Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Ready to upgrade my trike battery, need some help!

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Ready to upgrade my trike battery, need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-12, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Ready to upgrade my trike battery, need some help!

I'd posted a few months ago when I was considering an upgrade and I've decided to do it! I have a torker trike (newer model) that has a front hub motor. Right now it has a 36 volt lead acid battery set up and at its peak I was only getting about a 10 mile range. I'm pretty clueless about batteries but the last time I posted someone told me I could get a good battery set up for what seemed like way less then the local e-bike guy was going to charge me. I'm thinking of buying the battery myself and just having him install it.

So, what battery should I go for? I don't know what's out there at all. I would love to get between a 20 to 25 mile range if possible and a shorter charging time if not possible. I live 10 miles away from the town where I do most of my business and could plug it in somewhere while I take care of things, but would love to be able to make it there and back in one charge. Thanks!
Old 06-19-12, 07:26 PM

Bikes: 2012 Kona Lanai

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Star Dogg, talk to Li Ping about your requirements. He has the best reputation when it comes to LiFePO4 batteries. Send him plenty of pictures if he needs them of your current setup and describe exactly what you have and what you want out of a new battery. You can check out his website at https://www.pingbattery.com. His email is on his site as well. Get the 5A chargers when you get to that option and you'll be able to recharge your battery very quickly.

Good luck and keep us informed on your results.
Old 06-20-12, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by EBikeFL
Star Dogg, talk to Li Ping about your requirements. He has the best reputation when it comes to LiFePO4 batteries. Send him plenty of pictures if he needs them of your current setup and describe exactly what you have and what you want out of a new battery. You can check out his website at https://www.pingbattery.com. His email is on his site as well. Get the 5A chargers when you get to that option and you'll be able to recharge your battery very quickly.

Good luck and keep us informed on your results.
I agree. I have two Ping 48V 15Ahr lithium batteries on my trike running in parallel through a diode. I get up to 80 miles of range on the tadpole, with moderate assist and have over 5000 miles on the trike since I got the batteries. They are very good. They fit perfectly in a waterproof Lexan tackle box from Westmarine. I open the box for charging as that is when meaningful heat is generated on the BMS circuit board.
Ping is the man.
Old 06-20-12, 08:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chvid
I agree. I have two Ping 48V 15Ahr lithium batteries on my trike running in parallel through a diode. I get up to 80 miles of range on the tadpole, with moderate assist and have over 5000 miles on the trike since I got the batteries. They are very good. They fit perfectly in a waterproof Lexan tackle box from Westmarine. I open the box for charging as that is when meaningful heat is generated on the BMS circuit board.
Ping is the man.
Nice! How about a few pictures chvid; especially, of the tackle box and battery setup.
Old 06-22-12, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is a link to my description of the Westmarine cases on Endless-Sphere...with photos...Enjoy...It's a great solution.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vie...600226#p600226
Old 06-23-12, 06:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chvid
Here is a link to my description of the Westmarine cases on Endless-Sphere...with photos...Enjoy...It's a great solution.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vie...600226#p600226
Nice! Thank you.