Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Let's talk gloves

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-12, 11:59 AM
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's talk gloves

Sunday Jethro made it to the big city of Indy. After a nice 13 mile ride with CraigB, we went LBSing as I am looking for a better dropbar to my Cross Check. I want a 46 cm center to center so I didn't expect to find any and was looking mostly at how they were designed. In the second LBS we went to I found the bar I'd considered ordering online a FSA Glossamer 46 cm. I'd call it a 45 so the trip was worth it In that I won't be ordering one now.

Another problem area I have ordering online is gloves. I've never met anyone with larger hands and after a couple poor buys I'd found Serfas gloves that fit although @ $10 They aren't very good but they've held up well. The LBS had 3 styles that I could get my hands in and I ended up buying a pair of Louis Garneau Mondo Gloves for $39.99 plus tax. https://www.louisgarneau.com/us-en/pr...N_MONDO_GLOVES

Although I wouldn't say they're perfect they are quite a bit better than what I had. Any tingling in a two hour ride was contained to my finger tips and a quick 2 second shake of my hand eliminated that. I did ride 1 1/2 hours before any discomfort and most likely the real problem was fatigue setting in.

So what do you people wear?
Old 05-21-12, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I don't wear gloves in the summer.
Old 05-21-12, 12:21 PM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I'm currently using some specialized BG gloves that are supposed to combat hand numbness... I also have some gel under the bar tape and heck, I get numb hands all the time. Riding in the drops sometimes helps, but I don't really enjoy that, and sitting up and riding with hands off the bar helps, or a quick break. Nothing that's going to stop me from riding but if you find something that fixed hand numbness better than anything else I'm all ears.
Old 05-21-12, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,518 Times in 2,860 Posts
I just saw these in a bin at Home Depot last week, and picked up a pack.
They are *perfect* for summer cycling.
They have a bit of thin, firm padding in the palm, and across the knuckles.
https://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Ga...&storeId=10051
Old 05-21-12, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I'm currently using some specialized BG gloves that are supposed to combat hand numbness... I also have some gel under the bar tape and heck, I get numb hands all the time. Riding in the drops sometimes helps, but I don't really enjoy that, and sitting up and riding with hands off the bar helps, or a quick break. Nothing that's going to stop me from riding but if you find something that fixed hand numbness better than anything else I'm all ears.
As long as you never ever let the 41 find out, you might benefit from a set of aerobars, which will give you a new position, and take the weight off your hands, shifting it to your elbows.
Old 05-21-12, 12:56 PM
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
I usually wear an XL glove, and recently tried on a pair of Spenco Classic gloved at one of my local shops. They were too big for me and I actually need the L, which was not in stock. So I believe the Spenco's are sized on the larger side and might suit you.

I've also used the Specialized Body Geometry gloves and the older ones I have are nicely designed and padded in the right places.
Old 05-21-12, 02:03 PM

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I have really big hands too and I just wear "mechanix" brand gloves, they're like $15, available everywhere and one of the few gloves cut for my big mitts. Haven't ever missed the padding.

I have a pair of insulated Garneau gloves in XL which fit pretty good too.

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 05-21-12, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
jethro: I am in the same boat as you bro.
Old 05-21-12, 02:44 PM
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
As long as you never ever let the 41 find out, you might benefit from a set of aerobars, which will give you a new position, and take the weight off your hands, shifting it to your elbows.
I've thought about that! I do a lot of solo riding, I'm sure it would provide a noticeable benefit.

If this guy can do it and still be cool maybe I can get away with it. That's pretty much my dream bike right there. Those are profile design Tmag aerobars (they're much lower than many of the clamp on style)

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post14148858

If I ever came across one of those hard core 41 guys on the road, they'd be so busy critiquing everything else about me they'd hardly have time to notice aerobars.
Old 05-21-12, 03:09 PM

That's a nice-looking bike!!

I had a set of aerobars on my CX bike. Somebody asked me in a group ride "So, you doing a lot of time trials lately?" I told him they gave me another hand position on long rides, then he told me about someone he knew who also used aerobars on long rides ... and then we started talking about the best places to go for long rides.

They weren't a magic bullet for me, but they helped a bit to put my shoulder soreness off.
Old 05-21-12, 03:28 PM
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
As long as you never ever let the 41 find out, you might benefit from a set of aerobars,
LOL. That's funny....and sad. And so true!

I had a set of aerobars on my CX bike.
And they still let you in the 41? Or are you keeping secrets?
Old 05-21-12, 03:31 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I don't wear gloves in the summer.
... on both days?

