Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Open letter and an apology

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-24-12, 12:20 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts

Now that I'm afraid to go back to my own thread...

I had no idea that my ill-considered comments on another thread would incite such passion. As a non-racer, I don't have any "skin in the game" when it comes to the pursuit of speed. However, if I dedicated myself to racing and trained conscientiously to be the best I could possibly be, I now realize I would be totally offended by flippant accusations of "doping".

It occurred to me that doping is an accusation that you can never totally clear yourself from, even with numerous negative tests. "Do you still beat your wife?", I was asked. No, but of course I can't prove that. Point well taken.

I acknowledge my own comments were flippant, and I sincerely apologize for them. You racers continue to have my utmost respect.

Now go out there and crush some souls.

Old 07-24-12, 12:38 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fair enough. Big of you to apologise. For the record, I didn't take it personally - were I doping you'd only have to watch me race once to know that whatever I was taking didn't work.
Old 07-24-12, 01:25 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I wasnt offended in any way. Surely appreciate your integrity of character to post an apology, though.
Old 07-24-12, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Kudos for the apology!
Old 07-24-12, 01:47 PM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm not a racer. I wasn't even a racer back when I raced, in my 20s. The closest I can say I come these days is that I aspire to become a racer wannabe. I doubt that I'll ever get there.

As far as doping is concerned, though, I do admit to ingesting caffeine, in tea. There. I've said it, and it's out in the open and I feel better about it. Coffee, though, no way. I don't go near the hard stuff. I've seen too much misery and devastation in my lifetime.

Last edited by CraigB; 07-25-12 at 04:41 AM.
Old 07-24-12, 01:54 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree -- it shows a lot of integrity and fortitude to be willing and able to apologize...

I merely wanted to point out that there are many instances where the accused is guilty until or unless he can prove himself innocent as soon as he is accused -- and often it is impossible to prove innocence...

I remember my mom coming home from being on jury duty very frustrated. The trial she was on ended in a hung jury and had to be retried because, although 11 jurers said the person was innocent one said: "If he wasn't guilty the cop would not have arrested him"...

r, in my case, as a student nurse I really enjoyed doing an internship at our local children's hospital. But, I was afraid to apply there and work there because, as a male, all it would take to destroy a career is for one parent to say: "He touched my son wrong....."
... If that happens, it doesn't matter how many times you prove yourself innocent. In the eyes of the world you are guilty.

... It's not just doping where being accused is the same as being guilty...
Old 07-24-12, 03:34 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Accepted... thanks Dudel.
Old 07-24-12, 03:45 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
What does it mean if cycling is like dope to me?

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 07-24-12, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Old 07-24-12, 06:46 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice apology.
I read the thread, it was pretty outrageous. One "offended" poster called anyone who does not train regularly lazy, I doubt you will see an apology there. You may or may not be correct in that there is at least one poster who is a die hard racer who uses some substance to "help", however the odds are in your favor. But there is no reason to insinuate that there is someone here who dopes except if you want to get a reaction, i.e. are doing a little trolling. Just let it go, but if you want MHO "The lady doth protest too much, methinks".
Old 07-24-12, 06:55 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
But there is no reason to insinuate that there is someone here who dopes except if you want to get a reaction, i.e. are doing a little trolling. Just let it go, but if you want MHO "The lady doth protest too much, methinks".
LOL. You do know the meaning of the word "insinuate", I suppose? And are able to apply that understanding to your concluding sentence? Maybe not.
Old 07-24-12, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Doping is really a loaded term. I got some EPO (Aranesp) years ago when doing chemo, and I can affirm that that stuff is magic juice. A few points on the hematocrit can make a big difference in how you feel when your red count is low, and I can imagine that when you're feeling good, a few points could really give you an edge. I fully understand the lure of doping, and why those who don't do it resent those who do.
Old 07-24-12, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I actually thought that thread would be a humorous take on how many medicines could be found in the medicine cabinets of 50+ forum members.
Old 07-24-12, 08:16 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Kurt Erlenbach
Doping is really a loaded term. I got some EPO (Aranesp) years ago when doing chemo, and I can affirm that that stuff is magic juice. A few points on the hematocrit can make a big difference in how you feel when your red count is low...
I know how terrible I feel if I try to ride after giving blood. I can only imagine being that much BETTER than normal by way of a few extra red blood cells!
Old 07-24-12, 08:46 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Just now read the thread in question........
Dope? Who, me???
I've been known to carry a small can of Starbucks Double Shot Expresso on the Hilly Hundred - they don't serve coffee at any of the SAG's.
Old 07-25-12, 06:23 AM

