Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

CX or Road and 29er

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

CX or Road and 29er

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-12, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CX or Road and 29er

In about a month or two ill be getting a new bike (or two). Im think of buying either a cyclocross bike or a road and a 29er. I would use it for commuting to/from school (rain or shine), and possibly a century or some other non-competitive events (mostly for fun not super-competitive). The bike would be locked up at school (I go to a CC, on a daily basis there are 5-10 bikes locked up). Im only looking at Raleigh and Diamonback because they are the only two manufacturers I can get a deal on.

CX would be commuter, longer rides, trail bike, used for basically everything.

Road would be simply be used for longer ride smooth surface rides
29er would be the commuter, trail bike

If I get a CX I was considering the Diamondback Steilacoom CCX
One thing about this one I like is that it sort of has a generic, not super expensive, look. Also I image I could swap in thinner tires and a non-compact crank (if the compact one isnt enough for me) during for smooth road use. Ive read the differences from a CX and road shouldnt hold me back at all as long as I dont track my times down to seconds or <15 min. I also like the ability to go off-road

https://cyclocross.findthebest.com/l/...Steilacoom-Rcx

If I go Road/29er I think I would get a Podium 2 Road Bike
I dont think I would ever use the Podium 2 to commute simply because it has that expensive road bike look and I dont want my bike to stand out so much on the racks, feel like its too much for school. But its a nice road bike, would be good for a first century or other event (right?)

https://www.diamondback.com/2012-podium-2

I dont really know which 29er to get. I like the idea of having the option to switch to thinner tires if I the included ones are too big. I also like how it could be used for heavier off-road use (though Ive never done any serious mtb)
The ones that have come up are the Talon 29's and Overdrive 29's

if I go Road/29er, it would only cost about ~$250-300 more over the CX

What do you guys recommend, Im also listening to recommendations of other CX/Road bikes from Diamonback and Raleigh. Also when are 2013 models typically released, I can wait since I dont need the bike until mid-august

-Thanks for any help.

Last edited by houston9388; 06-19-12 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-19-12, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
How long is your commute? Will you really do much trail riding, and what kind of trails?
Old 06-19-12, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commute is 15 miles each way. virtually all of the trail s nicely paved, with a few cracks/bumps and avoidable potholes. As far as how much trail use... I dont really know. There are a couple of nearby trails that I could get out on over weekends
Old 06-21-12, 10:31 PM
No longer here

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Opinions are like bungholes,I've heard...everyone has one and most stink-that said,here's mine,LOL ...I say go the CX route-almost as light and fast as a road bike (assuming budget priced road bikes here),BUT has the capability of multi-surface riding,potentially a more comfy ride,and should last well also due to beefy construction and components (most CX's I've seen can even use mtn bike parts in a pinch). This has worked well for me,as I use dmy Origin 8 CX'er for my do-it-all bike,from longer,faster road rides to rail trails,to the occasionaly singletrack (actually,having borrowed lotsa parts off of my lone mtn bike,a Vassago Bandersnatch,to build an Xtracycle on an old friend,my CX'er is my only trail bike at the moment-I rail the same technical trails on it as I did the Bander). Just my 2 cents,what works for me may not for you,but it's a perspective from someone who made the same decision you're facing just over a year ago
Old 06-23-12, 08:23 PM

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
consider a surly crosscheck - due to tire size flexibility.
stock tires for commuting, a set of wheels with 42 or 47 mm tires as they are pretty close to a 29,er, and a set of wheels with 25 mm tires for the road. start out with the stock bike and evolve the components and set as your needs develop.
Old 06-23-12, 09:26 PM

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Crux, Schwinn Mesa

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love my cross bike its a Specialized Crux. Its the 2012 model and it has Apex components and Disc brakes. its rugged but sexy still and fast and handles well however its not idea for commuting because it doesnt have attachment points for fenders and racks. I would recommend the Specialized Tricross for your purposes. Some models are disc brake and they have all the attachment points for fenders and racks. It handles nice is a fun bike to ride and can still handle offroading.