Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Friend who won't listen

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Friend who won't listen

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-12, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Friend who won't listen

I have a friend who got bit hard by the cycling bug this year, much to my surprise. I wholeheartedly support his new hobby/lifestyle change but he refuses to take any of my advice when it comes to spending money. I advised him not to buy a Walmart bike but he did so anyway and ended up realizing he made a mistake after trying a friend's real bike out. Now he has a better bike but won't let me help him with the most basic repairs. I offer to do it for him for free (because it's fun for me) and give him replacement parts from my collection but he insists on going to a bike shop for simple things. I won't pretend I never spent too much money at the bike shop in my more ignorant days, but I feel like I have come a long way in being a competent mechanic and resourceful at finding free or low cost replacement parts. I know there are plenty of honest bike shop employees who won't exploit people who don't know any better, but I also know people like him are the bread and butter of any bike shop and most will try to sell him something every step of the way. I don't want to start a debate on the value of local bike shops and the convenience/cost trade-off that most people are happy to live with, but one of the main reasons I enjoy cycling is that most people's repair needs can be met very cheaply outside of the retail establishment. How do I convince someone who doesn't know any better that he doesn't need to spend so much money on very simple repairs?
Old 07-22-12, 08:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't waste your time.
Old 07-22-12, 08:35 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
can lead a horse to water ...
Old 07-22-12, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with flippin, I wouldn't bother trying. Some people just have different outlooks on how to get things done, and they're probably not going to be changing those outlooks anytime soon.
Old 07-22-12, 08:37 PM
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,433 Times in 2,759 Posts
Yes, he obviously doesn't want your help.
Old 07-22-12, 08:38 PM

Bikes: Limongi custom road; GT Avalanche 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Enjoy riding with him, but everyone's going to pursue the hobby in their own way.
Old 07-22-12, 08:43 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Doesn't sound like much of a friend. I would personally consider any 'friend' who rejected my help and input so wholly, disposable. But then, I'm a wrench, too....
Old 07-22-12, 08:45 PM

Bikes: Mongoose Switchback

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"The art of giving advice to best friends is to make them believe that they thought of it themselves."
Old 07-22-12, 08:56 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah I kind of suspect that no matter how hard I try my words are falling on deaf ears. He also wants to buy a full carbon bike after going to a couple races with a different friend of his even though a racing bike is in no way suitable for his commuting/recreational needs.
Old 07-22-12, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
You kinda sound like a busybody. Let him enjoy himself. Who the hell are you to declare what's suitable for him?
Old 07-22-12, 08:59 PM

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Crux, Schwinn Mesa

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by catmandew52
"The art of giving advice to best friends is to make them believe that they thought of it themselves."
Since you have already tried the normal approach of advising this^^ is the only other viable option. Should that fail then you must just accept that your friend is going to do things his way.
Old 07-22-12, 09:03 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I understand it's his money to do with what he pleases but this guy has a history of making poor financial decisions in other aspects of his life and I'm just trying to save a friend from himself.
Old 07-22-12, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Some days you educate, other days you accommodate. Relax.
Old 07-22-12, 10:31 PM

Bikes: CCM 21 speed big box special.....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah let him do what he wants, mind your own business and just ride.
Old 07-23-12, 06:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
You kinda sound like a busybody. Let him enjoy himself. Who the hell are you to declare what's suitable for him?
+1

Leave him be.

If you want to have blazing arguments about people who do things differently to you then join in a helmet thread. Or better yet, chainlube.

(Me - I only ever wear drylube on my head. Anyone who does different is a fool)
Old 07-23-12, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
From Will Rogers...

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
Old 07-23-12, 06:34 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
If I bought a replacement bike, a brand new bike that's much better than the old one, it might just be under some kind of warranty and the bike shop might just do stuff to get it going right. Then after a year or so, the reality sets in and the short term warranty runs out. Small adjustments will need to be made so the shifting works better as the cables start to stretch.

When you ride with him, you can discuss bikes and repairs but don't speak about how much money you can save. Stay focused on the maintenance issue and the various solutions. And don't knock bike shops and how much they charge compared to what you can do it for. That part may be the thing he doesn't like to hear.
Old 07-23-12, 06:58 AM
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nitram612
I have a friend who got bit hard by the cycling bug this year, much to my surprise. I wholeheartedly support his new hobby/lifestyle change but he refuses to take any of my advice when it comes to spending money. I advised him not to buy a Walmart bike but he did so anyway and ended up realizing he made a mistake after trying a friend's real bike out. Now he has a better bike but won't let me help him with the most basic repairs. I offer to do it for him for free (because it's fun for me) and give him replacement parts from my collection but he insists on going to a bike shop for simple things. I won't pretend I never spent too much money at the bike shop in my more ignorant days, but I feel like I have come a long way in being a competent mechanic and resourceful at finding free or low cost replacement parts. I know there are plenty of honest bike shop employees who won't exploit people who don't know any better, but I also know people like him are the bread and butter of any bike shop and most will try to sell him something every step of the way. I don't want to start a debate on the value of local bike shops and the convenience/cost trade-off that most people are happy to live with, but one of the main reasons I enjoy cycling is that most people's repair needs can be met very cheaply outside of the retail establishment. How do I convince someone who doesn't know any better that he doesn't need to spend so much money on very simple repairs?
Why is this your problem?

Seriously, you've made an offer, the offer has been declined, so let it go.

If nothing else he might be thinking about the warranty on his bike. When my bike was within its warranty period absolutely anything it needed went straight to the LBS, I didn't even want to twiddle with it. Now it's out of warranty I'm more inclined to fiddle with it myself.

Whatever his reasoning, it's his bike and his money so if he'd rather pay someone to fix it than have you fix it for free that's his choice to make.
Old 07-23-12, 06:59 AM
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jolly_ross
+1

Leave him be.

If you want to have blazing arguments about people who do things differently to you then join in a helmet thread. Or better yet, chainlube.

(Me - I only ever wear drylube on my head. Anyone who does different is a fool)
I find threading the chain through the gaps in my helmet is tricky. Not only that but it makes a nasty rattling sound, and I think parts of the helmet bounce against the ground when I ride. Should I be using a different type of helmet?
Old 07-23-12, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
You should see how much free legal advice gets ignored. Almost always. Even the tightwads don't listen. So, get over it and move on. bk
Old 07-23-12, 08:50 AM

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
"You can't save everyone" is advice that is not heeded by one who is commited to try saving everyone!

Keep trying to save your friend, don't give up. Make it your sole purpose in life to save this fool, it is your destiny!
Old 07-23-12, 08:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
been there. step back and watch the chaos.

you can't save anyone from themselves.
Old 07-23-12, 09:06 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
.... what? I wasn't paying attention

hope they learn something new, each shop visit..
Old 07-23-12, 09:07 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Nitram612
How do I convince someone who doesn't know any better?
I'm thinking you don't have any kids.
Old 07-23-12, 09:10 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
^^^^ Hits Nail on The Head...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.