Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Canadian Company Recalls Bike Attachments

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-05, 03:30 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I saw one of these at an LBS. I think I'll tell them.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A British Columbia, Canada company is recalling 80,000 bicycle attachments because the hitch may come loose, potentially leading to serious injury or death, the Consumer Product Safety Commission said Friday.

Norco Products Ltd. has received two reports of hardware falling out of the hitch assembly, and one report of a minor injury, the CPSC said.

The product resembles a children's bike without the front wheel and has an elongated top tube that stretches to attach to the seat post of an adult bicycle, creating a tandem.

The recall involves the Adams Trail-A-Bike or Adams Slipstream sold under the following models: Starter, Folder, Shifter, Shocker, Ultimate Tandem, Deluxe Folder, Me 2 and Original. "Trail-A-Bike" or "Slipstream" is printed on the top tube of the bicycle attachment and "Adams" is printed on the chain guard.

Advertisement

The attachments, sold at independent bicycle stores nationwide from Jan. 1996 through Oct. 2004 for $125-295, were made in China. The product was sold for use by children ages 4 to 7.

Consumers should stop using the product immediately and contact their local bicycle dealer to arrange for an inspection and receive a free repair kit to be installed for free. For more information, consumers can call 800-663-8916 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. PST Monday through Friday.

More info: https://www.trail-a-bike.com/news/rec...12.03.2004.htm
Old 01-07-05, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Yikes. There are a BUNCH of these things out there. Most bike shops tend to post "recall" notices on some back wall, where no one sees them. These "ride-a-long" bikes are used by adults who want to be able to ride at full speed on the street, with their kid behind them. If the kid's half of this "tandem" falls off, there is a good chance of a serious injury.

If any of us see a parent with one of these things, we need to tell them to take it to their LBS and get it checked out.
Old 01-07-05, 09:17 PM

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got to inspect 145 of these in a fleet of rental equipment. To be honest, any mechanic should have spotted such a mistake and fixed it on assembly.