DEK

Bikes: '11 Felt Z85

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I have prescription Oakley Flak Jacket XLs that are great.
Old 05-14-12, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wiley X Jake's
they have a nice felt lining with vents for controlling air around the eyes.
I used to have to ride with a TT helmet + visor. Not anymore.

T
Old 05-14-12, 11:48 AM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,284 Times in 709 Posts
I notice the OP didn't mention anything about "cheap", so I'll happily chime in with a recommendation of the vendor who made my cycling glasses:

Call Bret Hunter at www.sportsoptical.com

I have a nasty astigmatism plus horrible myopia plus age-related presbyopia...have never been able to find contacts that can successfully address all three conditions, much less be comfortable for a 6+ hour ride. Bret did some magic on a pair of Rudy Project Ketyons, and these are fabulous glasses that outperform every other prescription eyewear I've ever owned, regardless of whether or not they were sport-specific.

Not cheap. But worth every penny imho.
Old 05-14-12, 12:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bghill1
This is why I went with the inserts/adaptor. I am to blind and my cylinder numbers are in the +3 and + 5 range.
I looked into the inserts, but since I was going with a clear transition lense, it wasn't appealing, asthetically (when the lense was clear). My Rx was borderline, so it worked for me. Only (minor) downside is that the Rudy transition lense (Impact Rx) doesn't get quite as dark as the my regular sunglasses. Still, it works brilliantly for me. The coverage and eye protection is great, especially during higher speeds.
Old 05-14-12, 03:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a pair of Wiley-X glasses, not sure of the exact make. Insurance covered most of the cost; the out of pocket cost was about 100. I like that they are impact resistant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.