Search
Notices
Mountain - Plains Colorado | Kansas | Missouri | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Disappointed in LBS.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-12, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Disappointed in LBS.

I'll be the first to admit, I'm not a regular at a LBS, and I ride a department store bike (more on that later). I've e-mailed my LBS a couple of times over the past month and have yet to receive a reply. Their website says they're the #1 bike shop in the region. I let that slide as it wasn't that important of an issue.

Back to my department store bike... I put 160 miles on it and the threads in the tires were showing as the tread was gone. It's a department store bike, so I understand the quality wasn't there. I did some google searches looking at tires and saw some of what was out there. This past Saturday I decided to trust in my LBS and asked them about tires. (29" Mountain Bike, used mainly on concrete/asphalt, with occasional gravel). They showed me a tire and sold them to me for $40 each.

Today I was looking on the internet and looked up the tires. $22 MSRP... and about that everywhere on the net as well. I know bike shops need to make a profit and can understand a markup, but the $40 seemed a bit excessive. So I called my LBS and asked about the tire. The guy told me they don't stock them and would have to special order them. I asked about what the price would be and was told probably $25-$30. At this point I told him that I was in on Saturday asking about tires and they sold me 2 of them for $40 each and I was wondering if it was a price error.

He took my name/number and said he'd call back. 2 1/4 hours later I called back and he told me he was waiting to hear from his store manager and someone else about the tires. It's now another 2 hours later and I still haven't gotten a return call. I know that department store bikes aren't the greatest quality and was looking at shifting my business to my LBS, but this issue has completely soured me on them... especially if they were voted #1 in the region.

Please note that as this issue is ongoing, I'm not posting their name as I have no intention on bad-mouthing them without giving them a chance to finish working on this issue.... just wondering what my options are.... if I have any.

Best regards,
Fizziii
Old 06-18-12, 04:43 PM

Bikes: 2013 Ridley X-BOW

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can you just take the tires back to the store and ask about the price or return them? I was able to return a set that didn't meet my needs. They do get busy and it's not always easy to call back. You can always ask if he'll lower the price for you. If they let you return them, ask for a refund and buy the tires elsewhere. No reason to pay more than what the tires are worth.
Old 06-18-12, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So, you didn't shop around before you bought, and now you are blaming the store for being over priced?
Old 06-19-12, 06:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't shop around for those particular tires, no. I looked one the web and found a price range that most tires were in. Then I *trusted* my LBS to take care of me and help me out. Then after getting them I found the MSRP.

I understand they're a business and need to make money. At the same time, I feel 182% of MSRP is a bit ridiculous. Also, when I call them up and get told #1 that they don't stock them and #2, that if they special ordered them, they'd cost probably $25-30 makes me feel cheated.

I would honestly be content if they'd call me back and say "Yup, that's our pricing, it wasn't a mistake"... just something other than getting no response going on 21 hours (Granted, only 9 1/2 of those were business hours).

In answer to your other question, if it's their pricing, Yes, I'm blaming the store for being over-priced. I take full responsibility for purchasing though. I was trusting of my LBS. I'm honestly hoping it was just a pricing mistake on their end as it's a relatively new tire.

Last edited by Fizziii; 06-19-12 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-19-12, 07:46 AM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
So, you didn't shop around before you bought, and now you are blaming the store for being over priced?
No, he didn't shop around and the LBS gouged him for more than their regular price, or they lied when he asked for the quote after the fact. Either way, not a good way of doing business.

A couple questions though: Did the shop mount the tires for you? If so, maybe they included some money for the mounting. The internet can't mount tires for you. Secondly, where are you getting the MSRP number from? The manufacturer's website? Or are you just saying that the average price online is $22? If you are merely quoting numbers you saw on online stores, did you also add in any shipping charges? I've seen a lot of online sites that have super low product prices and then overcharge for shipping.

In my case, I pay the extra and get it from the shop. But for that money, my LBS treats me right. They advise me on purchases, guide me on projects, etc. When I talk to them about what I'm looking for, they just don't push a standard answer on me; they listen and give me good suggestions. (For instance, I said I liked the protection of Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, but the rolling resistance was too much and I didn't want to pay an arm and a leg; they suggested Panaracer RibMos, a tire I hadn't previously heard of, and I couldn't be happier with them. Also, they helped spec out parts for my first wheel build, and inspected the wheel when I was finished, making sure it was properly destressed.) I pay more at the LBS because I get a lot of value for that extra money. If your LBS isn't providing you with that kind of value, ditch 'em.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 06-19-12, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Fizziii
I didn't shop around for those particular tires, no. I looked one the web and found a price range that most tires were in. Then I *trusted* my LBS to take care of me and help me out. Then after getting them I found the MSRP.

I understand they're a business and need to make money. At the same time, I feel 182% of MSRP is a bit ridiculous. Also, when I call them up and get told #1 that they don't stock them and #2, that if they special ordered them, they'd cost probably $25-30 makes me feel cheated.

