Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Is there a magic temperature limit for human body?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-12, 08:37 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

I generally don't mind the heat on a bike, and actually prefer hot days on the golf course. But last week I took the SS out for my normal workout ride (28+mi with as many hills as I can find in the Chi burbs). I had to cut it off and head home (<15 mi) because I felt like death was imminent. I barely made it onto the back patio and collapsed in the shade for 10 min before I could get up. It was mid day, 103 actual, and 110++ heat index. Tried again the next day (only 94) and felt strong the whole way. Charged the hills and even tacked on 5+ as an easy spin down.

Seems like somewhere between 94 and 103 is a hard barrier for me. Doesn't seem to be linear. Cross that barrier and the body wants to shut down. Weird.
Old 07-18-12, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Haven't had a problem with heat and riding, fortunately, but I get terrible calf cramps at night when I walk the golf course at temps above 93 or so. 90 is never a problem, 95 causes brutal problems.
Old 07-18-12, 08:48 AM

Bikes: 2011 Steamroller; 1998 Cannondale F-400; 1981 Motobecane Jubilee Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was in the Marine Corps and was indoctrinated in the flag system described on this site.

https://www.zunis.org/how_hot_is_hot_...fe_is_safe.htm

It's all about being able to regulate your body temp. in the heat.

How Safe Is Safe?A Few Dry Bulb Temperatures For Your Consideration:
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]212°
[/TD]
[TD="width: 844"]Boiling point of water
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 61, bgcolor: #ff8000"]200°-
175°
[/TD]
[TD="width: 838"]Temperature in a Finnish Sauna
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 61, bgcolor: #ff0000"]136°
[/TD]
[TD="width: 838"]Highest temperature ever recorded at the Earth's surface (Libya)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 61, bgcolor: #ff8000"]135°
[/TD]
[TD="width: 838"]Highest US temperature (Death Valley)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 61, bgcolor: #ff0000"]130°
[/TD]
[TD="width: 540"]Temperature reported during 1-97 Australian Open Tennis Tournament
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 61, bgcolor: #ff8000"]122°
[/TD]
[TD="width: 838"]Highest European temperature (Spain)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 61, bgcolor: #ff0000"]118°
[/TD]
[TD="width: 838"]Temperature reported during 7-95 Tennis Tournament, Washington D.C
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 61, bgcolor: #ff8000"]108°
[/TD]
[TD="width: 838"]Human core temperature which cannot be sustained during exercise
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 61, bgcolor: #ff0000"]107°
[/TD]
[TD="width: 838"]Human core temperature maintained at rest for 1 hour during whole
body heating for treating certain cancers and AIDS
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 7, bgcolor: #ff8000"]105°-
102°
[/TD]
[TD="width: 740"]Core temperature sustainable by top endurance athletes during exercise
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 7, bgcolor: #ff0000"]104°-
101.5°
[/TD]
[TD="width: 740"]Core temperature at which most athletes collapse
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 7, bgcolor: #ff8000"]104°
[/TD]
[TD="width: 740"]Temperature at which the Australian Open Tennis Tournament allows
postponement of matches
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 7, bgcolor: #ff0000"]100°
[/TD]
[TD="width: 740"]Temperature at which US Marine Corps recruit physical training was
previously halted
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 7, bgcolor: #ff8000"]90°
[/TD]
[TD="width: 740"]Temperature at which the Women's Tennis Association allows a
10-minute break between 2nd and 3rd sets
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 7, bgcolor: #ff0000"]88°
[/TD]
[TD="width: 740"]1996 US Olympic Trials, Women's 10 Km Walk, 6/18 (33%) of athletes
required medical attention for heat-related problems
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 7, bgcolor: #ff8000"]88.0°- 73.4°
[/TD]
[TD="width: 740"]1996 Olympics, Men's Marathon, 14/124 (11%) of runners required
medical attention for heat-related problems
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 7, bgcolor: #ff0000"]77.5-
70.3°
[/TD]
[TD="width: 740"]1996 Olympics, Women's Marathon, 21/86 (24%) of runners required
medical attention for heat-related problems
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Last edited by SteamingAlong; 07-18-12 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-18-12, 09:11 AM
Climbing Above It All

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't tolerate heat at all. Last weekend I really suffered on a climb with temps in the 70s but with very high humidity. Usually 70s are fine for me but there has to be some combination limit of temp and humidity that makes it tough. My daughter is the same way. She fell out on a run at practice yesterday (second time it has happened this summer). Temps were in the 70s but again with very high humidity.
Old 07-18-12, 09:26 AM

Bikes: domane trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was surprised yesterday. It was 98 in Cleveland and I did my club ride. The heat was not bad. It was a flat ride. https://connect.garmin.com/activity/200420653

Two Sundays ago I tried to do a 100 miles. Temp was 80 at the start 90 by 11am. I drank a ton of gaterade and took sports legs. By mile 65 I was cramping so bad I had to call the sag wagon. Our ave was 18.2. I should have gone slower. I drank 8 bottles that day and still lost 7lbs.
Old 07-18-12, 09:39 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Many moons ago I went to Mulhouse for a 24 hour Kart Race. I was warned about the heat but more about the Humidity. I trained in a Sauna for a month beforehand to get used to that and it helped. Temp by the way was up to 35C in the late morning and humidity was way up there. One hour at a time driving and you could not do more--Except I did a 4 hour stint at night to give the co-driver a rest. On the bike I have never found heat a problem till I stop. Wind circulating the wicking jersey keeps me cool but once stopped- instant overheat and I am done.

