Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Bikeless and Big

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-12, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikeless and Big

I want to get into some biking, for exercise and enjoying it with the family. I am 285 , could be 250. I am looking to getting something inexpensive maybe from craigslist. What would you recommed for a mountain bike that is under 400? I am going to take time and look. We are on a budget and a new bike is n ot on the list. I know serious rider plop down well over a grand but that is not me. I just need something to tool around in.
Old 06-19-12, 11:16 AM
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I started riding, I was at 278 and on a low budget as well. Fortunatly for me, being an auto mechanic I'm able to do some bike repairs for myself so I picked up an old, but working, Moutain bike at one of many local garage sale and tuned it the best I could. Two years later it's now my wife bike. I think you can get a very decent bike under 100$ including the tune-up, for a starter it's the best. I started like that but now I'm at 215 and I have 3 different road bikes.
Old 06-19-12, 11:21 AM

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I see 10 to 20 year old hardtail mountain bikes; Trek 800/820, Specialized Hardrock, GT, Gary Fisher, etc...selling for between $60 and $200 locally on Craigslist. In good condition, something like this should be fine for "tooling around." Alternately, ask at LBS. Maybe they have a trade in that meets your needs.

Condition is key, but even if you need to replace tires/tubes/brakes, you should be able to be up and running for $150 to $250 at the most.
Old 06-19-12, 01:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you haven't already, you might want to have a gander at the sheldon brown site. If it has to do with bikes, it's probably there - can probably get an idea of repairs you can do yourself. When looking for used bikes, do some research on what to look for.
Old 06-19-12, 01:34 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Recumbent trike?
Old 06-19-12, 02:23 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1, 600, T700, MB-6 w/ Dirt Drops, MB-Zip, Bianchi Limited, Nashbar Hounder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up two MTBs in the last 6 months off Craigslist. A 1990 Bridgestone MB-6 for $100, and a 1994 Bridgestone MB-3 for $150. Both in decent mechanical shape. I overhauled the MB-6 completely and replaced some parts. It's riding really sweet. And the MB3 I just picked up a couple weeks ago. I haven't really done anything yet. But both are steel, both fit riders from 5'8" to 6'1", and both had little rust damage. I had to wait a few months and watch CL often and react quickly. But these are certainly better bikes than you could probably ever get from a department store and should hold up to a heavy rider fairly well for casual rides or even some off road.
Old 06-24-12, 06:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Size

Thanks,are those sizing charts for bikes generally accurate? I will need to be more educated when I make a move. Didn't even know Bridgestone made bikes. Are mongooses still good? I think they sell them at big box stores so I wonder. Do not want to get a NEXT.

Originally Posted by gyozadude
I picked up two MTBs in the last 6 months off Craigslist. A 1990 Bridgestone MB-6 for $100, and a 1994 Bridgestone MB-3 for $150. Both in decent mechanical shape. I overhauled the MB-6 completely and replaced somet parts. It's riding really sweet. And the MB3 I just picked up a couple weeks ago. I haven't really done anything yet. But both are steel, both fit riders from 5'8" to 6'1", and both had little rust damage. I had to wait a few months and watch CL often and react quickly. But these are certainly better bikes than you could probably ever get from a department store and should hold up to a heavy rider fairly well for casual rides or even some off road.