Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Need help deciding between two starter bikes!

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 07-13-12, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all!

I haven't ridden in a while but always loved it. I'm going to start riding again and almost made the mistake of buying a schwinn or Denali from Target. Visited a couple local bike shops and narrowed my choices down to the following:
Giant Escape 2 for $419
Raleigh Cadent FT0 for $450

Will I notice any real difference between the two? Visually, the Raleigh is much more appealing but I've heard SO many good things about the Escape. I also cannot find much literature online about the Raleigh model I've selected but the owner of the bike store said he loves it. ANY help is greatly appreciated!

Thank You!
Shaun
Old 07-13-12, 05:15 PM

Bikes: Spesh Sirrus Pro, 2 x Scott and 1 X Giant mtb's

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I notice you're being ignored... like me
This is a strange planet we're most people who read posts seem to have own their heads right up their ....
Look down the list of posts that have zero response...then compare this to the posts who have the most responses

I'm off permanenty btw

Why not post something about train spotting - you'll get millions of replies
Old 07-13-12, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andcb
I notice you're being ignored... like me
This is a strange planet we're most people who read posts seem to have own their heads right up their ....
Look down the list of posts that have zero response...then compare this to the posts who have the most responses

I'm off permanenty btw

Why not post something about train spotting - you'll get millions of replies
Lol it hasn't even been an hour since he posted this... It's Friday, people might be working, or out riding their bikes! I'm a newb myself otherwise I would try to help...
Old 07-13-12, 05:25 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Siege
Hello all!

I haven't ridden in a while but always loved it. I'm going to start riding again and almost made the mistake of buying a schwinn or Denali from Target. Visited a couple local bike shops and narrowed my choices down to the following:
Giant Escape 2 for $419

Will I notice any real difference between the two? Visually, the Raleigh is much more appealing but I've heard SO many good things about the Escape. I also cannot find much literature online about the Raleigh model I've selected but the owner of the bike store said he loves it. ANY help is greatly appreciated!

Thank You!
Shaun
The only person who is really qualified to answer that particular question is you. Have done any test rides on either of them yet?

I've been attracted to the Escape line ever since it came out a couple of years. I just saw my first Raleigh FT1 in person a couple of weeks back. I'm attracted to the Raleigh for a different reason than the Giant.
Old 07-13-12, 05:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
The only person who is really qualified to answer that particular question is you. Have done any test rides on either of them yet?

I've been attracted to the Escape line ever since it came out a couple of years. I just saw my first Raleigh FT1 in person a couple of weeks back. I'm attracted to the Raleigh for a different reason than the Giant.
It's quite alright. I'm working in an ER until late tonight but I'll be making the purchase early in the AM. Any input before then will be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-13-12, 05:57 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
The Escape has the better value.

The Raleigh will give a bit sportier ride, based upon the geometry and closer gear ratios. The Giant will be more stable if carrying a heavy load on a rear rack and has bit wider gear ratio for hills or hauling a load.

If at all possible, do the test rides before pulling out your wallet.
Old 07-13-12, 07:44 PM
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome To Bike Forums, Seige!

Both of these bikes are great bikes! Though a better comparison with the Escape, would be with the FT1. As you will notice that the Escape is an 8 speed, while the FT0 is a 7 speed. Also the FT0 has an Altus rear derailleur, whereas the Escape has Sram X4. Sram X4 is considered to be better than Altus of Shimano. Sram X4 is closer to Acera or perhaps even Alivio.

Therefore, I would expect the Escape to be slightly faster and just a touch smoother in transition.

Last edited by SlimRider; 07-13-12 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-13-12, 08:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great advice! I am slowly learning everything I need to know but I have no idea about individual components. Ultimately it'll come down to whether I can talk the guy down on the price of the ft0 to match the escape and how good each test feels. I have to drive across town to test each one unfortunately but I really fell in love with the Raleigh at first glance, and didn't feel a particular affinity towards the escape when I was in the shop. Normally my brain sides with the better value, but the Raleigh is so slick looking.

Edit- I really appreciate the warm welcome. And the more I think about it, the more I anticipate the possible extra 4-5 mph on the escape being a selling point for me. I pictured the raleigh as slightly faster for some reason.

Last edited by Siege; 07-13-12 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-13-12, 08:26 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great advice! I am slowly learning everything I need to know but I have no idea about individual components. Ultimately it'll come down to whether I can talk the guy down on the price of the ft0 to match the escape and how good each test feels. I have to drive across town to test each one unfortunately but I really fell in love with the Raleigh at first glance, and didn't feel a particular affinity towards the escape when I was in the shop. Normally my brain sides with the better value, but the Raleigh is so slick looking.
Much of selecting a bicycle reminds me of selecting a girlfriend. Your brain usually goes one way, but your heart goes another. So much of everything in love and bikes involves affairs of the heart and feelings. Like I could never be satisfied with a red or yellow bicycle. I will always prefer carbon or steel, to aluminum. I don't like 7 speeds. Now as we all know, these little things shouldn't matter, but to me, they do...

