Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

which bike???

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

which bike???

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-12, 07:59 PM

Bikes: giant revel 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
which bike???

Ok here it goes. I have a 1 year old mtn bike sitting in my basement. Im completely car free and I'm thinking of making trips to and from the grocery store on my bike. I talked to the guy at the bike store and he has an older road bike that he would trade me for the mtn bike. The mtn bike is a giant and I just feel that if I'm really going to do this through summer and winter that I should go with the mtn. That has eyelets* for penniers*.

So do I trade the mtn for the road bike and get a free rack out of the deal or keep the mtn and just buy a rack and penniers.

I'm thinking keep the mtn bike. I can always buy some thiner* tires for it.
Old 07-04-12, 08:23 PM
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If I could only have one year-round bike in Indiana, I'd keep the MTB. But put some road tires on it for the summer months.
Old 07-04-12, 08:37 PM
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep! You're correct!

All kidding aside...

Of course you'd prefer to have a MTB for utility purposes, as opposed to a road bike!

A MTB is perfect, especially if you're car free. A hardtail MTB can be your commuter, your utility bike, and your recreational bike all in one. The hardtail MTB is the most versatlie bike on the planet. If you'd prefer to race or credit card tour, then the road bike is your choice. However, if you're not touring, racing in the crits, or long distance commuting, then a hybrid, or a hardtail MTB are your most likely candidates. That's especially so, if you're transporting gear, delivering valuables, or carrying work supplies.

Tell the bike store guy to walk the plank!

Last edited by SlimRider; 07-05-12 at 12:47 AM.
Old 07-04-12, 11:09 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yep202
Ok here it goes. I have a 1 year old mtn bike sitting in my basement. Im completely car free and I'm thinking of making trips to and from the grocery store on my bike. I talked to the guy at the bike store and he has an older road bike that he would trade me for the mtn bike. The mtn bike is a giant and I just feel that if I'm really going to do this through summer and winter that I should go with the mtn. That has eyelets* for penniers*.

So do I trade the mtn for the road bike and get a free rack out of the deal or keep the mtn and just buy a rack and penniers.

I'm thinking keep the mtn bike. I can always buy some thiner* tires for it.
Is this a recent transition fo LCF? I'm just kinda surprised that you haven't already done these modifications...
Old 07-05-12, 12:39 AM

Bikes: 84 Raleigh Technium- 89 Shogun Mt. Bike-96 Miyata 914

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
Yep! You're correct!

All kidding aside...

Of course you'd prefer to have a MTB for utility purposes, as opposed to a road bike!

A MTB is perfect, especially if you're car free. A hardtail MTB can be your commuter, your utility bike, and your recreational bike all in one. The hardtail MTB is the most versatlie bike on the planet. If you'd prefer to race or credit card tour, then the road bike is your choice. However, if you're not touring the Appalachia, racing in the crits, or long distance commuting, then a hybrid, or a hardtail MTB are your most likely candidates. That's especially so, if you're transporting gear, delivering valuables, or carrying work supplies.

Tell the bike store guy to walk the plank!
As much as I'd hate to lose my road bikes I have to agree 100%.
Old 07-05-12, 05:29 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Sure he wants to trade your newer mountain bike for his older road bike. There's a clue right there.

My go-to utility bike is a 23 year old Hard Rock, with fenders, lights, a rack, shopping panniers, a trailer hitch and street slicks. One thing it doesn't have is suspension.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 07-05-12, 11:23 AM

Bikes: giant revel 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I'm keeping the mtn bike I just had the rack and penniers put on a couple of min ago ill put up a photo as soon as I get back to my house thanks for the advise
Old 07-05-12, 01:02 PM
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yep202
Well I'm keeping the mtn bike I just had the rack and penniers put on a couple of min ago ill put up a photo as soon as I get back to my house thanks for the advise
Think you're going to be a very happy camper!

Yep! I sure do!