Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Search
Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-14, 10:01 AM
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
The lack of centerline enforcement was my biggest gripe last year, I guess some things don't change. The two different race bibles with different points schedules wasn't great either.
Old 03-03-14, 06:59 PM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Getting into more intensity. Today's workout was 3x[4x45 sec] speed intervals, 45 seconds RBI, two minutes RBS, each set preceded by a ten second stomp. My coach and I hadn't discussed a power level for these, so I decided to do them at ~130% of FTP.

I was still a bit gunshy about this kind of stuff, since it had kicked my ass numerous times in the past. Not today, though. I sailed through them, could've done another set. Of course, this probably means I didn't go hard enough...but it still felt good to be able to do this as scheduled. 1:06, TSS 88, IF .89

Demain, on roule!
Old 03-03-14, 11:28 PM
Resident Alien

It's great to read when there's those break through moments.
Old 03-04-14, 09:14 AM
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
My tail was between my legs yesterday for a good while after I received the final LTHR results from Matt Larson. Well, thanks to coach and many friends, and several of you wonderful folks here, I got back on track. Once again - the mental highs and lows in this sport. I am having a harder time coping with them at times than the physical stress. Getting there!
Old 03-04-14, 10:12 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
After a rest day yesterday, it was back to the cycling gym for a roller workout. I have my TT bike and road bike there so I did my first 20 minute session on my road bike and then switched to the TT bike and did 3 x team pursuit efforts with complete recovery between efforts. When that was finished, I went back to the road bike for some max power one minute intervals. My next race is LAVRA at Velo Sports Center on Sunday and then it is off to Tucson, AZ for a 5 day camp.

Most of the attendees at the camp competed at road nationals. Does anyone know where I can buy a visa for Offthebackistan?
Old 03-04-14, 10:13 PM
Version 7.0

AZT, do I need a visa for Offthebackistan in Arizona or can I just enter? I think you know.
Old 03-04-14, 10:38 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hermes, you will be welcomed into Offthebakistan, AZ without a visa. But, like Hotel California, leaving is an entirely different thing.
Old 03-04-14, 10:43 PM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did the training crit tonight, with instructions to "race like you mean it". Missed the break of Cat 1's, but otherwise felt like throwing a party, because it was.

I was there at the end, for the first time in, well, a looonnnggg time. I eased to the outside with 1.5 to go because we don't do a real finish, and it is a really mixed field. No reason to be in the pack fighting it out with that crowd.

Edit: Teammate there watching his kid yelled that we had been nailing it, and the numbers bear that out: 26mph average (with a bit of elevation gain); 288w NP.

Last edited by AzTallRider; 03-04-14 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-04-14, 10:52 PM
Idiot Emeritus

20 minutes of pace and then three form sprints. This was the first time on the ROAD since the bike fit! The new shoes are, umm, tight. I'm not so sure I want to wear them in the road race Sunday. They need to break in some. The fit feels good, how good, I don't know, but definitely better. My pedal stroke is noticeably smoother, and I "feel it" all the way around the circle. Coach is keeping it light this week due to the stage race this coming weekend. Silly me has entered another road race the following weekend. Where are the crits? I need crits, not road races. Oh - TSS 60, cadence 79 (some climbing).
Old 03-04-14, 11:30 PM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like you made some great changes, Sara. And shoes. Don't even talk to me about shoes...
Old 03-04-14, 11:55 PM
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by AzTallRider
Hermes, you will be welcomed into Offthebakistan, AZ without a visa. But, like Hotel California, leaving is an entirely different thing.
At least it is not the Roach Motel...they go in but never come out.
Old 03-05-14, 08:51 AM
Idiot Emeritus

AzT, here's hoping the changes at least help a little!

Offthebakistan. I visit there often. I've never needed a visa. Yet.
Old 03-05-14, 12:09 PM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is where I stand on my comeback. The grey reflects where I was before the first crash in January '13. The purple is from the September crash to now. Thanks to excellent coaching, I've been narrowing the gap quickly lately. Goal is to get the purple higher than the grey.

