Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Houston, we're ready for Re-entry.....

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-07-12, 03:58 PM

Bikes: Scott Metrix 40

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

......into cycling, that is, at the tender age of 52.. The last time I rode a bicycle regularly was around 1990 as part of my daily fitness regimen, rode a Raleigh 10-spd about 10-15 miles daily. Then, I "graduated" to dirt bikes and did off road for the next 5 years. Which brings me to now, after years in an office behind a computer I'm 30lbs overweight, 3yrs since diagnosis as a Type II diabetic (have all my levels under control, though), have lower back problems, and am dealing with the beginnings of arthritis in my left hip....

Walking has helped some (running is out due to weight and back), but not the boost I remember from cycling, so I'm going back to it with fresh equipment. I've been looking with interest at a neighbor's his-n-hers Specialized Cirrus and Vida, so this morning I went to my LBS and ordered a 2013 Scott Metrix 40 for myself. My wife also seems interested, so we may get her a bike after she rides the neighbor's Vida some. We live in an area that offers numerous different riding venues, one of the best right by our house.

I'll be starting with 2-5 mile rides, working on making it daily, then up to 10-15 miles a day as my fitness level increases. I'm glad to have found this forum that deals with folks in my situation, I've done a ton of reading already. I'm sure I'll have questions after the bike comes in next week and I make a fresh start on a healthier lifestyle.

SSTX
Old 07-07-12, 04:04 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Howdy SSTX,

Welcome to Bike Forums.

I have the same problems as you.
Started riding 5 years ago.

You did good on the new bike, with the exception of the flat bars.

What gearing did you get on the bike?

Look as you have some hills in your area.

Got in 58 mies today.

Old 07-07-12, 04:22 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome to the forum! Keep us updated with reports on your progress!
Old 07-07-12, 04:56 PM

Bikes: '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '88 Trek 400T, '88 Diamondback Ascent EX, '56 Raleigh Superbe, '73/60 Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Been back riding about 3 years now, it has helped my hip feel better.
Old 07-07-12, 06:02 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Welcome to 50+ and BF, you'll find plenty of company in returning to cycling. Have fun and ride safely.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 07-07-12, 06:06 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Welcome to 50+ and welcome back to cycling.
Have you started thinking yet about what your next bike will be?
Old 07-07-12, 08:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all, I appreciate the welcome. I chose a Hybrid or Fitness style bike on purpose, in deference to a road bike, as I need something initially to build my stamina rather than entertain long distance riding. Actually, the best advice I got on choosing the bike came from this website.........I didn't choose the bike, I chose the dealer and then selected from among their products. They'll actually be ordering the Scott on Monday, so I'll know then if they can actually get their hands on the Scott I want........2nd choice is a Specialized Sirrus. I looked at the Trek 7.2FX at the other LBS in town, but they didn't give me the warm fuzzies like the folks I'm using did.

10 Wheels, other than the Scott has an extra, 8th gear on the crankset I don't know the ratios......and we do have some hills here as opposed to your terrain - I know 'cause my old hometown is Lake Jackson. JanMM........yes, I have thought about the next bike........probably a Specialized mountain bike, a 29er........once I get in some kind of shape. Or maybe a dedicated road bike. Or maybe both..........LOL.

SSTX

Last edited by SSTX; 07-07-12 at 08:45 PM. Reason: 'cause I kant spel gud....
Old 07-07-12, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like you're off to a start. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 07-07-12, 08:49 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Originally Posted by SSTX
Thanks all, I appreciate the welcome. I chose a Hybrid or Fitness style bike on purpose, in deference to a road bike, as I need something initially to build my stamina rather than entertain long distance riding. Actually, the best advice I got on choosing the bike came from this website.........I didn't choose the bike, I chose the dealer and then selected from among their products. They'll actually be ordering the Scott on Monday, so I'll know then if they can actually get their hands on the Scott I want........2nd choice is a Specialized Sirrus. I looked at the Trek 7.2FX at the other LBS in town, but they didn't give me the warm fuzzies like the folks I'm using did.

