Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is this ALL I need to remove/install my Bottom bracket, chain and Cassette?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-12, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Trying to build my kit here. I have some basic tools here at home.

BBT-9 Bottom Bracket for 16 notch external crankset system cups (SRAM, Shimano, FSA, Truvativ, Race Face, Zipp, etc)

https://www.parktool.com/product/bott...ket-tool-bbt-9

BBT-22 Cartridge Bottom Bracket Tool (for 20 tooth internal splines, such as Shimano®, FSA®, etc.)

https://www.parktool.com/product/bott...et-tool-bbt-22

CWP-7 Crank Puller for Splined Octalink®, ISIS Drive®, and square-taper type

https://www.parktool.com/product/univ...d-cranks-cwp-7

FR-5 Cassette Lockring Tool for Shimano® and similar brands
*or FRG5

https://www.parktool.com/product/cass...ring-tool-fr-5

Chain tool

https://www.parktool.com/product/scre...hain-tool-ct-3

SR-11 Chain Whip and Freewheel/Lockring Wrench

https://www.parktool.com/product/11-speed-compatible-chain-whip-sprocket-remover-sr-11

I have a road bike with SRAM.

Last edited by Biscayne05; 06-14-12 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-14-12, 10:01 AM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
The chain and cassette stuff is good (chain tool, lock ring tool and chain whip) but the rest depends on the style of BB and crankset. You've listed tools for two different types. Unless you are removing one type and installing a different type, you won't need all of that.
Old 06-14-12, 11:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CACycling
The chain and cassette stuff is good (chain tool, lock ring tool and chain whip) but the rest depends on the style of BB and crankset. You've listed tools for two different types. Unless you are removing one type and installing a different type, you won't need all of that.
I have a regular GXP bb that will be changed to bb86 otherwise I'm not changing anything on my bike-buils.

So which one do I only need other than the 3 you mentioned?
Old 06-14-12, 12:09 PM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
The BBT-9 will remove the GXP. BB86 is press fit so no tools are necessary to install. However, GXP is for an English threaded BB shell and BB86 is press fit which requires the frame to have a different BB shell. I don't believe they are interchangeable.
Old 06-14-12, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You definitely don't need CWP-7. You do need BBT-9 to remove existing crankarms and you need some more tools (I don't know which ones, depends on your new crankset) to install new crankarms. You also need an 8 mm allen wrench and a torque wrench.

If you are just trying to replace the BB and keep the arms, I think you'll also need a 16 mm allen wrench.
Old 06-17-12, 07:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks guys.

BB86 is press fit so no tools are necessary to install.
Is this the way it's installed?

there are tools that were used on the 1:40 and 4:40 mark and I read on the video desc. that they are for Shimano.

I found this on PT:

https://www.parktool.com/product/pres...l-set-bbt-90-3

This is what I need for my BB86 correct?

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/za....ID=6252&MODE=

I don't think I'm going to buy the stuff for the GXP system. I'll just go to bicycle workshops around town for that and take care of that myself.
Old 06-17-12, 10:00 PM
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Yep, that's the way it's installed by an experienced, professional mechanic. But no, those are not all the tools. You also need the knowledge to determine compatibility of the parts (as mentioned earlier), to properly use the tools, and to adjust the affected drive train components after you have completed the assembly. The most critical tool is always grey matter, and that's the reason for the disclaimer at the beginning of the video.

p.s. A plastic faced dead blow hammer would work much better than that puny claw hammer.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 06-17-12 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-17-12, 10:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But no, those are not all the tools.
So I'm not going to be able to remove and install BB, chain and cassette with:

CT3, FR5, SR11 and BBT 90.3?

*I will go to a bicycle workshop like I said for my old BB and crank.
Old 06-18-12, 08:49 AM
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Originally Posted by Biscayne05
So I'm not going to be able to remove and install BB, chain and cassette with:

CT3, FR5, SR11 and BBT 90.3?

*I will go to a bicycle workshop like I said for my old BB and crank.
Perhaps I was not direct enough. The part after "...not all the tools" refers to the fact that you have to use your brain as a tool, and I'm not sure you are using that particular tool as well as you could. You need to pay attention to the earlier post below, for example:

Originally Posted by CACycling
The BBT-9 will remove the GXP. BB86 is press fit so no tools are necessary to install. However,GXP is for an English threaded BB shell and BB86 is press fit which requires the frame to have a different BB shell. I don't believe they are interchangeable.
Old 06-18-12, 03:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fortunately, I do have a working BRAIN like what you suggest and yes I do have a new frame that has a BB86 shell.

All I'm looking for is a yes or no answer and if it's a no then tell me what tools. I obviously wouldn't ask the question if I knew what tools I need. Otherwise you can just say "yes, those are all the tools you need". Telling me I need a brain to take these parts out are a bit insulting. Get off your high horse and just don't reply on the thread for F sakes.

I hope you don't go on telling people they need their hands to switch the channel on the TV, or put the key in the ignition to start the car.
Old 06-19-12, 04:50 PM
Mechanic/Tourist

I was not trying to be smart, just pointing out a reality that many do not appreciate. It's all too common that someone gets the right tools and dives in without the knowledge required to do a job properly. Even in my second post I merely suggested that you might want to use your brain better, as you seemed to be missing an important piece of info from anther poster. It is your choice to put that kind of tone to my post.

At the risk of ticking you off further I would point out that when you ask about "remove/install" it is natural for anyone to assume you mean on the same frame. Why would we think it was two different frames when you did not tell us that? You are taking as an insult a caution that was meant to protect you from an expensive mistake.

Your analogies don't quite fit, but I'll use one of them anyway. If someone asked you if a key was all they needed to start a car, wouldn't you want to determine whether they knew enough to drive one before just saying yes? Would it be insulting to point out that they need to practice and know the rules of the road as well? If someone had only driven an automatic shift and asked you if they just needed to use the clutch to drive stick, would "yes" be a good enough answer?

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 06-19-12 at 04:54 PM.