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Sorry, just flashed back to college in the 70's.
Old 07-25-12, 09:33 AM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice apology.
I read the thread, it was pretty outrageous. One "offended" poster called anyone who does not train regularly lazy, I doubt you will see an apology there. You may or may not be correct in that there is at least one poster who is a die hard racer who uses some substance to "help", however the odds are in your favor. But there is no reason to insinuate that there is someone here who dopes except if you want to get a reaction, i.e. are doing a little trolling. Just let it go, but if you want MHO "The lady doth protest too much, methinks".
Wow... talk about contradicting yourself within the span of a short paragraph. And has been pointed out, statistically it is far more likely that there are those guilty of far more gievous offenses posting on this part of the board, than it is there is a doper on the racing sub-forum. Truly pathetic that an apology thread gets polluted by a post making additional accusations. Sheesh.
Old 07-25-12, 02:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
I actually thought that thread would be a humorous take on how many medicines could be found in the medicine cabinets of 50+ forum members.
UMMMM i don`t want anyone opening my ''Drug Drawer''.... Nothing in there OFFICER but ummm...... How`d that get in there.?? All Natural stuff and thats my only answer
Old 07-25-12, 03:48 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigB
As far as doping is concerned, though, I do admit to ingesting caffeine. . .
But wait CraigB.

Caffeine is legal with the UCI. No worries! Good thing too since I drink lots of coffee and even save the occsional Red Bull for consumption at about mile 170 on a double century!

Rick / OCRR
Old 07-26-12, 04:41 AM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
Wow... talk about contradicting yourself within the span of a short paragraph. And has been pointed out, statistically it is far more likely that there are those guilty of far more gievous offenses posting on this part of the board, than it is there is a doper on the racing sub-forum. Truly pathetic that an apology thread gets polluted by a post making additional accusations. Sheesh.
Sheesh is right - I did not accuse anybody of anything other than making the same sort of outrageous statements - i.e. if you don't train you are lazy.
Stating that the odds are in the OPs favor is not an accusation, it is a simple statement of statistics. The sad thing here is that it really doesn't matter one rat's rear end. As I stated the OP made a nice apology and the way I see it he is not the only one who has some'pologiz'n to do.
Old 07-26-12, 06:44 AM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the way I see it he is not the only one who has some'pologiz'n to do.
That's the first thing you've gotten right.
Old 07-26-12, 04:25 PM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hmmm - somebody didn't take thier narcissitic medications today. I guess they would be considered PEDs.
Old 07-26-12, 04:35 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hmmm - somebody didn't take thier narcissitic medications today. I guess they would be considered PEDs.
Have you never heard the expression " when you're in a hole, stop digging" ?

Seriously, intervening in someone's apology to repeat the allegations he's apologising for shows a certain lack of social skills, even by my pachydermous standards. And defending that error pf judgment with insults isn't necessarily strengthening your position...
Old 07-26-12, 05:55 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I think I will hold a grudge on this till the cows come home.

Wait, the cows came home a long time ago.
Old 07-26-12, 06:18 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Gravity Aided
Sorry, just flashed back to college in the 70's.
Me too. When I saw that thread title, I was thinking about....

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 07-26-12 at 06:23 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.