Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

No Arthritis, pain caused by trochanteric bursitis

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-29-12, 01:48 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

I've been having increased hip pain under weight stress lately, and was very worried about arthritis, as my brother-in-law - two years younger - just had his hip relpaced from arthritis.

So - a doc visit and 3 x-rays showed just a little tiny arthritis and the statement by the doc that "You will never have to have a hip replacement."

I am going to have PT and the outlook is positive.

Bicycling never caused any pain, but walking upstairs carrying a load - WOW - does that hurt.

About 30 years ago I was diagnosed - after lifting a heavy rock incorrectly - with acute bursitis, and it has bothered me on and off ever since. However, it has really flared up lately, hence the MD visit. Acute bursitis is EXTREMELY painful.

Anyone else?

Here is a Wikipedia on trochanteric bursitis:

================================================================================

Greater trochanteric pain syndrome (GTPS), also known as trochanteric bursitis, is inflammation of the trochanteric bursa, a part of the hip.

This bursa is situated adjacent to the femur, between the insertion of the gluteus medius and gluteus minimus muscles into the greater trochanter of the femur and the femoral shaft. It has the function, in common with other bursae, of working as a shock absorber and as a lubricant for the movement of the muscles adjacent to it.

Occasionally, this bursa can become inflamed and clinically painful and tender. This condition can be a manifestation of rheumatoid arthritis or of an injury (often resulting from a twisting motion or from overuse), but sometimes arises for no obviously definable cause. The symptoms are pain in the hip region on walking, and tenderness over the upper part of the femur, which may result in the inability to lie in comfort on the affected side.

More often the lateral hip pain is caused by disease of the gluteal tendons which secondarily inflames the bursa. This is most common in middle-aged women and is associated with a chronic and debilitating pain which does not respond to conservative treatment. Other causes of trochanteric bursitis include uneven leg length, iliotibial band syndrome, and weakness of the hip abductor muscles.[1]

Greater trochanteric pain syndrome can remain incorrectly diagnosed for years, because it shares the same pattern of pain with many other musculoskeletal conditions. Thus people with this condition may be labeled malingerers, or may undergo many ineffective treatments due to misdiagnosis.[2] It may also coexist with low back pain, arthritis, and obesity.[3]

Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-29-12 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-29-12, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Not in the hips, but the bursa in both shoulders from injuries. When it flares up, I can barely move my arms above waist height without serious pain. I've learned to avoid those things that can lead to flare ups. In terms of cycling, it took we a while to learn that 44mm handlebars (measured center to center) is wide enough to trigger a flare up when on a ride over 2 hours. However, 44mm outside to outside is not a problem.... a very small difference with very big impact. Normally, I've been told, it is particular motion/activities that tends to cause flare ups. If you can isolate it and learn to moderate your activities/motions, you can often avoid the acute flare ups. Knock on wood; I've been without an acute flare up for several years now.