Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cheap winter trash it type of bikes with no suspension

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-05, 02:00 PM
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

does such a thing exist? I'm looking for < $500 US with clearance/frame mounts for fenders, studded tires (26x2+ or 700-38+) and fenders and a rack mount. Gearing isn't that crucial since there are few hills. I only plan to ride this as an ice-bike on roads that are semi-cleared. I've started looking but all I find are $700 bikes (CD Bad boy etc.) or kids bikes. Where did all the cheap adult bikes go? (they all seem to have a fork suspension, which I hate.
Old 01-07-05, 02:19 PM
Luggite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant Cypress SX (below) last years model should be $500 or less. Seems like Perf had them for $449. Specialized Cirrus models go below $500. Raliegh, Kona, Trek 7X00 series, Jamis Coda, (Felt too I think) all have bikes that will work. I wouldn't call them trash though. They're great for what you want to do, and usually have pretty good components on them due to the savings of not having to add an expensive front shock fork.

I've put 1000 miles on my Giant and it's as if I just bought it.
Old 01-07-05, 02:25 PM
clevernamehere

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I guess "cheap" is a relative term. My $540 (Canadian) Marin Larkspur is the priciest bike I've ever purchased. I'm pretty happy with it. I bought it with the intention of commuting 3 seasons on paved roads and bike paths. I wanted something more upright/durable than a road bike but lighter/faster than a heavy mountain bike. It seems to be a pretty good compromise. I have since decided to try to make it through the winter as well.

The bike came with 700x35 road slick tires (I currently have Innova studded tires on it I think they are 38s). I installed full Planet Bike Freddy Fenders as well with no clearance problems. I also mounted a rear rack. The bike as eyelets for front racks as well.

It's an aluminum frame, chromoly rigid fork setup (I also didn't want suspension due to weight, limited budget etc.)

Another bike that I didn't see till after I bought mine but would have checked out (similar price) is the Trek 7300fx (another hybrid).

Old 01-07-05, 02:26 PM
Listen to me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are going th thrash it on ice anyway why not get a used bike and convert it to SS/fixed?
$ free $
Old 01-07-05, 03:23 PM

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I guess I should have qualified "cheap." The last 2 bikes I've purchased were a 2k road racing bike and a 1700 tri-specific bike. 500 is "cheap" relative to that. I've also don't intend to literally trash the bike, but I'm not looking for expensive component groups either. I will definately check out that Giant. I don't know where I'd find a Marin. I'd look at a ss bike also since my commute is flat, but think I'd want a fixed rather than coaster. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. At least now I have a place to begin.
Old 01-07-05, 03:28 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by DogBoy
does such a thing exist? I'm looking for < $500 US with clearance/frame mounts for fenders, studded tires (26x2+ or 700-38+) and fenders and a rack mount. Gearing isn't that crucial since there are few hills. I only plan to ride this as an ice-bike on roads that are semi-cleared. I've started looking but all I find are $700 bikes (CD Bad boy etc.) or kids bikes. Where did all the cheap adult bikes go? (they all seem to have a fork suspension, which I hate.
There are many, but most have front suspension. If you are going to make an ice bike and ride it on frozen ice you will be a lot more comfortable with suspension if the ice is bumpy and frozen hard. It can be much bumpier than off road riding.

Is there something about front suspension you don't like? I use my 1994 ( Was $429 ) Giant Yukon with front suspension for the ice. If you don't mind front suspension there are a lot of bikes in this range. Lots of them, Most factory production bike brands have a few.
Old 01-07-05, 03:35 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
There are many, but most have front suspension. If you are going to make an ice bike and ride it on frozen ice you will be a lot more comfortable with suspension if the ice is bumpy and frozen hard. It can be much bumpier than off road riding.

Is there something about front suspension you don't like? I use my 1994 ( Was $429 ) Giant Yukon with front suspension for the ice. If you don't mind front suspension there are a lot of bikes in this range. Lots of them, Most factory production bike brands have a few.
Since this will be an on-road during bad conditions bike, I didn't think the suspension was needed. I had a bike with a suspension fork and hated it on-road. Climbing was a P.I.T.A. since everything went to the shock. I would say weight, but by the time I add studded tires, a rack, 30 lbs of junk and 3 lbs of lights weight savings is pretty pointless. Anyway, I had a bad experience with suspension so I don't want another suspended bike.
Old 01-07-05, 03:49 PM
contrarian

Bikes: 80's ross road bike/commuter, 80's team miyata, 90's haro mtb xtracycle conversion, koga mitaya world traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should be able to get a 2004 model for @ $300: Kona Smoke:

https://www.konaworld.com/shopping_ca...5&parentid=182
Old 01-07-05, 03:58 PM
@#$% cars

Bikes: '02 Schwinn Frontier;'03 Fisher Tiburon; '04 Raleigh Companion; 04 Dahon SpeedPro; 69 Raleigh Sport fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fisher has the Zebrano at $419 which looks like a solid bike.
https://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bik...t&bike=Zebrano

Here's a Marin Muirwoods that looks pretty good at 399:
https://willybikes.com/site/itemdetai...g=1&sort=Price
Old 01-07-05, 04:02 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by DogBoy
Since this will be an on-road during bad conditions bike, I didn't think the suspension was needed. I had a bike with a suspension fork and hated it on-road. Climbing was a P.I.T.A. since everything went to the shock. I would say weight, but by the time I add studded tires, a rack, 30 lbs of junk and 3 lbs of lights weight savings is pretty pointless. Anyway, I had a bad experience with suspension so I don't want another suspended bike.
If you find the right bike shop, They might swap a solid fork for your front suspension. If they have a potential customer for the fork,it might even be a savings. Maybe...
Old 01-07-05, 05:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go used. You'll get a better bike that you won't be so protective of, and you'll have more fun and less worry.

I'm not a fan of suspension for non-rad riding. It's difficult to find mtn. bikes without suspension these days. Another reason to get a slightly older bike--there used to be more choice in normal-forked bikes.
Old 01-07-05, 06:29 PM
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by velogirl
Go used. You'll get a better bike that you won't be so protective of, and you'll have more fun and less worry.

I'm not a fan of suspension for non-rad riding. It's difficult to find mtn. bikes without suspension these days. Another reason to get a slightly older bike--there used to be more choice in normal-forked bikes.
Not really, most 'core' frame makers don't build up bikes.
We're talkin BIKES not 'packages'.
Put whatever fork you want on.

2 extremes..(both steel) mtb.

I got something close to the Ritch. Just need the freerider. https://www.243racing.com/page155.htm

I'm not so hot on non-suspension Alu mtb.

Oh ya cheap...Alu, maybe an older Kona mtb. Put on a suspension seat.

Last edited by jeff williams; 01-07-05 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-09-05, 08:27 PM
Fat Guy in Bike Shorts!

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, go used. I'm building a winter bike out of my OLD Huffy Rock Mountain (or whatever it was called). Needs a new crank, as the left pedal arm is broken off (cheap Huffy carp), but nashbar has a new truvativ crank on sale for $35 and some new platforms for $13. I don't really care what happens to it, as it has been unusable for the last 4 or 5 years anyway. But yeah, get a used bike so when you crash on the ice and the frame bends around a park bench, you won't be out hundreds of dollars.

I'm all for the no suspension idea. Unless someone can make a cheap $150 suspension bike with a lockout, I'll keep riding this Huffy beater in the winter until the frame breaks
Old 01-09-05, 08:41 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think used as well. An old road bike turned into a singlespeed/fixed (I like fixed on the road) will have plenty of fat tire and fender clearence, and with one gear there's very little that can break or need adjustment.