Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Comp 10s Triple FD: 9s chain compatible?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-12, 04:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I'm looking for information about using this Comp Triple FD with 9-speed drive train:
https://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/gro...LE_catid_8.jsp

Formerly, similar derailleurs were commonly marketed as "9/10 speed", but nowadays I don't see the "9" anymore... As I understand, the trick was to remove the plastic insert from the cage, to allow wider chain mowing flawlessly. On Campy's PDF from the page above, the insert is still noted - but actual picture on the site seems to be different.

Funny enough, the very same derailleur on eBay does have such a description:
Compatible with all Campagnolo 9 and 10 speed Triple setups
If anybody have actual experience on using that mech with 9-speed chain, I'd be very grateful for your opinions.

P.S. My setup is based on FSA 53-42-30 cranks & CN-7701 chain, frame 73° tube angle. And yes, I'm aware that violating the "Campy-only" rule is a blasphemy, but I'm trying to improve the situation!
Old 05-16-12, 04:51 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Something I'd be interested in knowing as well. Was considering using this FD in a Shimergo setup with a 10 spd Centaur shifters, an 8 spd RD/cassette, and a 9 speed chain because I'd read this cage was longer than the shimano road triple FD cages and that gave better leverage for shifting (apparently the Campy shifters don't like the pressure needed to shift the shorter shimano cage according to some people).

Old 05-16-12, 05:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
(apparently the Campy shifters don't like the pressure needed to shift the shorter shimano cage according to some people).
That's true, and is the main reason for me to replace FD-R443 with one more appropriate to my Mirage 9-speed Ergopowers. IMHO, the difficulty is caused not by cage lenght, but merely by different spring force and/or leverage ratio...
Old 05-16-12, 06:07 AM

Bikes: 2007 Nagasawa with C-Record, 1992 Duell with Croce D'aune/Chorus, three Gazelles, M5 recumbent

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I don't have experience with 9 speed, but I am using a 10 speed centaur triple FD with an 8 speed drive train. It works ithout any problems.
So with a 9 speed, you will have no problems.
Old 05-16-12, 06:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds quite optimistic; thanks! Do you able to use full cassette range without FD trimming / chain rubbing the cage?
Old 05-16-12, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by paulkal
I don't have experience with 9 speed, but I am using a 10 speed centaur triple FD with an 8 speed drive train. It works ithout any problems.
So with a 9 speed, you will have no problems.
That's great to know. I had an 8 speed chain laying around, but I specifically bought a 9 speed so that I wouldn't have to hunt one down later. Good to know I can use either.

Old 05-16-12, 08:12 AM
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
My Bianchi has a triple on the front and a 9 speed in the back. I occasionally need to trim the front, but that's usually only when making wide gear changes down the the smaller cogs. If I'm just moving between 2 or 3 gears, I don't usually need to touch the FD.
Old 05-16-12, 08:51 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by _Archie_
Formerly, similar derailleurs were commonly marketed as "9/10 speed", but nowadays I don't see the "9" anymore... As I understand, the trick was to remove the plastic insert from the cage, to allow wider chain mowing flawlessly. On Campy's PDF from the page above, the insert is still noted - but actual picture on the site seems to be different.
AFAIK, Campy triple front derailleurs, both 9 and 10-speed, didn't have that removable plastic insert, only the double front derailleurs did.

While this isn't exactly what you asked about, for many thousands of miles I used a:
9-speed Shimano triple crank
9-speed chain
9-speed Shimano cassette
9-speed Shimano triple rear derailleur
10-speed Campy Veloce triple front derailleur
10-speed Ergo brifters.

A Shiftmate made the rear shifting compatible and the front shifting was great.
Old 05-16-12, 09:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks HillRider, your input is essentially answered my question, as your system is quite close to mine (as far as FD is concerned). About insert, you seems to be right: Campy's PDF doesn't mention it to be specifically "double-only", but I also never seen it on triples.

My current RD is 105, but instead of putting Shiftmate I've just re-routed the cable "incorrectly" to match the ratios: it works absolutely flawlessly, so it will be the last Shimano thing I'll eliminate, except for the pedals.
Old 05-16-12, 09:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yo Spiff, would you mind to indicate exact model of your FD and chain brand? Thank you!