Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Bad Boy Upgrade Advice Please ...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-12, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I rececently purchased 2010 Bad Boy Ultra used last week. I want make some upgrades -- Wider spoked wheels for wider tires - prefer all black. The stock wheelset with baldy tires are great ... Just looking for a speaw wheelset for beach riding - Wider wheels with wider tires for Beach Sand Riding ...

I am also looking for sturdy / light Platform pedals - The BEST Platform Pedals ( Money is no concern )

And a Carbon Fiber Handlebar.

- Thanks
Old 06-10-12, 01:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks ..........
Old 06-10-12, 03:02 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
well you can perhaps cram in Pugsly like wheels.. but IDK about your frame clearances..

Different season and purpose I got 45mm wide rims from All Weather Sports in AK

they call them 'Snow Cats', I use Nokian Studded tires on those..

I note there is a deluxe Carbon fiber filled version of the Ergon pedals out.
may need to retail from Germany, Though..

Note the fat-tire bike single speed FS here, thru dealers https://www.sunbicycles.com/products.php
the black one 2nd row of pictures.. really wide tires ,
frame made to clear them..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-10-12 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-10-12, 06:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you should head over to the forums.mtbr.com website where you can get current owners to offer suggestions (there is a cannondale specific section and a very extensive thread solely devoted to the Bad Boy).

Off the top of my head you are likely looking to go to a 26" wheel if you want tires with cush larger than 38c (presuming you have the lefty solo fork), and even then for clearance issues you likely wont go larger than a 2.2" tire. (maxxis hookworms 2.5; schwalbe Big Apples 2.0, 2.15, 2.35; Kenda Kiniptions 2.3, etc). For sand these are still not ideal, frankly nothing beats a snow bike if you are riding on sand so we are talking Surly pugsley (moonlander, etc). The bad boy is not an ideal match for this kind of riding, at best it can be made into a very good XC mountainbike, not a sand bike, that is just not it's forte and the biggest tires you can shoehorn onto it's frame/fork are still not ideal for this.. Might do in a pinch not def not an ideal match at all, likely more chore than joy at best.

Platform pedals...well there are scores of great pedals, look for DH type pedals if you want the most outright strength. My bikes have a combination of Truvativ Holzfeller DH, CrankBros 50/50, Azonic 420, etc, etc, etc..hordes of good pedals out there. I have Xpedo curves on mine, they suit the bike and the riding I do but they are biased on weight saving not strength so not ideal to subject to rock bashing else they are very nice. Good wide platform and pins with decent balance between grip and comfort. Not the most aggessive pins but grip well enough for my street riding.

Carbon fiber handlebars...the world is your oyster... Easton Havoc, Truvativ Noir, Crank Bros Iodine just to name few assuming you were looking for Mountain biking carbon bars..