Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Search
Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-14, 02:43 PM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Headache came back yesterday. Back again today. Called the hospital and was told to keep pushing fluids and if it gets worse in the next few days to come in. Just took an pain pill. This sucks.
Damn. Might those fluids include whisky and/or whiskey? The pain would lessen, though I question the long-term effects.

Demain, on roule!
Old 04-14-14, 03:07 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
Headache came back yesterday. Back again today. Called the hospital and was told to keep pushing fluids and if it gets worse in the next few days to come in. Just took an pain pill. This sucks.
From Johns Hopkins website.

The most common side effect from this procedure is a headache, and this head ache can be quite severe and last days after the spinal tap. In order to minimize the chance of a headache developing you should restrict all activity for the day of the myelogram. The longer you rest in bed, the less likely you will have this very bad headache. If your headache lasts more than 24 hours call us at 410-955-7432 and we may suggest you get an epidural blood patch which will relieve your headache quickly. This can be done at JHH or any nearby medical facility.
Old 04-14-14, 03:52 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,734 Times in 2,758 Posts
No good, Racer Ex.
Old 04-14-14, 03:59 PM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by rapwithtom
Yeah, I'll be there...I'm 80% stoked to be racing, and 80% hating the the narrow but otherwise featureless course.

I'm waiting for the guy who keeps logging 100+ mile rides to just ride off the front...

Or a different perspective: we've got such a range of abilities that certainly the top 10 guys could, with just a wee bit o tactics, get up the road by themselves...but no that'll never happen in our group.

I'll likely go pre-ride tomorrow.
I wasn't sure if I wanted to do the 45+ or the 55+, but I'm sure we could work something in. The team does have some strong old fellers on it, so I'm kind of at their mercy.

Originally Posted by IBOHUNT
Interesting. So that's what it looks like up front. Never been there
Then you get to ride with guys like the fellow on the Moots. He worried me.

Originally Posted by Cleave
valygrl, LAJ, rapwithtom, I don't understand these road race courses that have gravel sections. Don't we have a segment of this sport called cyclocross?

Last week I was on my racing-is-the-best-training program.
I don't know why they do that, to be honest. One is incredibly steep, this one is rough and loose, and the one a few weeks ago was the best of the three.

Good job on your plan.
Old 04-14-14, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
I wasn't sure if I wanted to do the 45+ or the 55+, but I'm sure we could work something in. The team does have some strong old fellers on it, so I'm kind of at their mercy.
I think when you learn how to take advantage of your strength you're going to be dangerous.

Originally Posted by LAJ
I don't know why they do that, to be honest. One is incredibly steep, this one is rough and loose, and the one a few weeks ago was the best of the three.
By "the steep one" I'm guessing you are referring to the Koppenburg race. That course was chosen specifically as an homage to the Belgian spring classics...I think the race used to be in April but over time it's changed. (FYI, the Koppenburg race is a circuit race with a 5 or 6 mile loop, with about 1 mile dirt, and in that dirt section is a 75 yard stretch which is at I guess 10 or 15% grade).

The other road race courses have dirt on them simply because Colorado race promoters are desperate to find road race courses they can afford. Every start time already requires a moto cop, which cost I can't remember but a couple of hundred dollars per hour. On top of that, counties have sheriff requirements when you're having an event on a county road; cities may have similar additional burdens for city roads, and state highways definitely require highway patrol. Hence the search for suitable roads close to Denver/Boulder which have minimal requirements for policing leads quickly to the boonies with dirt segments.

Promoting a road race in Colorado is very tough right now - nobody is making any money doing it. That's why our road races are getting to be fewer and fewer. Some promoters have said screw the ACA groupings I'm going to pack the fields densely so I can hopefully not lose my shirt, while other (former) race promoters have just walked away.

Hence the preponderance of office park crits. And also why it's so much cheaper to put on a CX race, where all you have to do is borrow somebody's field.

I'm long-term bearish on this problem; for small-market race environments like Colorado, I see the economics for promoting road races only getting more challenging.
Old 04-14-14, 05:31 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Damn.
Old 04-14-14, 05:32 PM
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
You should have the promoters talk to auto tracks like High Plains and Aspen. Also SCCA looks like they do some airport courses. Not road races but something different from industrial park crits.

Headache better when I go horizintal. If it's not gone by tomorrow I'll hit the urgent care. In the mean time I am going to have a Manhatten.
Old 04-14-14, 05:42 PM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
TallWife's sister is officially wed, an amazing French Quarter Festival is officially over, and we head home tomorrow. Going to take some time to detox from the foods and wine, but I'll do a couple of hours of pace in late afternoon to burn some of it off.

Continuing the 'race to have fun' approach for what is left of our season, while layering in some distance. i'm craving that. I need some lonesome 'zen miles', out of the city, just me, the heat, and the road, stimulating my dopamine levels and building a strong base for next year. I plan to be ready to attack at the whistle of the first crit in January, and make something of it. The days of the pack letting me take a flyer are officially over.
Old 04-14-14, 05:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
TallWife's sister is officially wed, an amazing French Quarter Festival is officially over, and we head home tomorrow. Going to take some time to detox from the foods and wine, but I'll do a couple of hours of pace in late afternoon to burn some of it off.