10 Wheels, other than the Scott has an extra, 8th gear on the crankset I don't know the ratios......and we do have some hills here as opposed to your terrain - I know 'cause my old hometown is Lake Jackson. JanMM........yes, I have thought about the next bike........probably a Specialized mountain bike, a 29er........once I get in some kind of shape. Or maybe a dedicated road bike. Or maybe both..........LOL.

SSTX
You did good. Have many fun rides with your wife and friends.

Old 07-08-12, 07:27 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
.yes, I have thought about the next bike........probably a Specialized mountain bike, a 29er........once I get in some kind of shape. Or maybe a dedicated road bike. Or maybe both..........LOL. SSTX
Atta boy!
Old 07-08-12, 07:41 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Welcome to 50+ and welcome back to cycling.
Have you started thinking yet about what your next bike will be?
Be careful. This guy is going to try to talk you into getting a recumbent.

Old 07-08-12, 08:09 AM

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome, SSTX. You will find a lot of great advice and encouragement here in the 50+ forum.

The Metrix 40 looks like a great bike. I often read posts in this and other sub-forums from riders who love their Scott bikes. Good luck--I hope you are able to reach your fitness goals.

...and am dealing with the beginnings of arthritis in my left hip....
I, too, have the beginnings of arthritis on one of my hips (my right). I started cycling in April of last year, and I have seen dramatic improvement in how my hip feels and functions. The only real problems I have on the bike is mounting and dismounting the bike. I have to tilt the bike at a 45 degree angle in order to swing my right leg over the saddle. Once on the bike, as long as my form is good, I don't experience any pain from the hip while pedaling.
Old 07-08-12, 08:23 AM
Semper Fi

Be sure to post pictures of you new bicycle, which ever brand you choose, here so we can drool over it. A first ride report would be nice and tell us what kind of PIE you had after the ride. Best of luck!

Bill

Last edited by qcpmsame; 07-08-12 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-08-12, 11:59 AM
NewKidInTown

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I have thought about the next bike........probably a Specialized mountain bike, a 29er........once I get in some kind of shape. Or maybe a dedicated road bike. Or maybe both..........LOL.

SSTX
Hi SSTX!

Congratulations - you seem to have started the N+2 club. Spouses of many members of 50+ are already sticking pins in voodoo dolls they have just made in your image. Enjoy your notoriety . . .

But don't worry, some of us will give you cover stories to say it was somebody else's idea
Old 07-08-12, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Hi SSTX, welcome back! Since nobody's done it, let me suggest riding with a group. They will be a great source of help, encouragement, camaraderie, and advice, as you become fitter. Find a nice "coffee ride" to start with.

Second, let me suggest getting your heart checked out really well. You don't want to celebrate getting in shape by dying. Your family will not appreciate that. Just explain to your PCP what's up and get a Cardio referral.

Jon (turning 51 on Tuesday).
Old 07-08-12, 03:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mucho good advice, again. I just had my 6-month checkup at my PCP about 3 weeks ago, and discussed starting this with her, she's all for it. I will discuss a cardio checkout with her next week, that's a good idea. I've had a nuclear cardio checkout before, but it was about 4 years ago, and all was well.

I actually started riding yesterday, borrowed my neighbor's Specialized Sirrus....he and I are almost identical in stature and weight (I'm house-sitting for him while they're on vacation for a week, so I get to use his bike and zero turn mower in exchange for doing his yard and keeping his dog). This morning I became re-acquainted with muscles and tendons I'd forgotten about. A couple of Ibuprofin, and it was off for a 3 mile morning ride with a couple of mild hills. Felt good when I got back, am picking up the art of shifting really fast..........and I LOVE RIDING AGAIN! I have noted a couple of things - like Krait mentioned above, I have to tilt the bike to mount it because of limited range of motion in my hip. Also, I'll work on my individual fitness for a couple of weeks before joining a group. My LBS has several gatherings per week that I can join, and I intend to. Finally, I'll have to figure something out about seating as I'm starting to get the feeling I'm about to re-experience monkey behind like I did on a dirt bike in the summer. I'm just riding in cargo shorts for now, so some compression shorts seem to be in order.

Having some afternoon showers here now, so when they clear out I'll be able to have a nice evening ride. Still haven't figured out whether you folks are referring to the fruit kind of pie, or the other kind....

