Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

These bikes for a4 week tour??

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-12, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, me and a friend are planning a tour of the Pacific Coast. It will be for about 4 weeks and involve camping and motels. Travelling as light as we can but still bringing a tent and the other necessaries for that...

We need bikes on a budget really and are considering the below modesl which are really the top of our budget I'm afraid. As we are not cyclists any feedback appreciated!

We are in the UK as well, so any other suggestions welcome, but ideally in the same price bracket and from the uk... obviously looking something within budget that will take panniers, mudguards etc.

https://www.bikedock.com/index.php?pa...mid=1#fulldesc

https://www.merida-bikes.com/en_gb/bi...ss+/Speeder+T2

Thanks a lot!
Old 05-26-12, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
How expensive will it be to get the bikes to the US? If too much it might make sense to buy here.

I met a guy from Japan who was riding the Pacific Coast. He bought most of his stuff here, bike included. It looked like most of it was very low end stuff maybe from Walmart or similar. I'd guess he had $500 in the lot of it. I suspect he was planning to leave it here when he flew home. He seemed to be doing fine and having fun.
Old 05-26-12, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting point I hadn't considered! Although we probably want to buy bikes here anyway to train on for the trip in September... Ummm... Buying out there would save a WHOLE lot of hassle tho!"

The cost of getting it too the US is still a confusing one and depends on the airline and we haven't booked yet. It'll be best airline versus the bike cost issue I guess.... The last time I took a bike to the US with Continental we could fly it out for free, but strangely, the same airline charged us, I think $50-100 to fly the bike home!! It's a frustrating experience and seems to differ with airports and not just airlines...