Search
Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

handcycle racing regulations

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-12, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
handcycle racing regulations

I have been searching for a set of handcycling bike regulations for some time. I am having a custom bike built and I need to clear some things up. Does any one if there is a standard set of regulations? I am specificly interested in drive hubs. I would like to to use a Rohloff internal gear hub. I know that it has 14 gears and if I ran a dual chainring at the dottom bracket it would give me more gears than the standard gear set up would have. I am planing on just running 1 drive gear. Any info would be helpfull.

Thanks
Old 07-20-12, 10:06 AM

Bikes: Invacare Force 3 handcycle

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Here's the regs from the US Handcycle Federation. PDF link The main classifications are the level of injury.
HC 1 - Tetraplegia or other mobility impairments without tricep, finger or thermo-regulatory function(s). May
include SCI C1 - C6.
HC 2 - Tetraplegia, Paraplegia or other mobility impairments with limited tricep, finger or thermo-regulatory
function(s). May includes SCI C7 through T3.
HC 3 - Paraplegia & other mobility impairments with limited trunk stability. May include SCI T4-T8.
HC 4 - All others, to include SCI T9 and below, cerebral palsy, amputees, etc.
Main handcycle restriction.
A handcycle is defined as a 3-wheeled cycle with a standard bicycle drivetrain and standard bicycle
crankarms. A handcycle must be operated by pedaling, shifting, braking, and steering using ONLY the
upper body to perform said functions. The maximum wheelbase for a handcycle is 65 inches.
Handcycles with a drivetrain operated by a mechanism other than standard bicycle crankarms, or
handcycles with only two wheels are not recognized as "legal" equipment as stated in the definition
above. All handcycles operated in IPC cycling events must have a guard to protect the rider from the
outer chainring on the crankarm.
Old 07-21-12, 10:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thhanks I was able to get most of the information that I need.
Old 07-24-12, 03:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is the latest 2012 Rules & Technical Guidelines: https://www.ushf.org/forms/2012_ushcs_tech_guide.pdf

You want to read page 7 and page 8.
Old 07-24-12, 03:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For road races, your custom bike will need to have a rear draft bar.
Old 07-30-12, 07:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been working closely with the USHF on each individual item I am proposing. Thanks for all the help.
Old 09-24-12, 02:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well my Bike is in the full scale drawing stage. The builder has been working with the UCI and the Handcycling Division to get some things approved.

I pose a question to you: what is your thoughts on this statement " shifting controls have to be within the extremeties of the crank arms "

My take on this statement is the the shifter has to somewhere "between" the two handgips. Using my interpretation the shifter does not have to be mounted on the grips it can be frame mounted somewhere between the crank arms. I am trying to eliminate all cables from both hand grips since I ride mostly open roads but I want to still be within the guidlines so I can compete at santioned events.

I would apreciate your thoughts on this.

Also we have not heard back on the use of a carbon drive system. I don's see why there would be an issue since the belt is completely sandwitched between two plates and this makes it virtualy impossible to get your fingers stuck on them. This would eliminate the use of a hard mounted sprocket guard. Thoughts?

Thanks
cruiser

Last edited by cruiserkb; 09-24-12 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-01-12, 09:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserkb
I pose a question to you: what is your thoughts on this statement " shifting controls have to be within the extremeties of the crank arms "

My take on this statement is the the shifter has to somewhere "between" the two handgips. Using my interpretation the shifter does not have to be mounted on the grips it can be frame mounted somewhere between the crank arms. I am trying to eliminate all cables from both hand grips since I ride mostly open roads but I want to still be within the guidlines so I can compete at santioned events.
Yes, the shifter can be mounted on the frame or fork within reach. Some people have their chainring and derailleur shifters mounted on the front fork within finger reach when the crank arms are forward.
Old 10-03-12, 01:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardL.
Yes, the shifter can be mounted on the frame or fork within reach. Some people have their chainring and derailleur shifters mounted on the front fork within finger reach when the crank arms are forward.
I was planning on runing my break levers out there any ways so this will help keep everything clean and functional. Since am using a Rohllof hub and an elctronic shifter The lag in shifting will be obsolete while not moving the crankarms.

Thanks.