Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Tell me about your handlebar tape.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-12, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

It may be one of the most unappreciated parts of your bike, but lately it's been the unresolved bit with my overall riding experience. I noted one of my bikes needed some new tape. So, I picked up some at REI. After riding with it for two days, I realized I was not happy with it. So, I next get some Bontrager tape. Same thing…. a few days later I’m not happy with it. It just doesn’t feel right. OK, so today I put on some Cinelli cork tape, and it doesn’t feel right. I’m starting to wonder what’s going on. What is your favorite tape and why?
Old 06-01-12, 08:33 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Can you be more specific about what feels wrong about it? Too hard? Too soft? Not grippy enough? I assume that color is not the issue. Have you considered gels under the tape? I prefer bars wrapped thick and nearly sofa pillow soft, but that's just me.

My current favorite is Deda... soft, thick and nice color selection... or Fizik soft touch.. thinner, but nice textures and contrasting inbeded logos in some. Shown below is the Deda in a navy blue color... though the pic makes it look brighter than it is. There is a nice Deda maroon tape too.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1030342b.jpg (95.0 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by billydonn; 06-01-12 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-01-12, 08:35 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Cinelli

Attached Images

Old 06-01-12, 08:35 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
The Specialized and the Cannondale corks are my favorites NOS. they have a nice feel to them, not squishy but firm with good grip for my large hands to hold on to. They both allow me to use a light grip that does not tire or load my forearms. For all I know they are made ny the same company, they seem very similar and I'd be happy with either depending on stock at my LBS.

I tried Cinelli on my R500 and I didn't like it at all. it seemed flimsy to me. Best of luck in deciding on and finding a good bar wrap.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-01-12, 09:15 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn
Can you be more specific about what feels wrong about it? Too hard? Too soft? Not grippy enough? I assume that color is not the issue. Have you considered gels under the tape? I prefer bars wrapped thick and nearly sofa pillow soft, but that's just me.

My current favorite is Deda... soft, thick and nice color selection... or Fizik soft touch.. thinner, but nice textures and contrasting inbeded logos in some. Shown below is the Deda in a navy blue color... though the pic makes it look brighter than it is. There is a nice Deda maroon tape too.

Sure they feel thinner. I was using Bontrager, but they seem to have changed their gel tapes. It doesn't seem the same. The REI tape just feel thin and rough. The Cinelli feels thinner than all of them.
Old 06-01-12, 09:23 PM

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had Specialized Gel tape and was quite happy with it. I needed to replace it after retrofitting my Ultegra 6700 shifters to Ultegra Di2. George recommended Lizard Skins. He did a fantastic job wrapping my bars. I bought some new fizik gel, but we didn't use it. I really like the Lizard Skins. I even purchased red and black tape. I love the way it looks. The Lizard Skins is comfortable even without the gel that I had become accustomed to.
Old 06-01-12, 09:25 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Sure they feel thinner. I was using Bontrager, but they seem to have changed their gel tapes. It doesn't seem the same. The REI tape just feel thin and rough. The Cinelli feels thinner than all of them.
I wear gloves and ride with a light touch on the bars.

Old 06-01-12, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
I tried pretty much all. My favorites used to be Deda and Fizik. For a long time before it used to be Cinelli. But recently I tried Zipp. It's by far the best. It cushions better that Deda or Cinelli cork but also stretchs when you put it so so it's not really thick and has better grip than Fizik.
Old 06-01-12, 09:36 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gtragitt
I had Specialized Gel tape and was quite happy with it. I needed to replace it after retrofitting my Ultegra 6700 shifters to Ultegra Di2. George recommended Lizard Skins. He did a fantastic job wrapping my bars. I bought some new fizik gel, but we didn't use it. I really like the Lizard Skins. I even purchased red and black tape. I love the way it looks. The Lizard Skins is comfortable even without the gel that I had become accustomed to.
+1 to Lizard Skins. I should have mentioned that. I have the black/white combo on one bike and it rocks... I still used gels but that's just me. It's also the grippiest stuff going. I like it a lot.
Old 06-01-12, 11:22 PM

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
I love screwing around with my bar tape. My commuter has this Rasta splash pattern made by Salsa. Several years ago I bought and used up several rolls of a black tape with a white desert and cycling motif (cacti,cogs, wheels, cow skulls, lizards, etc.), marketed by Scott. It felt rough but it was durable and started a lot of conversations. Bontrager is too spongy, and I hate gel--don't need it, really. I'm into LizardSkins now--durable as anything, washable, and the texture is addictive.
Old 06-01-12, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I've always used cloth tape. My wife prefers a bit of pipe insulation under hers on the tandem, but still cloth. I actually prefer it when it gets old enough that I have wrapped a third layer over it.
Old 06-01-12, 11:37 PM

Bikes: 2009 Rocky Mountain RC30 D

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Leather is my favourite bar tape, however, it's pricey.

