Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ridden the Sunrise Boulder Century?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-12, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

In a fit of insanity I signed up for this last night, and now I'm thinking Oh my God, what have I done?!? Has anyone ridden the 75 or 100 mile routes or know about them? I'm wondering what the elevation grade is. I can see the average, but I'd like to know more detail, since the average often "hides" reality. I'd like to do the 100 mile, but being a mere mortal, I think the 75 mile is probably a better option. The 75 mile has 4,882 feet elevation gain, the 100 mile has 6,572. I just did the Santa Fe Century that has 4,400 feet of elevation gain, so the 75 mile Boulder ride may not kill me, depending on those grades. Does anyone know the route?

Thanks!
Tabriz
Old 05-31-12, 10:21 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Sounds like a great event.

Have you been on longer rides this year? Any rides longer than 50 miles?

If not, target the shorter ride. 6600 ft is a lot of climbing under a June sun.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 05-31-12, 11:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Sounds like a great event.

Have you been on longer rides this year? Any rides longer than 50 miles?

If not, target the shorter ride. 6600 ft is a lot of climbing under a June sun.
Yes, I did the Santa Fe Century 2 weeks ago.

Tabriz
Old 05-31-12, 10:22 PM

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
Boulder Sunrise Century meanders from northeast Boulder to Hygiene (flat), climbs gradually to Lyons (into prevailing winds, too), climbs (steeply) up Colo. 7 to the Peak-to-Peak HIghway near Allenspark, and turns south on Peak-to-Peak to Ward (mostly uphill with some steep pitches). The 75-mile ride then dives down Lefthand Canyon to Colo. 36, goes north for a couple miles, heads east on Nelson Rd., and meanders back to the starting point (rolling terrain).

If you do the 100, you proceed straight through Ward to Nederland (mostly downhill but with some steep uphill pitches), U-turn at the aid station, return to Ward, and proceed to finish as on the shorter ride. Elevation gain for the 75 is 5500', 7000' for the 100 miler. Here's the map and profile: https://bikerpelli.com/boulder-sunris...ry-course.html. Ward is at 48 miles and (for the 100) 72 miles. Nederland (for the 100) is at 60 miles. The first five miles down Lefthand Canyon can be frightening to flatlanders, but it's all fun from there, until the short slog back to Nelson Rd.
Old 06-03-12, 06:19 PM

Bikes: Raleigh SC30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say oldbobcat sums it up pretty well. I would say if you did the 75 mile route, that Colorado 7 is your hardest point. I have ridden it & it's just a steady uphill all the way.
If you have done centuries & really want to do this one I don't think it's something you couldn't do. Once you are out of the foothills the rest of the ride would be pretty simple.
Old 06-04-12, 08:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, right now I'm thinking the 75 mile route. I did poke around online, it appears that most of the uphill is 4-5%, maybe with a few short sections that are steeper?