I would honestly be content if they'd call me back and say "Yup, that's our pricing, it wasn't a mistake"... just something other than getting no response going on 21 hours (Granted, only 9 1/2 of those were business hours).

In answer to your other question, if it's their pricing, Yes, I'm blaming the store for being over-priced. I take full responsibility for purchasing though. I was trusting of my LBS. I'm honestly hoping it was just a pricing mistake on their end as it's a relatively new tire.
Fizziii, find another LBS. It took me a while before I found a shop that I can trust. That's the way it goes. BTW, never buy into the Internet hype, a lot of those "great reviews" are written by people connected to the shop/business.

Good luck...incidentally, I rode a lot of department store bikes before I moved up to my current stable. Riding is the important thing, what you ride is secondary.
Old 06-19-12, 08:04 AM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
The closest "LBS" to me (and I'll name names) is a Performance Bikes shop. They have one employee who thinks the McHardcore Upsell is good business. I avoid him and always deal with the manager when I have to go there.
Old 06-19-12, 09:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doohickie,

I called the shop owner again this morning. He's waiting to hear back from Jeff at Serfas (Tires are Serfas Sheriff MEO-29-2.1 tires) regarding the pricing.

No, the shop didn't mount the tires. I went in an explained what I was looking for (29" mountain bike tires, and I do a lot of my riding on pavement/asphalt, with occasional gravel/dirt...). I bought two, and took them home and mounted them myself.

I got the MSRP from Serfas website: https://www.serfas.com/products/view...TwentyNineinch.
JensonUSA has them for 21.99 with free shipping for orders over $50 (which wouldn't help me)
Amazon has them for $20, but their page lists both 29 and 26, so I wouldn't trust it to know what I'm getting
bikesomewhere.com has them for $22 (with free shipping for orders over $75 which wouldn't help me).

I've put 36+ miles on them over the weekend, and seeing how the internal threads in the factory tires was showing through, I was looking for something sooner than shipping would get me.

At this point, I'm hoping it's a miscommunication between Serfas and the bike shop, as that's how it sounds. If they can't help me out, I can't return the tires since they're used and this experience will have soured me on the LBS.
Old 06-19-12, 10:26 AM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

I would think if you went into the bike shop and showed him the Serfas site that shows the $22 MSRP, he would almost have to give it to you for that price. If not, I would put it to him kind of like an ultimatum: "I like to support local businesses, but if you're going to insist on charging nearly double the manufacturer's price, I simply can't afford to shop here." Then it's in his court. FYI, for bike accessories and parts like tires, there is about 100% markup built into the MSRP. The LBS is probably paying $11-13 for the tire. If they charged you $40, they made over $25 PER TIRE on you. It's cool for them to make a fair profit, but I think 200-300% markup goes beyond fair profit.

Old 06-19-12, 10:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've now waited over 24 hours for resolution from the bike shop (who's waiting for the mfg president to get back to him). I'm trying to see if anyone else carries the tire.
Old 06-19-12, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't get how the shop says the don't stock the tire, but yet they sold you one out of stock. Are you sure it's the same tire?
Old 06-19-12, 11:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's what I don't get either. It's a relatively new tire, they sold it to me, then I called and asked about the tire and they didn't sound familiar with it. I gave them all the information I could find on it, so I'd imagine they were able to see it somewhere.

They sold me 2 out of stock. I'm not sure if the guy I've been talking to on the phone is one of the guys who sold them to me or not. Giving him the brand (Serfas), the Tire (Sheriff MEO) and size (29 x 2.1), I'm sure there aren't too many tires out there that fit...
Old 06-19-12, 12:15 PM
You gonna eat that?

Originally Posted by valygrl
I don't get how the shop says the don't stock the tire, but yet they sold you one out of stock. Are you sure it's the same tire?
Yeah, the whole thing just seems.... shaky?

Old 06-19-12, 12:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The tire on the site looks exactly like the tires I bought and installed on my bicycle. I found it online by referencing the nomenclature on the tags from the tire. If it's not the same tire, then it has to be a misunderstanding on the bike shop's end. I'm not sure what other information I can give him if he's not looking at the same tire short of going in there with the tires/tags and webpage from the manufacturer.

I did e-mail him the link to the tire since he says he couldn't find the tire on their website.... so that should also have clarified any miscommunications about which tire.
Old 06-20-12, 08:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Resolution: I stopped by while running an errand and was told that he got an e-mail from the company no more than 20 minutes prior. Says they told him the MSRP should be $29.99 each, so I got $20 back. Used it to get a pair of gloves to hopefully avoid the hand issues I've been having lately.
Old 06-25-12, 09:27 AM
I let the dogs out

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fizziii
Resolution: I stopped by while running an errand and was told that he got an e-mail from the company no more than 20 minutes prior. Says they told him the MSRP should be $29.99 each, so I got $20 back. Used it to get a pair of gloves to hopefully avoid the hand issues I've been having lately.
Not from the same LBS, I hope!