Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Where to buy left crank arm nut?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-12, 05:49 AM

Bikes: 1976 Schwinn Super Le Tour, tricked out with modern components. Shimano Alfine 11 internal gear hub. Dynamo hub. Titanium racks and bottle cages. Mercier Kilo Wide Tire dropbar singlespeed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

I am fixing a friend's old 1970s department store bike (Free Spirit ladies 10-speed). The left crank arm nut that holds the crank arm onto the crank stub is missing, and the arm falls off the square shaft. I believe the left crank arm is reverse threaded, right? I measured the outer diameter of the threads onto which the nut goes, and it measures approximately 10mm. I have looked around online and can't seem to find this nut on any online retailers. The crank is a Sugino, for what that's worth. Any suggestions where I could go to find this nut?
Old 06-18-12, 05:53 AM
group W bench

Bikes: Raleigh Prestige, GT ZR.1, Burley Duet, Schwinn Voyagre, Giant ATX 990, a couple single speeds and a fixed gear, plus my bike collection

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 3 Posts
Any LBS near you should have them for about $1 each. Basic crank nuts/bolts are not left/right specific.
Old 06-18-12, 06:07 AM
Rolling along

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
take the one off the other side with you, the only left handed threaded bolt on the bike is the left pedal.
Old 06-18-12, 06:59 AM

Bikes: 2010 Trek 1.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't it just one of these?
https://www.amazon.com/ACTION-B-BRACK.../dp/B001ANS5PS
Old 06-18-12, 08:27 AM
30 YR Wrench

Bikes: Waterford R-33, Madone 6.5, Trek 520

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RookieRoadie
Go to a bike shop, and it will be probably be half that price. Take 'em a beer and it'll probably be free.

BTW. That nut will not fix the problem. You need a new crank arm as well. No really, you do. If the arm fell off, without having to be pulled off with a puller, the square taper press fit is corrupted and the crank will not stay on. You can either accept the advice of someone who has been repairing bikes for 30 years or go make you own mistakes....
Old 06-18-12, 08:47 AM

Bikes: 2010 Trek 1.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^ +1
Old 06-18-12, 08:54 AM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
+1 While I buy a lot of stuff on line, some things do not make sense, particularly low $ items where the shipping is likely to be greater than the item's price.

As a side benefit, have the shop look at the crank arm, could have more problems that a replacement nut will not fix.
Old 06-18-12, 09:27 AM
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Agreed. Would you go to Acehardwareonline.com to purchase a 1/4x20 nut and bolt? I don't get the reason for spending time searching for a $1.00 part, particularly when the mechant who sells you the part has no ability to come through your Internet connection and say "That part is not going to be compatible to me," or "I would recommend checking that crank arm for damage."

(Fair warning - Here he goes again)
The people who avoid bike shops strike me as kind of reverse Luddites - the Internet is high tech and therefore better than the old-fashioned bike shop. Well, guess what? You will likely learn far more from a few visits to a bike shop than from hours spent reading questionably qualified posts on this or any other forum. If you only have one bike shop and it "sucks" then look for a local bike club and ask if they offer any repair clinics, or look for a local cyclist who like to help others.

Believe it or not, people learned how to fix bikes before the Internet existed, and even before there were dozens of bike repair books. When the 10 speed boom hit we did not even have many other folks to help us - we had to figure out how things worked by observation. I'm not saying that as a "we had to walk 10 miles to school" rant, because nothing has changed. Observation, backed by information as it is available, is still the best way to understand working on a bicycle.

p.s. If you don't know the threading of a BB spindle, and don't know that a nut will not fix the problem, then you probably should not be working on someone else's bike.