And high humidity means plenty of Isotonic drinks.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-18-12, 09:44 AM

Bikes: 198? Sport Racing Frame of unknown origins, 1992 Marin Bear Valley, 1970 Raleigh Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find that the heat gets to me anywhere above 90, but I can power through, provided enough time and water. The issue for me is humidity, and in CT we have a ton. Cooler temps are preferable, but I'll stick it out as long as the air isn't sticky.
Old 07-18-12, 09:46 AM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
The problem I have riding in high heat & humidity is that, although I can get through the ride OK, I never seem to fully recover for the rest of the day. It just wipes me out and makes me feel sluggish, not to mention wanting to go to bed about 9PM. This has gotten worse with age -- like everything else (I'm 65 now).
Old 07-18-12, 11:40 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I used to commute in temps up to 120 degrees. The key is to drink plenty of fluids, start drinking them 20 minutes before starting and take it easy riding. If you get a flat, find shade before working on it.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 07-18-12, 11:59 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
The commonly accepted average core body temperature (taken internally) is 37.0 °C (98.6 °F). If the air temperature is above this level, the body loses it's ability to cool itself efficiently.

I'll ride above this temperature, but it will be at a relaxed pace. I also watch my heart rate to see it it drops back to 140 bpm after hitting 150 or more.

Keep in mind that the temperatures on road are going to be higher than what is reported by weather sensors, which are typically away heat absorbing and retaining surfaces.

This ride provided some warm weather, my Garmin recorded 107.6f.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/193665173
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 07-18-12 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-18-12, 02:21 PM
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've noticed a big difference in whether the road is dark colored or lighter. The same thing about riding in sunny days versus an overcast. You add in humidity and things become very complicated.
Old 07-18-12, 02:26 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A lot depends on the individual. I think people have different optimal operating temperatures. I remember being in a cross-country ski race years ago. The temp was a couple of degrees below 0 Celsius. I can tell when it's below zero C because if I don't have gloves on, my hands freeze. Also, my performance is somewhat sluggish in colder temps. The guy who won that race was from Germany. He had been on the German Olympic Nordic Combined team, and he showed up at the start line without gloves, ready to go.

But any time I did masters bike races in Mexico or Guatemala, I'd feel really strong, even in the heat at sea level along the coast. My joints just feel like they're more "lubricated," and I just go faster.

But then I can usually tell when I'm going too hard in the heat. I can feel my face start to feel like it's paraliyzed. Weird feeling, but a definite sign to back off!

Luis
Old 07-18-12, 02:52 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Arizona: It's a dry heat. But that head in the oven heat can really do it to you, and hydration is of course the real key. I've added miles after summer group rides and ended up out for extended periods at about 115*F, on asphalt, in the direct sun. I've recorded 117*. A couple of times I was definitely on the edge, stopping at every convenience store for ice and water, which I drank in copius quantities and also poured over my head. I've gone through 250-300 ounces of water on a ride. Riding in that heat is doable, but dangerous if you don't have constant access to water and ice. Thank you Circle K, McDonald's, and QuickStop!
Old 07-18-12, 03:38 PM
TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Was treated in my ER monday night for heat exhaustion after a fifty mile ride. 98 degrees and about 70%+ humidity. Went through 8 24 oz bottles of water couldn't take in enough liquids. Classic signs lingered after my ride, dry mouth, nausea, headache, weakness, bradycardia and cramps. 4 ltrs NSS later and I was good to go. Heat is a sneaky character. Definitely will blindside you. Lp
Old 07-18-12, 07:38 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
88f is my cutoff point for anything more than 20 miles. On several occasions I've ridden 94-95deg this year but after last friday's ride I'm done with hot rides. I've had touches of heat exhaustion twice. It's not worth it. Wipes me out for a couple days. I'll do a strava hill challenge in the hot weather but it better be a short ride.
Old 07-18-12, 09:41 PM
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
There is a magic temperature. 107 degrees F is generally considered the limit for your core temperature. But as a number of us have shown, you can ride successfully in hotter temperatures and keep your core temperature in safe limits. You just need to be careful. Ice is magic. Evaporative headbands and neckerchiefs are wonderful. But you have to be sure to take it easy. Don't charge around like its a 60 degree day.

Cycling in 120 degree heat.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 07-18-12 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-19-12, 03:17 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe I got over heated yesterday. I had done 5 miles of very gentle hill repeats and was feeling fine. I decided to stop at the top of the hill before doing 5 more miles. When I stopped I felt like something was not right. I looked at my HRM and my heart rate was 140 which is high for me. I started getting light headed and nausea set in and I felt like I needed to potty. This went on for about 5 minutes and then my heart rate started coming down. This is when the lower back of my head starts to ache.

