Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

One cross wheels on a single speed Holdsworth Trike Conversion (Less torque issues?)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

One cross wheels on a single speed Holdsworth Trike Conversion (Less torque issues?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-12, 02:45 AM
Canadian Chick

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I am restoring a 50ish year old Holdsworth trike conversion. If you don't have any clue what it is, here is an idea...

Not my image, randomly found on interwebs, just to show what I am talking about.

I was thinking about spoking the rear wheels on this with a 1x pattern. Why would I do this? The issue is, the old proprietary pawled hubs are 32h and small flanged. I am on a tight budget. I have a lot of bikes, and a '90's MTB acted as a wheel donor, so I have some rims for very cheap. These rims happen to have a super low profile with an ERD of 574. I wanted white spokes on the rims, but the size needed is 280mm, and these are hard to find for cheap as they usually have to be custom cut.

Either I need to find rims with a smaller ERD or I could possibly lace these with a 1x pattern. Since the right and front wheel has no torque on it at all this should be ok.

The drive side is one long axle, with the left wheel on one end press-fit to the hub, and a cog in the middle. Is there less force on this drive wheel so I could use a 1x pattern or would it be no different than normal direct-to-hub torque?

Bottom line is, is a 1x pattern ok in this situation?
Old 05-21-12, 07:52 AM

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
I think you have you sizing information incorrect...

https://www.mrrabbit.net/wheelsbyflemingapplications.php

Grab the spreadsheet...

For the spokechart tab, input hole per side, crossings at the top, and rim diameter just below...play around with crossings see what you get for typical front flange hubs throughout the chart below - hubs with diameters of 36-40mm.

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 05-21-12, 08:03 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5790 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
There's nothing inherently better or worse about 1x wheels so if it's a Cinderella story and the spokes fit go ahead. However because the cross will be so close to the hub, you cannot interlace the spokes inner over outer as you normally would with 3x.

There's another alternative that may also help. If you have 2 lengths handy which average the correct length, each being a few millimeters over or under, you can lace the wheel with all the longer spokes pulling, and the shorter ones "pushing". This puts a slight twist on the hub with respect to the rim, but if you stay within a few millimeters won't cause any issue in the wheel.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-21-12, 08:09 AM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
I would love to get one of these or an actual racing trike. More Pics Please

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-21-12, 08:41 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5790 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
for a Binachi conversion?

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-21-12, 09:51 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I'd spoke the 1 driven wheel 3 cross, for torque windup, the other 2 wheels
would probably be fine 1X.

the 32 little short 1X spokes on my R-off Bike Friday got laced over each other .

only brakes you have are on the front wheels.. make them good ones ..

I've seen them setup with 2 brakes on the 1 wheel.

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-21-12 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-21-12, 12:01 PM

As I've already stated, the OPs sizing information is wrong...hence my earlier suggestion to fiddle with a calculation tool. Also for the OP, custom cut straight guage stainless steel spokes can be had for as little as .34 apiece online before shipping.

=8-)

Disclaimer:

4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 05-21-12, 01:27 PM

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Having trued many 2-cross rear wheels on Fuji Newest 3.0s, I have to say that with low flange hubs, box section rims, and standard j-headed spokes, anything less than 3-cross, especially in the back, makes a pretty unstable wheel. Buy spokes and do it right.
Old 05-21-12, 02:16 PM
Canadian Chick

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Oh in case anyone is wondering why I need new rims, the old ones were chrome and not too bad rust-wise on the outside, but on the inside they must have had water sitting in them for years, the corrosion is severe, the rust has eaten through the wall in some places.

And in case anyone is wondering why I am going so cheap, it's because I am doing this for someone who knows pretty much nothing about bikes. He thought this kit was just an old trike, and is planning to give it to someone as a present. Problem is he has a spending limit so I am trying to oblige while still giving him what he wants. I should perhaps explain again that these things are desirable.

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I will for sure once it is complete, right now it is waiting to be clear coated. The person I am doing this for is not big on racing bikes . If it were mine I would be going in a different direction.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
I'd spoke the 1 driven wheel 3 cross, for torque windup, the other 2 wheels
would probably be fine 1X.

the 32 little short 1X spokes on my R-off Bike Friday got laced over each other .

only brakes you have are on the front wheels.. make them good ones ..

I've seen them setup with 2 brakes on the 1 wheel.
Yea I was considering a double brake set-up.

Originally Posted by mrrabbit
As I've already stated, the OPs sizing information is wrong...hence my earlier suggestion to fiddle with a calculation tool. Also for the OP, custom cut straight guage stainless steel spokes can be had for as little as .34 apiece online before shipping.

=8-)
I think you have you sizing information incorrect...

https://www.mrrabbit.net/wheelsbyflemingapplications.php

Grab the spreadsheet...

For the spokechart tab, input hole per side, crossings at the top, and rim diameter just below...play around with crossings see what you get for typical front flange hubs throughout the chart below - hubs with diameters of 36-40mm.

=8-)
I use EDD. The hubs have very small centre to right and left, so with a rim with an ERD of 574 the spokes need to be 279mm. I will certainly take your advice and remeasure, but the hubs are nearly flat. Anyways I have plenty of 260-ishmm spokes I can experiment with to see if I am wrong.

I also realise I can get cheap silver SS spokes, but I want white or blue. Option #2 is painting the spokes.
Old 05-21-12, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Aquakitty
Oh in case anyone is wondering why I need new rims, the old ones were chrome and not too bad rust-wise on the outside, but on the inside they must have had water sitting in them for years, the corrosion is severe, the rust has eaten through the wall in some places.

And in case anyone is wondering why I am going so cheap, it's because I am doing this for someone who knows pretty much nothing about bikes. He thought this kit was just an old trike, and is planning to give it to someone as a present. Problem is he has a spending limit so I am trying to oblige while still giving him what he wants. I should perhaps explain again that these things are desirable.

I will for sure once it is complete, right now it is waiting to be clear coated. The person I am doing this for is not big on racing bikes . If it were mine I would be going in a different direction.

Yea I was considering a double brake set-up.

I use EDD. The hubs have very small centre to right and left, so with a rim with an ERD of 574 the spokes need to be 279mm. I will certainly take your advice and remeasure, but the hubs are nearly flat. Anyways I have plenty of 260-ishmm spokes I can experiment with to see if I am wrong.

I also realise I can get cheap silver SS spokes, but I want white or blue. Option #2 is painting the spokes.
In your original post, you gave no indication of the length of spokes you currently have.

Also, call Bicycle Express of San Jose, CA. See what they'll quote you on powder coat white, red, blue, pink, orange, green, or yellow 14g spokes cut to length.

408-998-1618

=8-)

Disclaimer:

Old 05-21-12, 07:09 PM
Canadian Chick

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
In your original post, you gave no indication of the length of spokes you currently have.

Also, call Bicycle Express of San Jose, CA. See what they'll quote you on powder coat white, red, blue, pink, orange, green, or yellow 14g spokes cut to length.

408-998-1618

=8-)
Cool thanks will check it out.