PS.

It's so nice when both the brain and the heart become one.

Last edited by SlimRider; 07-13-12 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-13-12, 09:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I notice the Escape advertises high PSI puncture resistant tires. Are these significantly better than the Raleigh tires?

Last edited by Siege; 07-13-12 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-13-12, 09:44 PM

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you like both almost equally, think of which LBS is nicer and likely to treat you better.
Old 07-13-12, 10:23 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I notice the Escape advertises high PSI puncture resistant tires. Are these significantly better than the Raleigh tires?
Usually puncture rersistant tires have either more layers or thicker layers. This means that they are usually heavier. However, they also generally have a greater PSI value, which lowers their rolling resistance.

For commuting and touring, a puncture resistant tire is more important than when racing or speeding along on a road bike. You'd expect to see more puncture resistant tires on hybirds, MTN bikes, and touring bikes, due to the increase in mass.

Last edited by SlimRider; 07-14-12 at 04:36 AM.
Old 07-13-12, 11:52 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Edit- I really appreciate the warm welcome. And the more I think about it, the more I anticipate the possible extra 4-5 mph on the escape being a selling point for me. I pictured the raleigh as slightly faster for some reason.
1. How did you come to this conclusion in speed?
2. It's possibly the geometry and the internally routed cables.
Old 07-14-12, 01:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Fit is more important than looks :-) If the bike doesn't fit you well, you won't ride it. But yes, I know what you mean about falling in love with a bike! I recommend test riding both of them. Here's some advice for test rides. First, make sure both bikes have tires inflated to the same PSI. A tire which is inflated to lower PSI will have a smoother ride than one inflated to max PSI. You want to compare the two bikes, not tire inflation :-) Also, take a long enough test ride to use ALL THE GEARS! You'll get some idea of how smooth the shifting mechanism is and learn if they are adjusted properly. You also get a feel for how close the gears are. The Escape has a larger rear cassette and the gear spacings are going to be greater. My hybrid has an 11-34 cassette and the gear spacings are too large for my comfort. The 11-28 I have is perfect. I've never ridden an 11-32 cassette so I don't know if the spacing is on the large side or not. The 21-26 and 26-32 on the 11-32 are really large spacing. Test ride them both and pick the one you like. The two bikes have pretty similar specs and you won't go wrong with either one.

11-32 (11-12-14-16-18-21-26-32 teeth)
12-28 12,14,15,18,21,24,28
Old 07-14-12, 07:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh felt great. A guy walked in as I was gettin ready to buy it and said "Oh I bought one of those last year, really great bike - I love it." Hopped on for a test ride and it felt made for me. Bought it on the spot.

Last edited by Siege; 07-14-12 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-14-12, 11:22 PM

Congrats! w00t! Pics and a ride report!
Old 07-15-12, 01:24 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeeaaay for Siege and his new Raleigh Cadent

Congrats Seige!

PS.

Which FT did you get?
Old 07-16-12, 11:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went with the FT0 since this is literally my first real bike and I need to work on my endurance. I bought it as much for fitness as for fun. And here it is sitting in my driveway!

https://imgur.com/MxV4H

I've had about 3 solid days of riding, probably about 5-6 total hours and the ride is amazing. My girlfriend bought a Route 3.0 with skinny tires and she can't keep up with me at all, so we're going to have to figure something out since she can't really return the bike and get a performance hybrid.

Old 07-16-12, 12:23 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I went with the FT0 since this is literally my first real bike and I need to work on my endurance. I bought it as much for fitness as for fun. And here it is sitting in my driveway!

I've had about 3 solid days of riding, probably about 5-6 total hours and the ride is amazing. My girlfriend bought a Route 3.0 with skinny tires and she can't keep up with me at all, so we're going to have to figure something out since she can't really return the bike and get a performance hybrid.

Figure out how fast and far she wants to ride. Then before she starts out, you take off on a solo ride and go as fast and as far as you like. Then meet back up with her and use her pace as a 'recovery ride'.
Old 07-16-12, 01:07 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OMG! She's beautiful!!!
Old 07-16-12, 04:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
OMG! She's beautiful!!!
Yeah that is precisely why I couldn't bring to get the Escape 2 over the Raleigh. So pretty. The 2012 model's color scheme is not nearly as attractive.

Originally Posted by no1mad
Figure out how fast and far she wants to ride. Then before she starts out, you take off on a solo ride and go as fast and as far as you like. Then meet back up with her and use her pace as a 'recovery ride'.
I really like that idea and I'm sure she will too, thanks!

Last edited by Siege; 07-16-12 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-17-12, 12:06 AM

That's a great looking bike and the color very nice. Too many black and dark bikes. You and your gf will have a lot of happy rides together. You can go slower when riding together so that you don't lose her :-)
Old 07-17-12, 09:25 AM

Bikes: Giant Escape 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all!

Giant Escape 2 for $419

Thank You!
Shaun
I just picked up an Escape 2, did 13mi my first day. I would say it would be a good choice, the price is also a little less if you look around..