Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A little help figureing out my next bike.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-11-12, 12:36 AM

Bikes: 2006 Trek 7500 Multitrack, 1985 Roadmaster Pro Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 2 Posts

I am turning 30 this month and I currently ride a 2006 Trek Multitrack 7500 in the 15" size.

https://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/B...7500&Type=bike

I love it and I originally fully set it up with the intention of light touring if I wanted to. But I am wanting a steel framed touring/road bike. I have a heart and lung condition and I am physically not very strong. If I cold bet to do 10-50 miles in a day I would be ecstatic. Honestly the existing stock gearing on my 7500 works really well for me if I have to do any climbing. I am also considering getting clip on aero bars and bar ends for the 7500. This would enable me to bend down and rest somewhat when I needed it for greater endurance on longer rides. Any thoughts on this would be helpful and much appreciated.

I have considered the Trek 520, Bianchi Volpe, the Windsor Tourist, Surly LHT, and the Fuji Touring. This will be used as a primary commuter, fun and light tourer.

The problem is I have always only ridden hybrids, mountain bikes, or cruisers. I have no idea how to relate what I already know to a new touring our road rig beyond the most basic stuff. Bicycle geometry, and even geometry of any kind, is beyond me.

Any idea on what kind of sizes I can ride comfortably? Any personal reviews of any of these bikes or other recommended models I might not even know about? Even the most general info would be helpful.

https://www.bikeforums.net/introductions/177616-long-past-time-i-made-post-warning-long.html
Old 06-11-12, 05:55 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Measure from the top of your saddle to the floor and from the top of your handlebar to the floor.

I'm thinking from your description that the seat to handlebar height difference is going to be a real key dimension for you. If you're internet shopping, I don't know how to guesstimate that factor.
Old 06-11-12, 03:24 PM

I am working on this, but it will take awhile. I am recovering from testicular torsion surgery and have a 5 lb weight limit. The bikes are both currently put away and not easily accessible be hind a giant box full of heavy stuff as we are moving in three weeks time.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=177616
Old 06-11-12, 04:16 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Next year Trek's 520 will also be an import , get a US made one , now.
Old 06-11-12, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Next year Trek's 520 will also be an import , get a US made one , now.
Haven't they been imports for a while now? - https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...in-Wisconsin-(
Old 06-12-12, 05:07 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
You said: "I have considered the Trek 520, Bianchi Volpe, the Windsor Tourist, Surly LHT, and the Fuji Touring. This will be used as a primary commuter, fun and light tourer."

Any of these will work for you. Your main issues (adjusting to a road type bike, the handlebars, the controls, the saddle support differences), can only be worked out by riding. The internet won't help you.

Once you're up to it, go to your biggest most well-stocked bike shop and ask to ride a road bike attached to a rear-wheel trainer. Go on a Monday or Tuesday night after dinner. Have the sales person adjust the bike to fit you, nominally, and hop on. Ask questions while you try the bike, and allow your body to adjust to this new feeling. Do you think that you can try it in the parking lot?

Return the next day and take the same bike (same adjustments) outside for a test ride. Make it about a 20 minute ride. Have the bike shop suggest the safest route. Determine what works well for you and what you don't like. Return to the shop and discuss your issues. Do they have any suggestions?

As to your list of bikes: Yes, they'll all work fine for your intended purpose. All have been used as cross-country tourers as well as commuters. They'll be configured differently, so comparisons will be hard. I would say that your biggest differences will be in how you set up the shifters (bar end or integrated type). The bike shop can show you these.

I prefer bar end shifters. That's just me. Good luck.
Old 06-17-12, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Measure from the top of your saddle to the floor and from the top of your handlebar to the floor.

I'm thinking from your description that the seat to handlebar height difference is going to be a real key dimension for you. If you're internet shopping, I don't know how to guesstimate that factor.
Ok, got them. Seat height is 33 inches and handlebar is 41 inches.

And now for another pain pill...

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=177616