I put on gloves to keep my hands warm.
though I do have some Spenco Iron Man 3/4 fingerless ones ..
very good palm pad stuff. ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-21-12 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-21-12, 03:40 PM
old and in the way

Bikes: Niner RLT, Niner rigid MTB, Salsa Beargrease, Rocky Mountain Element

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe check with your LBS on a "quick" bike fit. Many times numbness can be related to saddle position or bar height.
Old 05-21-12, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
And they still let you in the 41? Or are you keeping secrets?
Oh, I haven't mentioned it over there. I was going to bring it up once, but pCad was talking to himself for about 15 pages, and by the time I could get a word in, I forgot what I was going to say.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
... on both days?
Since you're from Oregon, I can only assume that you know how gorgeous this spring has been, but that you, like me, have been sworn to secrecy about beautiful Pacific Northwest weather. When I moved to town, I had to sign a contract about how I'd drink at least four cups a day of coffee, and never, ever let anyone find out that the sun shines here. It said if anybody ever asks me about the PNW, I'm supposed to answer "You wouldn't like it here."
Old 05-21-12, 04:18 PM
Plays well with others

Bikes: Specialized CRUX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not a big fan of gloves. I use 'em in the winter but cant stand them any other time. Over time and with the help and guidence of my LBS I have finally found Lizard Skins bar tape. This stuff rocks. Real cushy, and almost on the verge of sticky. I have yet to ever feel like im going to loose my grip. Sweaty hands have no effect on it.
Old 05-21-12, 04:31 PM
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Oh, I haven't mentioned it over there. I was going to bring it up once, but pCad was talking to himself for about 15 pages, and by the time I could get a word in, I forgot what I was going to say.
Now THAT is funny right there!
Old 05-21-12, 04:47 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Home Depot, Lowe's and Sears all have a good lineup of "Padded Work Gloves" like the mechanix pictured above. The prices are reasonable and have a variety of padding. You can get the Jack Hammer operators glove if yo like cushion. I have been cutting back on padding and surprised on not missing it. A poster once cautioned in a similar thread that the construction gloves don't protect the nerves like a true bike glove. In 3 years I haven't noticed a problem. But it could be a real concern.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 05-21-12, 04:57 PM
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by grueling
Maybe check with your LBS on a "quick" bike fit. Many times numbness can be related to saddle position or bar height.
If you're talking to me I've been messing with saddles, saddle height, bar height etc and while other things get better or worse, hand numbness remains the same. I plan on getting a real live pro fit some time in July when I have skinnied up a bit more.
Old 05-21-12, 06:28 PM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
This probably will just be an irritant to those of you having trouble finding big enough gloves, but I found that buying one size too big in the no finger gloves made them a lot more comfortable. Before the little short fingers would bug me after a number of miles. I think my hands might swell a bit after riding while.
Old 05-21-12, 07:58 PM
Getting older and slower!

Bikes: Trek Domane 6 series Project One, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Trek XO1, Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I recommend cycling specific fingerless gloves, with padding placed specifically where it helps minimizes numb fingers. They also help with protecting your palms if you go down (I know you aren't supposed to break your fall with your hand, so as to prevent breaking your collarbone, but everyone instinctly seems to). And lastly, the back of the glove gives me something to wipe the sweat off my face while riding.
Old 05-21-12, 08:51 PM

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm using XXL Specialized BG's and they don't seem to be very durable. Next up will be some Pearl Izumi's in an XXL if I can find them for a decent price.
Old 05-21-12, 11:19 PM

Bikes: 2009 Rocky Mountain RC30 D

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wear inexpensive finger less gloves (~$12). Granted they don't have the padding etc. of more expensive ones, but, I've never really needed the padding, I guess.

I wear them mostly to protect the hands in case of a spill.
Old 05-21-12, 11:43 PM

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
In reality just about any glove will do - I say this because of the difficulty I have had treating patients with road rash on their hands...
Old 05-22-12, 05:35 AM

Bikes: 197x?? Raleigh rescued from scrap metal; Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear mechanix gloves too, they work well enough and I can wash them with the laundry when they smell too bad.

What I dont understand are fingerless gloves, if you go down in those, you will hurt your fingers even your palm is covered.
Old 05-22-12, 06:28 AM
Getting older and slower!

Bikes: Trek Domane 6 series Project One, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Trek XO1, Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scrapmetal
I wear mechanix gloves too, they work well enough and I can wash them with the laundry when they smell too bad.

What I dont understand are fingerless gloves, if you go down in those, you will hurt your fingers even your palm is covered.

The fingerless glove lets you do the fine motor things with your hands you need to do while riding, like open a Clif Bar or unzipping/zipping your jersey.

I wash my gloves after every ride. Good ones last.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.