I also have found Bontrager gel cork tape pretty good, although personally I haven't seen a lot of difference from one brand to the other over the years. It may just be me.
Old 06-02-12, 12:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The last couple times I used Fizik Microtex and had no complaints. However, I'm going to give Naubaum cloth tape a try next. I just received two rolls for $10 in the mail today. I hate to admit it but my decision to switch is based mostly on color.
Old 06-02-12, 12:53 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Bar tape and previous bikes have always had a proprietary tape supplied with them. Never thought anything about it but it was black and covered the bars. Last bike I got and the tape supplied was "White". Built up the bike and the last job to do was tape the bars. Forgot to go to the shop and get black tape so used the Tape supplied and it was Pinarrelo branded tape. Looked at it and it was a bit thicker than I had previously used-might be a reason for that. It may be white and it may be grubby but that tape is the best I have had on a bike so far. Bit thicker than the usual I have previously used and haven't bothered changing it yet.----But it is no longer grubby- it is dirty.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-02-12, 03:18 AM
NewKidInTown

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I noted one of my bikes needed some new tape.
Is there any way you can contact the manufacturer to find out which make of tape was supplied originally? Can your LBS not make an educated guess?

Plan B - how about changing your gloves . . . :o)
Old 06-02-12, 04:09 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fizik dual. it is a strip of black and then a strip of another color (your choice) overlapped %50 and then sewn together the long way. when you wrap it, its easy to keep it nice and straight because there is stitch down the middle and you bars end up with a double layer all around. you can flip it over and have solid black or white
Attached Images
16.JPG (91.4 KB, 48 views)
SAM_0399.jpg (90.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 06-02-12, 04:13 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I had a bar tape that I used exclusively and liked. It was Sette ultralight tape and it is no longer sold under that brand name. I'll describe it because it may be available under different names.

It was the tape that hade holes in it with a double row of stiching down the center. It sometimes comes in two colors on each side of the stiching. I liked it because it reminded me of the tape that we used to use on tennis racquets. It has a grippy feel without being sticky. It works when wet. It's soft without being thick. It had an adhesive backing which I liked but some may not.

Very similar to the post just above I think but with adhesive.
Old 06-02-12, 05:22 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Fizik microtex, used to use Cinelli. I really like the Fizik.
Old 06-02-12, 05:37 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I replaced the OEM Colnago white tape with some Zipp tape and really noticed a difference in the way it grips and cushions. The tape is washable and being white, the dirt comes off real easy. However, any bleeding from the dye on your gloves remains on the tape. I'm thinking of changing saddles, so when I do, I'll change the saddle and tape colors to match.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 06-02-12, 08:32 AM
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Don't use the stuff. Have no need of it.
Old 06-02-12, 08:38 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I love the gel (though not much in there except one little strip) padded, cork-like stuff. The feel of something grippy and padded under the gloves is just nice.

The brand/company doesnt matter so much as long as it's black and not thin.
Old 06-02-12, 09:57 AM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I like Easton as it's long enough and it feels good and it come in a yellow that matches my bike. I also have bar phat under it and I'm really comfortable on it. Unfortunately I had a box of Nashbar yellow (too pale and too short) available so I used it. It's "OK" but not my fav. I also gotta undo and redo the right side. I goofed a bit and it's driving me crazy.
Old 06-02-12, 10:22 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Oh oh! We may have found another "chain lube" topic - better suited for the Politics and Religion board. If you decide to post that question in the Road forum, you might want to blanket your computer monitor with a kevlar blanket.

I used nothing but unpadded Cinelli cork for ages. Wet or dry, it was never slippery and always felt good to me. Then, the last time that I reworked my Klein I chose Deda because I couldn't get Cinelli in gray. I liked the Deda just fine too.

Since I started riding recumbents I haven't wrapped a handlebar. I have some pricy but ultra-cool leather handgrips on my recumbent. If I ever rework my old "retro grouch" road bike again, I think it might get Brooks leather handlebar wrap as well.
Old 06-02-12, 10:42 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Nuevo Alloro, Cannondale ST400, Fuji Palisade, GT Timberline FS, Raleigh Technium 420, Schwinn Moab, Schwinn Passage, Schwinn Tempo, Specialized Sirrus Elite (aluminum), Specialized Sirrus Triple (steel), Trek 7.6, Viner Road Record

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 19 Posts
Most often, it's BELL Black from Wally World.
Sometimes, it's a case of "Who has the color I'm looking for."
And then there's the Hockey tape method.
Old 06-02-12, 05:16 PM

Bikes: Dreesens, Colnago clx 3.0, Trek X-Caliber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brooks leather..really looks good, cleans easily, and last forever..or close anyway..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.