I called the last part of the ride off and walked 1/2 mile home. During the walk I noticed that I was dehydrated even though I had the slosh in the stomach and I had hydrated well all day long.

When I got home I checked blood pressure and sugar levels and everything was close enough to normal.

I didn't pay much attention to the temp yesterday and don't even know what the max was. But it was lower that our hottest days this year.

Today is another day and I will take it a little easier than I did yesterday and see what happens.

My thinking is that no matter what the temp, when the body says that it needs a break then I give it a break. I never use the philosophy that pain is temporary but quitting is forever. I like the recoup and ride another day philosophy.
Old 07-19-12, 03:52 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by jim p
Maybe I got over heated yesterday. I had done 5 miles of very gentle hill repeats and was feeling fine. I decided to stop at the top of the hill before doing 5 more miles. When I stopped I felt like something was not right. I looked at my HRM and my heart rate was 140 which is high for me. I started getting light headed and nausea set in and I felt like I needed to potty. This went on for about 5 minutes and then my heart rate started coming down. This is when the lower back of my head starts to ache.

I called the last part of the ride off and walked 1/2 mile home. During the walk I noticed that I was dehydrated even though I had the slosh in the stomach and I had hydrated well all day long.

When I got home I checked blood pressure and sugar levels and everything was close enough to normal.

I didn't pay much attention to the temp yesterday and don't even know what the max was. But it was lower that our hottest days this year.

Today is another day and I will take it a little easier than I did yesterday and see what happens.

My thinking is that no matter what the temp, when the body says that it needs a break then I give it a break. I never use the philosophy that pain is temporary but quitting is forever. I like the recoup and ride another day philosophy.
Heat will do you in. It shuts the engine down. My introduction to heat exhaustion was increased heart rate and breathing for a simple ride that should've been easy. The "drivetrain" and "suspension" were good to go but the engine overheated. If on a distance ride I'll look for a place to get my head wet and sit in the shade. Hydration may or may not have a bearing on it, you just get too hot. Good ole sunshine can bring it on even in not-so-hot 82deg weather.
Old 07-19-12, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Artkansas
There is a magic temperature. 107 degrees F is generally considered the limit for your core temperature. But as a number of us have shown, you can ride successfully in hotter temperatures and keep your core temperature in safe limits. You just need to be careful. Ice is magic. Evaporative headbands and neckerchiefs are wonderful. But you have to be sure to take it easy. Don't charge around like its a 60 degree day.

Cycling in 120 degree heat.
We had our church group handing out ice cold water on a 95deg 4th of July parade. At the end of the day we were finished. Throughout the day I'd open a cooler and put my arms in the icewater chilling my forearms and hands. The effects are amazing when you chill the extremeties. The heat becomes tolerable.
Old 07-19-12, 01:55 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I've done a century with temp at 105F and heat index of about 112F, and I was really suffering at end, but OK. During the last 30 miles, my feet were absolutely on fire. I also remember a much short ride in similar conditions and called my wife to alert her that I may need a pickup. Just depends on the individual, level of fitness and level of hydration (both pre-ride and maintenance during ride). Balanced electrolytes are your friend.
Old 07-19-12, 08:56 PM

Bikes: Soma Stanyan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in San Francisco average temp is in the 60s, when I ride in hot weather I suffer. I grew up in Arizona until I was 16 where temps in the summer were well over 100 and remember playing golf and baseball in that weather. Now anything over the high 70's I suffer. Courious about this I found our national weather service has great advice on hot weather https://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/heat/index.shtml.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
heatindex.jpg (98.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-19-12, 09:18 PM

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by apesrunner58
I was surprised yesterday. It was 98 in Cleveland and I did my club ride. The heat was not bad. It was a flat ride. https://connect.garmin.com/activity/200420653

Two Sundays ago I tried to do a 100 miles. Temp was 80 at the start 90 by 11am. I drank a ton of gaterade and took sports legs. By mile 65 I was cramping so bad I had to call the sag wagon. Our ave was 18.2. I should have gone slower. I drank 8 bottles that day and still lost 7lbs.
Gatorade may have actually contributed to your problem, since it contains too much sugar. To digest the sugar, your body may bring water from your system to your stomach to digest the sugar -- not what you want. What you want is for the fluids to move as quickly as possible from the stomach to your system. It may be better to hydrate with plain water or water with an electrolyte such as NUUN. If you must drink Gatorade, dulute it with 50% water.
Old 07-20-12, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8271 Post(s)
Liked 9,024 Times in 4,468 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG
The problem I have riding is that, although I can get through the ride OK, I never seem to fully recover for the rest of the day. It just wipes me out and makes me feel sluggish, not to mention wanting to go to bed about 9PM. This has gotten worse with age -- like everything else (I'm 58 now).
fixed it for me

As to heat, I work outside over hot engines, so I think I have an advantage over some people, unless I am wiped out from the work week.

I think surviving the heat has a lot to do with aclimitazation, hydration, and genetics.
Old 07-20-12, 09:03 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 1,054 Posts
Here's a new word and new concept for you: crepuscular.