Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1986 Trek Tri series 500

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-12, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1986 Trek Tri series 500

https://images.craigslist.org/5N55Lb5...760f981a7e.jpg
https://images.craigslist.org/5E35Kf5...f686bd120a.jpg
https://images.craigslist.org/5E65Kd5...3ae83d1dd3.jpg
https://images.craigslist.org/5G55Fd5...fce9051533.jpg

Hey guys, can you guys tell me what this bike is worth? Seller lists for $160. I THINK it's a reynolds 531 frame and the original components were shimano 600's which are supposed to be indicative of a higher end bike.
Thanks,
-Vince

Last edited by mynamevincenttt; 06-02-12 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-02-12, 08:50 PM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
It looks like it may need a good cleaning and tune up but if that was my size (59) and close i would have in the house already.

I really like these frames, there is alot of great craftsmanship in them.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 06-02-12, 09:51 PM

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 27 Posts
What BG said. I would buy it without hesitation if it doesn't have any major problem.
Old 06-02-12, 10:34 PM
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
+1 buy it if it's in sound condition. I see a 531 sticker.
Old 06-03-12, 12:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
damn got swiped. Thanks for the info, but the search goes on!
Old 06-03-12, 07:27 AM

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by mynamevincenttt
If you spend any time in this area of BF you will know that by the time you type the words, "is this a good deal?" the bike has been sold to the first responder. Where I live that is usually in 15 minutes. There are plenty of people that spend time looking for deals to flip so you have to be ready to drop what you are doing and go.

Most any vintage steel framed Trek especially with a 531 frame will go for $200 and up. Get educated about what makes a desirable/quality bicycle so you can pounce on the deal in your size when it comes along.
Old 06-03-12, 08:44 AM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by mynamevincenttt
Let me repeat my advice, the good deals do not last long enough to get an answer to: "Hey, is this one a good deal?" The outstanding deals around here last ten to fifteen minutes. Good deals might last an hour. I got beat out on a recent deal by another forum member. I contacted the seller 30 minutes after his posting (hey, I was out riding). And the bikes were in the middle of nowhere, with a lousy description, etc. Gone....

So how do you compete for the good/great deals? Get educated up front, it really does not take long. And then POUNCE on a deal lightning fast. If the seller has phone contact, call immediately, and go get it. Do not wait until it is convenient. Chances are, if it is a deal, the seller will be bombarded with responses in short order, realize their price is too low, and either pull the ad, or more likely raise the price. I picked up a full Dura Ace, Merlin Titanium frame bike this way. I got there within 15 minutes of his ad, and his phone was ringing off the hook.

And if the seller does not list a phone number, keep your email response simple, something like: "I would like to buy your Trek bike. It looks great. I can come now. Here is my phone number." On deals, the emailers that ask for more pictures, sizing information, can you wait til tomorrow, etc., go to the BOTTOM of the list.
Old 06-03-12, 07:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Let me repeat my advice, the good deals do not last long enough to get an answer to: "Hey, is this one a good deal?" The outstanding deals around here last ten to fifteen minutes. Good deals might last an hour. I got beat out on a recent deal by another forum member. I contacted the seller 30 minutes after his posting (hey, I was out riding). And the bikes were in the middle of nowhere, with a lousy description, etc. Gone....

So how do you compete for the good/great deals? Get educated up front, it really does not take long. And then POUNCE on a deal lightning fast. If the seller has phone contact, call immediately, and go get it. Do not wait until it is convenient. Chances are, if it is a deal, the seller will be bombarded with responses in short order, realize their price is too low, and either pull the ad, or more likely raise the price. I picked up a full Dura Ace, Merlin Titanium frame bike this way. I got there within 15 minutes of his ad, and his phone was ringing off the hook.

And if the seller does not list a phone number, keep your email response simple, something like: "I would like to buy your Trek bike. It looks great. I can come now. Here is my phone number." On deals, the emailers that ask for more pictures, sizing information, can you wait til tomorrow, etc., go to the BOTTOM of the list.
Haha yeah I had a feeling about this one. I called right when I saw it but someone already beat me to the punch Seller told me to call back later in case it doesn't sell, of course it sold =\
I appreciate the help!
-Vince
Old 06-03-12, 08:41 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Had a good one tonight. I posted a nice work stand, at a reasonable price. Emailer #1 wanted to trade me a watch for it. Emailer #2 wanted to meet after dinner tomorrow night. Emailer #3 wants to meet first thing in the AM.

Guess who got contacted first?

To below, just for laughs, I looked the watch up on Amazon, it sells NEW for half of what I am asking for the stand.... Of course, personally, I never spend more than $15 on a watch, as I destroy them.

Last edited by wrk101; 06-04-12 at 05:46 AM.
Old 06-03-12, 09:13 PM
This bike is cat approved

Bikes: To many to list...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Had a good one tonight. I posted a nice work stand, at a reasonable price. Emailer #1 wanted to trade me a watch for it. Emailer #2 wanted to meet after dinner tomorrow night. Emailer #3 wants to meet first thing in the AM.

Guess who got contacted first?
So what was the watch? j/k
Old 06-03-12, 11:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by monsterpile
So what was the watch? j/k
I would've gone for the watch