Old 03-05-14, 07:55 PM
Resident Alien

Here is where I stand on my comeback. Goal is to race well which will be helped by getting the purple up to the grey though considering I won and just missed a second win last weekend I can't complain
Astute.

Haven't ridden since Saturday. So it goes.
Old 03-05-14, 08:15 PM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can (and do) count on you to apply the proper context!
Old 03-05-14, 10:56 PM
Idiot Emeritus

The purple will rule. And soon.
Old 03-05-14, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is where I stand on my comeback. The grey reflects where I was before the first crash in January '13. The purple is from the September crash to now. Thanks to excellent coaching, I've been narrowing the gap quickly lately. Goal is to get the purple higher than the grey.
sometimes when the purple is lower than the grey, we hyper-focus on other things (like being efficient) -- meaning that purple < grey does not have to mean you have any reduced chances of winning a given race.

glad to hear of your improvements, though. that is satisfying!
Old 03-05-14, 11:09 PM
Idiot Emeritus

Recovery on the TT bike today. I discovered, to my dismay, that the Wheelbuilders disc cover I have for the OpenPro/PowerTap wheel doesn't quite fit the updated PowerTap hub. The freewheel is spaced a little closer to the hub, and the non drive side battery cover is shaped differently. It fits on that side, but not quite right. On the drive side, the chain will rub on the clam shell on the largest cog. Solution for now is don't use the largest cog. I'll call AWB next week and see if they can mod the drive side clam shell a little. Anyway, the ride - I'm very comfortable on the TT bike. I'm sure Ex will tweak my position on it when he gets a chance to, but it's working for me pretty well right now. I took it easy, my TSS was 28 for 1:06. My first TT of the year is Saturday afternoon after a crit in the morning. That's going to be a test, oh me of the low FTP! Oh, well. No expectations, The season is early, yet.
Old 03-07-14, 10:34 AM
Version 7.0

Attended a 4PM racer session with Roger Young last night at Velo Sports Center. I saw Cleave momentarily at 7PM as he rode by my locker on his track bike with a large back pack and hustled down to the floor as Roger was calling for the fast guys to line up at the balustrade.

After the warmup, I did two flying one lap accelerations (as hard as I could go) and followed that up with 4x1 flying laps with Roger leading me out on the motor from the balustrade. I did these in the pursuit position.
Old 03-07-14, 02:48 PM
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Flying acceleration in the pursuit position -- interesting.

Yesterday's intervals included 1 min in Z4 (5 zone system) after 1 min in Z2. I am still training on the track with my TT setup so I was having to accelerate in the pursuit position. The accelerations to Z4 recruited some different muscles.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 03-07-14, 02:50 PM
Version 7.0

I do the 500 in the acrobars.
Old 03-07-14, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sara, you can mod the wheel cover yourself with scissors and tape. I had different issues (nds touching frame) and did some pretty aggressive chopping, and got it to work. If the new hub is bigger, cut out the hole a little. If that doesn't work trim the edge tiny tiny bit. Next step is cutting the full radius to make it lie closer.

My drive side rubs in the big cog too, but only when coasting... So it's easy to avoid. Why would you ever coast in a tt especially in the big cog?

Good luck tomorrow!
Old 03-08-14, 09:07 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trying to get ready for my first race on the 22nd. It's a gravel road that takes around two hours. Training time on the road has been limited. Got out on a nice day yesterday for 2 hrs in 37 degree temps. Today was some sprint intervals and Z3 block riding the fixie. It was not nice in any way today. The last hill before my street was ugly with the ice covered 50 lb bike. Too tired, too big gear, slush covered street and a car that almost took me out when it passed me on the left even though I was near the centerline signaling a left turn onto my street.

Old 03-08-14, 09:08 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great report and news AZTR!!!
Old 03-08-14, 09:24 PM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Rouge-Roubaix tomorrow. After having been off the bike since Tuesday, I rode for an hour today and did some openers. Looks like I over-did it, ended up with a .95 IF. Had what was probably the worst spaghetti dinner of my life tonight. Still, I'm about as ready as possible. Good weather predicted for the race. The report will have to wait for Monday due to travel.

Demain, on roule!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.