SSTX

Last edited by SSTX; 07-08-12 at 03:06 PM. Reason: ETA
Old 07-08-12, 04:43 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Great going out there. Don't pay any attention to those out there who talk about pie. They are just trouble makers for those of us that have to watch out cute little waist lines.
Old 07-08-12, 07:05 PM
Semper Fi

Go ahead and get some riding shorts with a chamois in the crotch. These and if needed some chamois cream like DZ Nuts or Bag Balm will help keep the monkey butt at bay. Even the old stand-by for us dirt bikers, Monkey Butt cream will work great. Best of luck.

Bill

Old 07-09-12, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Go ahead and get some riding shorts with a chamois in the crotch. These and if needed some chamois cream like DZ Nuts or Bag Balm will help keep the monkey butt at bay. Even the old stand-by for us dirt bikers, Monkey Butt cream will work great. Best of luck.

Bill
I ride ~300K/week, and can vouch for the padded shorts. Don't skimp on these. Even if you find yourself laying out some money. My most comfy pair cost $350 from Assos and was worth it. that's not even their top of the line! Since I turned 40 I can't ride regular shorts, only bibbers, because the elastic waistband is uncomfortable. Keep scrupulously clean down there and you won't need any creams or anything. Do not re-use shorts without washing, and never wear the same pair twice in a row.

Jon
Old 07-09-12, 11:48 AM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
...I know 'cause my old hometown is Lake Jackson...

SSTX
My old hometown is Clute, for what that's worth (Brazoswood Class of '79).

I've done the Beauty and the Beast Ride in Tyler, but it's been a while.
Old 07-09-12, 04:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
My old hometown is Clute, for what that's worth (Brazoswood Class of '79).

I've done the Beauty and the Beast Ride in Tyler, but it's been a while.
Small world, ain't it.....B'wood Class of '78!

Good riding shorts are definately on my list.......had good rides yesterday PM and this AM. Sprinkling now so I'll probably ride after 7pm. Didn't have any pie, but had some cookies.............they were sugar-free.....

SSTX
Old 07-09-12, 05:03 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Small world, ain't it.....B'wood Class of '78!

Good riding shorts are definately on my list.......had good rides yesterday PM and this AM. Sprinkling now so I'll probably ride after 7pm. Didn't have any pie, but had some cookies.............they were sugar-free.....

SSTX
Incidentally, don't let sprinkles stop you. It is nice riding in a few sprinkles. Not in downpours, though. I got caught today in sprinkles and lightning (just a few). Fun!!
Old 07-10-12, 08:59 AM

Bikes: Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started riding 4 yrs ago when I was 66 First ride was 4 miles and it nearly killed me. Now at 70 I'm riding 150 miles a week and feeling better than I did at 50. Riding with a group works for me. It's no longer about whether I feel like riding today (although these days I always want to ride) but people are expecting me and the harder they push me the stronger I get
Old 07-10-12, 01:56 PM

Bikes: 1983 Trek 620, 2010 Roubaix

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
WTTB (welcome to the board).

You and I are on similar trajectories -- I started riding in the mid 1980's, rode fairly regularly until ~1994. From then until earlier this year I might have ridden once or twice.

And the weight gain... BTDT too. I've been fortunate to miss the diabetes though.

Then after sevreral years of griping about my weight decided to do something about it this year; I'm down ~55 lb so far and have another ~20 to go.

I'm in my late fifties now so I'm a few years ahead of you.

I started slow (~3 miles, flat) and worked up to ~200 miles/month - and loving it.

Weight loss (for me) requires more exercise AND calorie control; there are many web- and phone-based calorie counters; I like My Fitness Pall but there are many good ones.

So good luck... you are on the right path.

-Tom in SoCal
Old 07-10-12, 05:16 PM
Semper Fi

The PIE references is just that, we love PIE. The perfect post ride food! Of course you have Pi(e) day, March 14 of every year. Blueberry is an internationally recognized favorite (especially with Miss Kenton's New Jersey blueberries) but the council of Elders here will approve most types. Mine is Key Lime, followed by Apple and Pecan. Our moto here at 50+ is Dulces Ex Experis, look it up (through adversity sweetness) it fits us perfectly. Hope the riding is going well for you.

Bill

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.