Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Seen on the way to a jobsite this morning...

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 06-27-12, 08:00 PM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

This is my kind of trucker:

Old 06-27-12, 09:28 PM

Bikes: 92 Giant Perigee/ 85 Peugeot P8 / 94 Specialized Allez Sport/ 93 Specialized Rockhopper/ 96 Specialized Rockhopper/ 2000 Gary Fisher Gitche Gumee/ 93 Cignal Ozark MTB/ Pacific Dualie Tandem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used to do the same thing when I worked for Arrow Trucking back in 1993. I kept a 93 Rockhopper on the rack just like that.
The down side is, no matter how much padding you use the constant travel wrecks the finish under the rack arms. Also, You catch a lot of ribbing on the CB. Once at a truck stop in Stockton, CA, I got to bite back. I told'em I would leave to enjoy those dry sandwiches under the heat lamp in the truck stop while I crused down to a nice restaurant for a fine meal.
Good side is I can brag about riding in L.A., San Fransisco, Denver, and the Utah and California deserts.

I loved it. But one day with with another company, I had to pick up a load on a van trailer. The driver that had the trailer last had left the trailer much higher than I was used to and the pin jumped the fifth wheel and crushed my Rockhopper between the cab abd trailer. It took a lot of work at the LBS to fix that.
Old 07-07-12, 11:04 AM

Bikes: 86' schwinn sprint updated and converted to touring, Trek 3 series, trek 1.2, and as soon as the disk LHT comes out it will be added

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I keep my trek3 on the top bunk the name is my profession not my bike not for a couple of more months anyway been waiting on the disk trucker. I have ridden all over the country and with the help of programs on my iPhone like Trailbehind I find all the places to ride that are close no matter where I am I am in riverside today yesterday it was Reno nv and tomorrow it's gonna be Portland Oregon after that I have to wait on my travel agent to let me know. I love seeing guys on tour and have even followed a few up hills rather than pass them mainly because of the idiots in the cars behind me. Happy trails
Old 07-07-12, 04:21 PM

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
How did you know the cars behind you were idiots?
Old 07-07-12, 06:29 PM

Bikes: 86' schwinn sprint updated and converted to touring, Trek 3 series, trek 1.2, and as soon as the disk LHT comes out it will be added

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you look in your mirror and can see them playing on the phone or reading the newspaper as well as the fact that they can't keep their cars in the lane without going a cross the line in the center to hitting the shoulder then yea I can pretty much guess they can't drive for crap and wouldn't put anyone at risk. After 23 years and 2.5 million miles I should be a pretty good judge of the traffic around me
Old 07-07-12, 07:02 PM
Climbers Apprentice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to go with lht here...while I don't know about the people he saw specifically, but when I started many moons ago in my field I was in installation. I drove a truck mounted crane that had a 28 foot flat bed truck, and a 22 foot tag along trailer.

I did that for 15 years. I have a load of respect for long haul drivers...you have no idea (unless you have done it) how hard it is to take those trucks through traffic
Old 07-07-12, 08:21 PM

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by longhaultrucker
After 23 years and 2.5 million miles I should be a pretty good judge of the traffic around me
I would agree.