Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Building automatic transmission.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-12, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi! I live in Finland and the summer has just started around here. I love to just cruise around on sunny days on the dirt roads in my hometown. I was reading one blog and I saw one post about automatic gears in bicycle. The price was near 2000€. It would be just awesome to have something like that in my bike. I thought, that I could make the same system myself. I'm planning to use speedometer in the rear wheel connected to arduino board wich tells the gear changing system to change the gear. When the speed increases, system changes to upper gear. When the speed decreases, system changes to lower gear. I planned to use magnet and reed-switch for the speedometer. I found one old cordless drill and removed the motor from it. Maybe I could use it for changing the derrailleur position? For first I'm planning to make the rear gears only automatic. Any opinions?
Old 05-20-12, 05:47 AM

Bikes: 2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I believe there's been a couple of bikes with an automatic transmission. They do mechanically what you suggested doing electronically- use a system of flyweights attached to the rear wheel to move the derailleur as your speed increases. However, a true automatic transmission should take into account the rider's input torque as well as the speed. Ideally you could be cruising in a high gear at low rpm, then when you kick down hard the system should change to a lower gear. Without measuring the chain tension I don't see how you'd do this. Personally I think the best gear changing system is the human brain, especially if you only have a rear derailleur or hub gear.
Old 05-20-12, 05:51 AM
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Very few people would be happy riding a bike with automatic gear changes. This sounds like a massive project to undertake when you don't even know if you'll like the outcome. Good luck!
Old 05-20-12, 06:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well at least i'm going to try it. I also thought about making the system to calculate the gears from cranks, but I think it's easiest for now to do it with speedometer.
Old 05-20-12, 06:18 AM
Gluteus Enormus

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought Shimano had electronic automatic shifting on one of their IGH commuter/comfort type product lines. Computerized and programmable based on gear, speed and cadence.
Old 05-20-12, 06:19 AM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
it might be easier if you use an IGH like shimano nexus. Then you don't have to worry about shifting under torque load.
Old 05-20-12, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Although I have never ridden one, I would not undertake so much work . I have seen one older model, called an " Autobike ," for same as low as $50. I know you are in Finland, but surely you could find a used one, somewhere.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/bik/3001596282.html

Last edited by Esteban32696; 05-20-12 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-20-12, 07:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you could put pressure sensors in the pedals you could measure how hard one is pedaling. Combined with cadence measurement you could come up with a formula when to shift up or down (for comfort or performance).

Another idea: use tilt sensor to measure how steep it is.

Another ...use gps for recording your preferred gear.

The biggest issue is for the system to know when you want to accelerate, and which is more optimal: shift down or let the rider increase the output.

Overall, it seems like the project is most suitable for ARM based tablet or a phone than adruino.

Simpler system could take the input from pedaling backwards (or pause) for a clue when to shift.

Last edited by bbmike; 05-20-12 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-20-12, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3392 Post(s)
Liked 5,575 Times in 2,893 Posts
Generally, for such purposes, a stepper motor is used: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepper_motor
Old 05-20-12, 08:34 AM

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Pretty ambitious project... IMO if you're thinking of using a cordless drill motor, you should prolly keep brainstorming...

Also, if you're going to use a derailleur, you should definitely use one of those Shimano ones with the pinch bolt mounted on a sprung arm, so the system can shift to a bigger cog when you're not pedalling without trouble; that's one less hassle to deal with.

Originally Posted by Monster Pete
However, a true automatic transmission should take into account the rider's input torque as well as the speed. Ideally you could be cruising in a high gear at low rpm, then when you kick down hard the system should change to a lower gear.
Well, I guess you could just use a pot to tell the system your desired cadence. That'd make sense, IMO
Old 05-20-12, 10:22 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Fluid coupled auto trannys in cars have bigger motors..

there has been the use of a tandem crossover crankset to use a
rear wheel electric motor out of the wheel, it driving a left side chainring
which in turn powers a , say a continuously variable Nu vinci hub.

some engineering courses useful, and an extensive production shop.
Old 05-20-12, 10:47 AM
George Krpan

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Automatic shifting is a great idea. One day it will be perfected and even "serious" riders will use it.

We already have electronic shifting, Shimano Di2 for example. Torque sensors are already in use on electric bicycles. I think all that's left to do is a little software.
Old 05-20-12, 12:13 PM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1807 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 889 Posts
What might seem like ideal shift points when you are "fresh" WON'T when you are tired.
Old 05-20-12, 12:20 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5859 Post(s)
Liked 2,699 Times in 1,507 Posts
I think you should hold off for a while. As electronic shift systems come down in price, you'll have half the job done for you, since an electronic RD eliminates the need for you to build the electro/mechanical interface. Using an electronic derailleur means you only need a speed sensor and logic board.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-20-12, 12:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok. Maybe I'll just pass this project. Went too complicated for me. Maybe I make my cruiser project single speed then.
Old 05-20-12, 02:10 PM

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 339 Posts
Every few years somebody comes up with a new solution to "the shifting problem." Even Trek took a stab at it with their Limelite model in 2008.

What we keep coming back to is better shifting systems, even using levers and cables.
Old 05-20-12, 02:28 PM
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by GeoKrpan
Automatic shifting is a great idea. One day it will be perfected and even "serious" riders will use it.

We already have electronic shifting, Shimano Di2 for example. Torque sensors are already in use on electric bicycles. I think all that's left to do is a little software.
No computer will ever be able to tell me what gear I need to be in on my bicycle. I hate automatics in cars, but there at least the engine has a predictable and known power output.
Old 05-20-12, 05:16 PM
George Krpan

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FastJake
No computer will ever be able to tell me what gear I need to be in on my bicycle. I hate automatics in cars, but there at least the engine has a predictable and known power output.
The truth is that dual clutch automatic transmissions turn quicker lap times and get better mileage. It's way more fun to drive a stick, though, I would never buy an automatic.

A automated bike transmission could have several modes just like on cars.
Old 05-20-12, 05:31 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Liked 1,840 Times in 1,069 Posts
Originally Posted by megaboo
I was reading one blog and I saw one post about automatic gears in bicycle. The price was near 2000€. It would be just awesome to have something like that in my bike.
Here you go, off the shelf, and at somewhat less than 2000€, too. Or here, for more.

Last edited by tcs; 05-20-12 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-20-12, 05:34 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Liked 1,840 Times in 1,069 Posts
Originally Posted by mmmdonuts
I thought Shimano had electronic automatic shifting on one of their IGH commuter/comfort type product lines. Computerized and programmable based on gear, speed and cadence.
They've taken a shot at this a couple of times: Coasting, Auto-D, etc. Never really caught on.
Old 05-20-12, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake
No computer will ever be able to tell me what gear I need to be in on my bicycle.
This. Sometimes I want to be in a slightly "wrong" gear, either a bit high or low, so even if you offered me a free automatic transmission with no weight penalty, I would not want it.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 05-21-12 at 05:02 AM.
Old 05-21-12, 04:40 AM

Bikes: 2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The easiest way is to use a rear derailleur only or an IGH. Then it's stupidly simple- move the shifter one way for a lower gear, the other way for a higher gear. I think a lot of the confusion about gear shifting stems from the front derailleur.