Continuing the 'race to have fun' approach for what is left of our season, while layering in some distance. i'm craving that. I need some lonesome 'zen miles', out of the city, just me, the heat, and the road, stimulating my dopamine levels and building a strong base for next year. I plan to be ready to attack at the whistle of the first crit in January, and make something of it. The days of the pack letting me take a flyer are officially over.
Nice!

The pack lets me take a flyer whenever I want. It really pisses me off!
Old 04-14-14, 06:04 PM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
AzTR - And you're getting a reminder of what cold rain feels like thanks to the weather tonight. Remember that in Phoenix!

Demain, on roule!
Old 04-14-14, 06:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should have the promoters talk to auto tracks like High Plains and Aspen. Also SCCA looks like they do some airport courses. Not road races but something different from industrial park crits.
Yeah it would be great if we could get some track time. I know in the past that promoters have sought these out; I don't know why it has never worked out. I'm a little envious of the Austin and Portland scenes with their regular weeknight events on a track.
Old 04-14-14, 07:33 PM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Our state crit was on an auto track, and one other race was held earlier in the season at the same track - slight variations in the course are possible there. Not sure how the economics worked out. Anytime you start closing roads in Arizona, the sponsor is almost guaranteed a loss. Ours, in its second year, lost 4K. Same weekend as the Phoenix Tour de Cure.
Old 04-14-14, 07:47 PM
LAJ
So it is

Thank you rwt. Your explanation makes total sense. Last weeks race at the AF Academy was the type of race folks around the country think we do, day in and day out, I think. It's a shame it's an anomaly. Though not my cup of tea, it is quite the animal.

I look around and wonder why promoters don't make money, just doing some quick cyphering in my head. Breaking it down, it makes more sense.
Old 04-14-14, 07:50 PM
LAJ
So it is

Awesome on the wedding, AzTR. Good it went off OK.

There's a lot to be said about zen miles.
Old 04-14-14, 09:43 PM
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
AzTR, sounds like a great time. Been to New Orleans a few times but not in over a decade. We all need Zen miles, racer or not.

LAJ, I saw the World Road Championship at the Air Force Academy in the 1980s. That course looked like it was pretty hard -- especially with the altitude.

We used to have races at a local, short oval, Irwindale Speedway. I never raced there but friends said it was a lot of fun. I keep thinking we should try to promote a race there again as a change of pace if nothing else.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 04-15-14, 06:28 AM

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts

Headache better when I go horizintal. If it's not gone by tomorrow I'll hit the urgent care. In the mean time I am going to have a Manhatten.
Double crap
Old 04-15-14, 06:57 AM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have a race at a local stock car track once or twice a year. We cut through the paddock road so it's not just a big banked oval. The banking sounds like a lot of fun but the short and fast way around the course is on the flat apron. If you're up there you better have a good reason to be up there.
Old 04-15-14, 07:13 AM

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Got 4.1 miles of ru**i*g in yesterday. Today is just rain with temps dropping to below freezing the next two nights
Mother Nature is one menopausal, um 'person'
Old 04-15-14, 09:10 AM
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
We have "free rides" (well, it's $10.00) on Tuesday nights on the Laguna Seca Raceway. Different clubs from around NorCal take turns sponsoring those events. It's sort of a "run what you brung", but there are some impromptu races held during the events. The only sanctioned races I know of on the track are the Sea Otter races. However, I don't see any reason why someone else couldn't hold a circuit race or crit out there sometime during the season.
Old 04-15-14, 09:24 AM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by Cleave
LAJ, I saw the World Road Championship at the Air Force Academy in the 1980s. That course looked like it was pretty hard -- especially with the altitude.
Cleave, it was brutal. Wind, fast kids, snow, climbing, it had it all. I don't care if I ever see that course again.

Pretty sure I'll be doing it again next year.
Old 04-16-14, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ
Cleave, it was brutal. Wind, fast kids, snow, climbing, it had it all. I don't care if I ever see that course again.

Pretty sure I'll be doing it again next year.

So how long was that decision process?
Old 04-16-14, 11:11 PM
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I.
Road.
Today.

In honor of the Spring Classics I did some Roubaix like cobbles...wanted to stress the wheelset I just built. Needed some Loctite on the non-drive side and learned a few other things for next time but the front didn't blink nor did the drive side spokes.

But mostly after nearly three weeks off sick I rode today.

Doing a practice crit with one of my ahletes tomorrow, nuerodoc visit Friday to review the myelogram findings, and I shall race Sunday.

In prior years I would be fretting a lot more about fitness, lost hours, Etc. Maybe next year. For now just happy to be up on two wheels.

Heal up everyone.
Old 04-17-14, 05:42 AM
LAJ
So it is

Heal up everyone.
Yes. Good to see you got out, Racer Ex.
Old 04-17-14, 05:44 AM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by IBOHUNT

So how long was that decision process?
I'm pretty sure it was being decided as I was loading my bike into my truck during the snow storm.
Old 04-17-14, 08:10 AM
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Ex....wonderful!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.